Worth the skimmer upgrade?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jshiloh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jshiloh

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 23, 2018
Messages
132
Reaction score
56
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 120G main display and a 60G cube sharing the same 50G sump and it's Heavily stocked. Total system size roughly 200G. I currently have a reef octopus 150int skimmer and it's pulling a full cup in roughly 2-3 days. Should I upsize my simmer? I found a decent deal on a used external reef octopus 200E. Or should I go say 250 E. My idea is to upsize skimmer if necessary and turn my skimmer section into a grab section.
Thanks for the advice
 
Questions — what is the problem and what are you trying to achieve?

I usually get the biggest skimmer I can afford and fit inside the sump but that’s just me. As for external skimmer, I personally don’t like it — need an extra pump and potentially can leak. If it ever leak in the future, I would prefer to have it leak inside the sump and not on the floor. My 2c

Assume you want to free up room and start a refugium? Without knowing your water volume and sump size, I suspect it might not be big enough to make an impact on nutrient exports.
 
Goals are this .... help lower nutrients and I would just get a bigger one for the skimmer section however I have a triton sump so the refugium is huge but the skimmer section is smaller so not really any room for a bigger internal. I was going to turn the skimmer section into a frag section .
As far as a pump for the skimmer, I would run a return pump and then put a Neptune flow meter
on it to determine the flow
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 33.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 20.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new