Worth trying SPS for my tank?

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely do as others have mentioned. If you really do want to try sps, start off with some easy ones and see how they do in your tank. If they do well, slowly progress to adding a few more.

Also, I can agree that once you start buying sps and they thrive, the want for more will consume you! I am a victim of this haha.

phixman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also like to suggest meeting local reefers, I spent way too much money on sps & corals. I recently stopped buying more corals, and instead trading with local reefers, you will get free frags and you will have a backup in case you have a tank crash or a colony dies, which happens from time to time randomly over night. To be honest, I personally don't do a lot of maintenance on my tank. I currently have a 20 gallon nuvo, I have apex, and DOS, I test maybe once a month, and alk weekly. If I notice my levels dropping, I increase my dosing by 20% until I get to where I want them, and slowly dropping the dosage until the levels are stable. I also suggest good, flow, a good light. A skimmer and way to export nutrients, mine is macro algae. I don't do water changes, unless something bad happens. I spend, maybe 1 hour a week on maintenance which will change once Trident is out.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you understand that SPS really means Steadfast Parameter Sampling; then you are ready.

If you think it stands for small polyp stony corals that looks super cool, then you are not ready yet.

Test your alk every 3 days. EVERY 3 days. and your nitrates and phos and calcium every weekend. If you find it fun to write down the numbers, track trends, and understand what affects what, then you probably have what it takes to keep SPS. In my experience, that is what it takes. That, and a lot of disposable income. No, like twice the number you currently have in your head.

:)

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Psssst.. hey kid.. you want to try a chunk of sunset montipora? Here, take it, it's free.

4 months later, strung out on Jason fox, crusing ebay at work, setting reminders on your phone for live auctions, going online to buy one frag then packing shopping carts because "well, I am paying $45 for shipping..." Snickering at people who are excited over PC rainbow frags.

it's all real. You will love it, you will hate it, you will be significantly poorer.

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if there is a local forum here on r2r for your local area, ask for a free frag.
you'd be surprised to see there are still a few generous reefers left out there that will give you a free frag and expect nothing in return. but you have to ask.

To answer your question, I think you know your tank best and you should be able to answer your own question. I think trying is the ultimate way to find out.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back