Would a 6 inch deep frag tank work?

Hellybell80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have a question about whether a 6 inch deep frag system would work.
I'm able to get my hands on for free 2 72"x26"x6"
Both been used before for a fresh fish system. Used in my brother in laws fish business.
Already have holes drilled for plumbing. They are designed to be above each other.
It comes with a well worn stand, which I will build a new metal stand to have them as was designed above each other.
But I'm concerned with them being only 6inch deep. Is this just too shallow?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6" is fine, provided you are able to achieve the desired par across the tank (the risk obviously being photoinhibition with too much par). Provided that is dealt with, the only real negatives are the lack of depth, so you may be somewhat limited by which corals you could grow and you would be more limited in some of the fish you could house (if you were putting any fish into your frag system). Otherwise, those sound like fun projects and will make awesome frag tanks. I would scoop them right up and have fun growing!

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use shallow hydroponic trays for my frag growout systems. They're shorter (44") but just about as shallow (~7-8").

Shallow trays are great for frag growout in general, the only downside I have found is the high evaporation rate. This causes loss of water and loss of heat. To beat it, you'll need a lid. I use a big sheet of acrylic for this because I couldnt find a big enough piece of glass. Without a lid, you won't be able to maintain temps and you'll be refilling the ATO daily. With a lid, shallow trays like this work great.

OP
OP
Hellybell80

Hellybell80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for the replies guys. I think I'll give it a go.
I'll still have to stack them to fit them into the dinning room. Think I'll get some t5 bulbs for it. Cheaper set up, plus leds might be too strong on the lower one.
I've got an old 4ft tank ill use for a sump. I can just add acrylic sheets as baffles, i can make the sections to the size i want then.
I'll set it up with an ato. see if I can find something for a lid.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back