Would a powder blue hate being in a 75G?

Would a powder blue hate being in a 75G?

• Yes! It would probably die of spite, then haunt you forever.

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • Yes, it would live, but have a miserable existence.

Votes: 21 28.8%
  • No, as long as it's small it will be okay.

Votes: 21 28.8%
  • No, it can live a full and happy life in a 75G tank.

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • I don't know, but I really want to answer the poll.

Votes: 9 12.3%

• Total voters

botheboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my powder blue in a 40 breeder for a couple months while my 180 was cycling. He beat the tar everything in the tank. Not much has changed toward other tangs but he’s not as aggressive towards other fish in the big tank. Yes I believe he would die for being in a 75 but I’m sure he wouldn’t be happy about it. Mine also swims end to end constantly at only about 4”
Wouldn’t die from

Pmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my powder blue in a 40 breeder for a couple months while my 180 was cycling. He beat the tar everything in the tank. Not much has changed toward other tangs but he’s not as aggressive towards other fish in the big tank. Yes I believe he would die for being in a 75 but I’m sure he wouldn’t be happy about it. Mine also swims end to end constantly at only about 4”
And he already has a YT in the tank from the pic. Maybe if he didn't a small one would work for a while, but I would think it's too small for two.

botheboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And he already has a YT in the tank from the pic. Maybe if he didn't a small one would work for a while, but I would think it's too small for two.
Yeah I do agree that yellow would probably be a casualty of war and yes two is definitely not a good situation.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recognize the open invitation to the tang police with a thread like this but I would acknowledge that 75 is more than doable for a baby with the expectation that you’ll rehome once it over grows the tank. Standard 75 is 48” which is a respectable length for swim lanes which imho is better than cube. If you’re trying to raise it into old age then yes go get an ocean gallon size. Lol. Im personally okay with my 75 and swapping out tangs every couple years so I can enjoy the fish and not have to go too big in tank. Part of being good fish keepers

mdrobc13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine swims constantly and is about 5" long and I have a 6 foot 210+ gal tank. No way I could see one being happy and living long in a 75g unless he was your ONLY fish. Putting him in there with a yellow tang (I think someone mentioned you have one too) would be asking for a disaster it seems like. I have mine in with two YT and a purple tang and they're all fine along with a few other tangs but there's space to roam. Good luck with that.

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is great that you asked for peoples experiences before making up your mind. I am very new to keeping a PBT. I have a small one about 3" that I just added to my 180g and just based on what I have seen thus far, they seem to really use the swimming space so a 75 would most likely not be big enough for very long at all.

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for posting here and sharing your experience! I carefully considered all the information here, and in the end, decided to err on the side of caution.

Meet my new Flame Fin Bristletooth:
IMG_9927 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

And I also got this guy because he had a super cool personality:
IMG_9919 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Whiskey

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back