Would a powder blue hate being in a 75G?

Would a powder blue hate being in a 75G?

• Yes! It would probably die of spite, then haunt you forever.

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • Yes, it would live, but have a miserable existence.

Votes: 21 28.8%
  • No, as long as it's small it will be okay.

Votes: 21 28.8%
  • No, it can live a full and happy life in a 75G tank.

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • I don't know, but I really want to answer the poll.

Votes: 9 12.3%

• Total voters

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I think I know the answer to this,.. BUT!

Years ago, back in the 2000's when I first got into this hobby many places would recommend a minimum of a 55 gallon for a powder blue. I had one in my 180 SPS reef for years, and it is my favorite fish ever.

These days I only have a 75G. It has a light fish load, and is well setup. When I look at the recommended tank size now they typically list 125, or 180.

So my question is,.. do you think the fish would hate being in this tank?
IMG_9723 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Whiskey

Friday24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I think I know the answer to this,.. BUT!

Years ago, back in the 2000's when I first got into this hobby many places would recommend a minimum of a 55 gallon for a powder blue. I had one in my 180 SPS reef for years, and it is my favorite fish ever.

These days I only have a 75G. It has a light fish load, and is well setup. When I look at the recommended tank size now they typically list 125, or 180.

So my question is,.. do you think the fish would hate being in this tank?
IMG_9723 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Whiskey

75 is too small for any adult tang. May be ok for a little while if you get a small juvenile, but will out grow a 75 very quickly....IMO

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer...yes. that being said if you got a really small one like say 3 inches it would be fine for at least a year. After that it's time to rehome or upgrade your tank to at least a 125. Here is where I get crazy. Would you consider a hybrid? I recently picked up a PB/ Whitecheek hybrid and to be honest I like it better than a PB. Plus it has some of the benefits of a Whitecheek like being less aggressive and requiring a smaller tank. This pic is crap compared to what the fish actually looks like, it is almost as purple as my purple tang.
20180320_162958.jpg

Seanislav

Rectangular Money Pit Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer...yes. that being said if you got a really small one like say 3 inches it would be fine for at least a year. After that it's time to rehome or upgrade your tank to at least a 125. Here is where I get crazy. Would you consider a hybrid? I recently picked up a PB/ Whitecheek hybrid and to be honest I like it better than a PB. Plus it has some of the benefits of a Whitecheek like being less aggressive and requiring a smaller tank. This pic is crap compared to what the fish actually looks like, it is almost as purple as my purple tang.
20180320_162958.jpg
Where do you find one of those? I've only seen PBs.

Friday24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180320_162958.jpg

Not sure the logic in the Whitecheek requiring a smaller tank when it grows to the same size as a PB...

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However......it can be done given the proper husbandry. I had my PBT in a 90, which is only a couple of inches taller than a 75, for over 10 years before I transferred it into a 170 where it lived an additional 7 years. It only grew to about 6” .....

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However......it can be done given the proper husbandry. I had my PBT in a 90, which is only a couple of inches taller than a 75, for over 10 years before I transferred it into a 170 where it lived an additional 7 years. It only grew to about 6” .....
Ah, but given the proper husbandry it will reach it's full size. If it doesn't reach it's full size then it's growth was stunted. And growth being stunted is due to negative factors, not positive ones.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all reality a small pbt will probably be fine in a 75 for many years. 75, 125, 200, etc. It's not like it even compares to its original habitat. If you keep water quality perfect and feed the fish regularly with a variety of frozen food the pbt will be just fine.
I'm not gonna mention the fish load I have in my 92g right now because a lot of you will say it won't work, they will all die from stress and disease, but they have all been healthy for 2+ years now.

Syed123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a 75 gallon will be fine, provided it's the only Tang in the tank and the aquascape is open so it maximizes swim space. However, take into consideration it may need to be removed if it starts pacing, becoming overly aggressive etc.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the others unless you plan to buy small and upgrade big in the very near future. Some fish are just not meant for our smaller tanks :)

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PBT was in a 240g and it was all over the place most of the time. I can’t imagine it would be as okay in something 1/3 the size. Could it live? Probably. Would it be as healthy? Probably not.

Some kind of bristletooth, that aren’t as aggressive and that don’t seem to swim longer lengths would be my choice in a smaller tank.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, but given the proper husbandry it will reach it's full size. If it doesn't reach it's full size then it's growth was stunted. And growth being stunted is due to negative factors, not positive ones.

Couldn't agree more. a 75 gal is not an ethical home for a powder blue tang, or any acanthurus tang.

In all reality a small pbt will probably be fine in a 75 for many years. 75, 125, 200, etc. It's not like it even compares to its original habitat. If you keep water quality perfect and feed the fish regularly with a variety of frozen food the pbt will be just fine.
I'm not gonna mention the fish load I have in my 92g right now because a lot of you will say it won't work, they will all die from stress and disease, but they have all been healthy for 2+ years now.

I couldn't disagree with this statement any more. Just because you COULD do something, doesn't mean you should. I could hopscotch in traffic, but I am not going to do that. Sorry I know I am being blunt, but I disagree. I overstock my tanks pretty heavily, I might add.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 is too small for any adult tang. May be ok for a little while if you get a small juvenile, but will out grow a 75 very quickly....IMO

I would disagree with that. The smaller bristletooths would be fine (ie Tomini, White Tail, Kole, Squaretail). Now that said, a 75 gallon is way too small for a Powder Blue and given their reputation for being super prone to ich (even compared to other Tangs) and their aggressive nature, putting one in a 75 would be akin to putting a captive bred Clownfish in a Goldfish Bowl

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't agree more. a 75 gal is not an ethical home for a powder blue tang, or any acanthurus tang.

I couldn't disagree with this statement any more. Just because you COULD do something, doesn't mean you should. I could hopscotch in traffic, but I am not going to do that. Sorry I know I am being blunt, but I disagree. I overstock my tanks pretty heavily, I might add.
That's what's great about forums, everyone can voice there own opinions, read through them and draw your own conclusions.

botheboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my powder blue in a 40 breeder for a couple months while my 180 was cycling. He beat the tar everything in the tank. Not much has changed toward other tangs but he’s not as aggressive towards other fish in the big tank. Yes I believe he would die for being in a 75 but I’m sure he wouldn’t be happy about it. Mine also swims end to end constantly at only about 4”

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back