Would high nitrate kill LPS?

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are other forms that debate this but had to ask. I have a favia and some acans that are receding and refusing to open up. I have been playing with lights for months trying to get the leds dialed in so have been thinking its the issue..... until last night I tested everything and alk, calc, mag and phosphates where all where I expected them to be (good range) but nitrate was 100+ using a salifert test kit. The kit is 4 months expired so I don't know to trust it or not but I did 3 test and all bright pink. Did a quick 5 gallon water change and plan to do 10 gallons tonight. I am pending a ATI water test (been almost 2 weeks since I sent) so will see what it says. Hit me though if the high nitrate is the issue? The corals in question are also fairly new. They where dipped and watched for a week and I even re dipped in iodine incase of infection.

incase it helps the tank is 140 gal, 27 in tall. my lights are about 10 in from water surface and I just increased the LEDs power to 60% max for 6 hours on all the blue channels, white goes to 25% max as I prefer bluer look. I had them lower powered before and discovered I was way to low on power for a long enough period of time. I am still not sure if I have them powered up enough or not enough. they are the reefbreeder V2s. The corals in question are all within 1 in off the sandbed on rocks.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are other forms that debate this but had to ask. I have a favia and some acans that are receding and refusing to open up. I have been playing with lights for months trying to get the leds dialed in so have been thinking its the issue..... until last night I tested everything and alk, calc, mag and phosphates where all where I expected them to be (good range) but nitrate was 100+ using a salifert test kit. The kit is 4 months expired so I don't know to trust it or not but I did 3 test and all bright pink. Did a quick 5 gallon water change and plan to do 10 gallons tonight. I am pending a ATI water test (been almost 2 weeks since I sent) so will see what it says. Hit me though if the high nitrate is the issue? The corals in question are also fairly new. They where dipped and watched for a week and I even re dipped in iodine incase of infection.

incase it helps the tank is 140 gal, 27 in tall. my lights are about 10 in from water surface and I just increased the LEDs power to 60% max for 6 hours on all the blue channels, white goes to 25% max as I prefer bluer look. I had them lower powered before and discovered I was way to low on power for a long enough period of time. I am still not sure if I have them powered up enough or not enough. they are the reefbreeder V2s. The corals in question are all within 1 in off the sandbed on rocks.

That nitrate level is pretty dang high but I don’t think would kill coral.

To test though, you’re going to need to perform a much larger wc than 15g on a 140, especially if your nitrate is all the way to 100ppm.

Where are your phosphates at?

Assuming other params are in normal ranges and haven’t swung I’d be more interested into the gravity of the tank, what flow are you giving them, how long have they been in the display?

Positioning is a greatly underestimated thing and probably one of the most important for coral health.

The photon v2 is a very powerful light with crazy par, this could also be apart of it. Acans hate intense light, favias like around 75par with 125par Max.

Acans also like low bouncy flow, favias like lowish medium flow.

Let us know the answers so we can better diagnose the issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL I know I already order a new one that should arrive Friday.

As for phosphate, it was pretty much undetectable on the salifert test kit that is not expire :).
I have used Brightwell saltmix for a few years now and it seems to always keeps my calc, alk and mag in check with no swings. mag stays around 1350, alk around 8dlk and calc 410-420.

I have 2 gyre xf150s on each side of the tank. I have them running at 50% power in alternate cycles ( one runs for an hour then turns off and the other comes on for an hour back and fourth). Been that way for about 2 years, when both ran at same time they dug up the middle of the tank. I have the LPS in spots where they are not blasted with flow. The favias are even in partial shade. The acan is out in the light more but at the very bottom of the tank. The ones I am having an issue with have been in for less than a month.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL I know I already order a new one that should arrive Friday.

As for phosphate, it was pretty much undetectable on the salifert test kit that is not expire :).
I have used Brightwell saltmix for a few years now and it seems to always keeps my calc, alk and mag in check with no swings. mag stays around 1350, alk around 8dlk and calc 410-420.

I have 2 gyre xf150s on each side of the tank. I have them running at 50% power in alternate cycles ( one runs for an hour then turns off and the other comes on for an hour back and fourth). Been that way for about 2 years, when both ran at same time they dug up the middle of the tank. I have the LPS in spots where they are not blasted with flow. The favias are even in partial shade. The acan is out in the light more but at the very bottom of the tank. The ones I am having an issue with have been in for less than a month.

So there are other acan/favias doing well and the favia and acan in question are about a month old?

The acan/favia just recently close up or have they been like this since getting them?

doodledreads

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral would lose their colors and appear brown due to increased production of zooxanthelle but will not die. However, if the nitrates fluctuate widely and often, it will stress the corals and may lead to their demise. And, not to mention the nitrates also promote algae growth which can inhibit or smother corals.

In other words, say you have a good population of hebivores to keep the algae in check and are okay with brownier colors, then high nitrates (within reason) is not going to kill corals, although it is not their natural environment.

OP
OP
S

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I have other that are fine. these are newish, the acan stayed closed from day 1. Favia has slowly receded.
I have not tested nitrate and some other elements like I should have. I cant really say how long its been high. I have 0 algae so didn't notice anything to clue me in. going to work on getting it back down and see what happens. I will do a water change everyday for the next few days. can really only make 5-10 gallons a day (afternoon when I get home from work). So will have to do 5-10 gallons a day for next 3 days or so

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back