Would I be able to possibly breed corals?

  • Thread starter Thread starter stE26wy14
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

stE26wy14

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 23, 2024
Messages
7,186
Reaction score
4,300
Location
new jersey
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So!! I wanna do marine biology, and whats a better place than keeping a reef tank?! Breeding corals and doing studies!! I have seen so many docs where scientists breed coral for better adaptivitiy for oceanic swings. It would be really cool to right a college essay on that
so is it possible?
 
So!! I wanna do marine biology, and whats a better place than keeping a reef tank?! Breeding corals and doing studies!! I have seen so many docs where scientists breed coral for better adaptivitiy for oceanic swings. It would be really cool to right a college essay on that
so is it possible?
I’m following ! Sounds like a super cool idea!
But definitely not my area of expertise.
 
Would it be possible for you to get into contact with those that breed coral, and maybe intern with them? I feel like if you were able to do this, this would give you great hands-on experience, and you could learn from experts.
 
So!! I wanna do marine biology, and whats a better place than keeping a reef tank?! Breeding corals and doing studies!! I have seen so many docs where scientists breed coral for better adaptivitiy for oceanic swings. It would be really cool to right a college essay on that
so is it possible?

Watch this video

 
Would it be possible for you to get into contact with those that breed coral, and maybe intern with them? I feel like if you were able to do this, this would give you great hands-on experience, and you could learn from experts.
would u perhaps know of any of these companies/orginizations?
 
would u perhaps know of any of these companies/orginizations?
See if you can work at your LFS. If they have marine tanks the guys working inside pretty much should know everything about keeping and breeding corals.
 
I expect you will find the trying to breed corals for improved attributes is an extremely laborious task. Not a fun DIY project for most people.
 
would u perhaps know of any of these companies/orginizations?
Personally? No I don't. I would reach out to your LFS or see if there are any people local to you that would be willing to help you out!
 
Just to add - there is a bunch of good info available on breeding corals, and we'll only be getting more as time goes on, but, yes, it would definitely be a good deal of work.
I don’t know of any that are particularly easy to get spawning (coral spawns are still actually fairly rare events in the hobby, though the do happen from time to time). I do know that the Horniman Project Coral has some great info on coral spawning, and there are a few hobbyists working on similar projects now. From what I’ve seen, it seems currently that you either need to have excellent conditions for the corals and be lucky, or you need to pretty intensively replicate the environment those corals are found in naturally in order to get them spawning. The Project Coral I referred to above has a great document about how they basically did just that for four Acropora spp. (see the link below).
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/ece3.3538With more research, we might be able to find some less intensive ways to inducing spawning in corals in the future, but, for now, (to my knowledge) we don’t know what exactly is actually needed to induce spawning in corals (i.e. we don’t what the key factors are), so this is the best we can do for now.
https://www.horniman.ac.uk/project/project-coral/https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/cynarina-lacrymalis-spawning-project-setup.899403/
 
would u perhaps know of any of these companies/orginizations?
The Florida aquarium in Tampa is doing a lot of work with coral breeding for adaptability. Their internships are only available to sophomores and above, but they are a super cool place!
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new