Would this Diet be Good for my Tank?

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I want to give my fish like other people a varied diet to make them happy and build their immune system and I was wondering if this food would be good for my fish, corals and inverts.

Every 1st day I plan on feeding a bit of Hikari Seaweed Extreme (Are those the pellets?), New Life Spectrum Marine Pellets and Seachem Marine Flakes.
Every 2nd day I plan on feeding Hikari Mysis (A lot) and Marine Snow to feed all my filter feeding inverts (2 Coco Worms, 2 Maxima Clams and Euphyllia Corals).
Every 3rd day is the same as the first day but instead of feeding what I said above in the afternoon (I feed morning and afternoon) I put on Aquaforest AF Vegie Clips.
And Every Forth Day is Hikari Mysis and Phytoplankton. (I plan on turning off most equipment and filling the tank with phyto and then let most of the filter feeders get it and maybe after 10 minutes put the flow back on so the phyto goes to the hang on refugium and feeds the pods.

Would this be a good diet for my Inhabitants? I plan on a chaeto cycle where its on for most of the day and all night but also where I can do a water change monthly to replenish the minor elements (Iodine, Strontuim, etc.)

Also I plan on heaps of pods (4 Species but unknown what species they are) for a mandarin dragonet and would a cleaner wrasse out compete em for pods?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is pretty easy to culture phyto if u wanted to do that instead of marine snow for filter feeders. they will also feed the pods. Hikari seaweed extreme are pellets but I think they also have a wafer. I would also reccomend AF energy and an amino acid mix of your choice for corals in general. Honestly, as long as you have a mix of stuff for your fish you will be fine. Flakes and pellets are very nutritious and if they eat that you can probably do less frozen.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a really good thing to vary your fishes' diet! I currently feed a variety of zooplankton, since, regardless of what any company says, it's hard to generalize any single one size fits all diet for all the fish in your tank. I do want to caution that if you choose an odd numbered non-seven day cycle, it might be hard to remember what food you feed when unless you directly label the packets with something like "day 1/2/3".

For pods, I'd recommend Tisbe, Apocyclops, Tigriopus, and Oithonia species if you can get your hands on them. Euterpina would also work well. What you want is a number of harpacticoid, maybe cyclopoid copepods. Calanoid pods tend to be pelagic in nature and therefore hard to culture within the aquarium.

One of the things you forgot to mention was your stocking list. In general, here's what I would feed based off of what I can infer from your tank, which seems to be a mixed reef of various fish and inverts:

Herbivores:
  • For Zebrasoma tangs, foxfaces, and other "nipper" type herbivores, I'd feed as many types of nori/seaweed as I could get my hands on, and try to feed a different type every day. I once read a book about how cows have preferred feeds (clover, grass, bramble, etc.), and if you leave cows to graze in a field, they'll munch on their preferred feeds and leave the unappetizing ones alone, but if moved from field to field, will be more generalist browsers. The same concept applies here. The fish may very much hate a certain type of algae, but having them eat different varieties will be beneficial in the long term.
  • For Ctenochaetus tangs, rabbitfish, Ecsenius blennies, and other "brusher" type herbivores, I'd feed something like the veggie clips. Algae tabs with seaweed as the first ingredient would also be something worth feeding. As an aside, ingredients tend to be listed in terms of quantity on ingredient lists. So if something contains X, Y, Z ingredients, then the quantity X >Y>Z.
  • For both types, if your refugium is growing Ulva/Gracilaria type algaes, you can trim some of the growth off, and use that as enrichment and food for the fish.
Pelagic Zooplanktivores (including LPS like Euphyllia):

I would consider looking into other zooplankton, such as copepods. Piscine Energetics puts out Calanus copepods, and Hikari has Cyclopods. Both are highly nutritious. Newly hatched baby brine shrimp are also a good choice, in addition to the pods that you'll be feeding out from the refugium. High quality pellets and flakes are also a good idea as well. Consider blackworms as well! Shaved frozen foods like shrimp, octopus, clam, etc. are all good ideas as well.

Benthic Zooplanktivores:

High quality pellets are your best bet here, as will be a brine shrimp feeder for benthic fish. Again, mysis and frozen copepods are a great idea. White worms (Enchytraeus albidus), are also a wonderful idea. If the fish are big ish, like dwarf angelfish, they'll also go after clams on the halfshell.

Filter feeders (including SPS and Clams):

Marine snow is a good option. So is phytoplankton. But the thing to note here is that filter feeders are used to a lot of food over a long period of time. IIRC, coco worms and fan worms have a hard time in captivity due to not meeting their caloric needs. You need to feed A Lot. This can be mitigated slightly by taking the meltwater from the frozen foods using a turkey baster and ejecting it upstream (not directly) at the target. But you should still try to feed marine snow/phytoplankton daily. I'm not familiar with snow, but with phytoplankton, what you can do is culture it, and then use airline tubing to drip it out over the course of a day or so while using a spare airpump to keep the microalgae suspended. Think of a reverse drip acclimation if you will.

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, my stocking list is for a 40 Gallon (Lets not comment on stocking list, do that in the build thread this is for food.)
Baby Blue Tang
Coral Beauty Angelfish
2 Ocellaris Clownfish
And soon will have a Manadarin Dragonet.

So could you maybe provide a list on what I feed and on what day? AF Veggie Clips my fish do not touch and it just flies around the tank so maybe get a vegie clip and feed like red and green and other colours of Nori or seaweed etc and here in Aus, we do have a good microfauna company and they have 7 species phytoplankton mix with the four ones , Iso and some other ones, they are on the algae barn phyto one, we have red copepods but they do not have a indicater on what the four species of copepods are, so maybe I should do like this -

Day 1- Spectrum and Hikari Seaweed Extreme Pellets.
Day 2- Hikari Mysis and Cyclopods, Marine Snow and Red Nori/Seaweed.
Biweekly- Dose Phytoplankton
Monthy- Dose Live Copepods.

And every second day it changes from Red to Green Nori. This topic really confuses me and I apologize,

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh, my issue is to help people avoid problems, as opposed to pointing out preexisting problems/future things they'll do. The purpose of you giving us a stocking list is for us to help you figure out what you need to feed and when. Here's what I would do, assuming you have those fish, the Maxima clam, the Coco worms, and the Euphyllia coral as well (stocking includes inverts as well!). I only have experience with flame angelfish, so I'm unfamiliar with how vegetarian coral beauties are. The blue tang (Paracanthurus, hepatus, correct?) is a zooplanktivore, minimal algae is needed.

Every day:
  • Feed phytoplankton and marine snow. This is to feed the coco worms mostly. Try to set up a slow drip so that there will be food continuously throughout the day for them.
  • Feed a small amount of seaweed pellets. This is mainly to benefit the coral beauty angelfish at this point.
  • Feed either red or green nori (interchange between the two), adjusting accordingly if the coral beauty eats it.
  • Feed either of the two prepared foods you have (interchange between the two)
  • Feed mysis or cyclopods, interchange between the two
  • If you've made a brine shrimp feeder, fill it up in the morning.
Alternatively:
Day 1: phytoplankton/marine snow, seaweed pellets, green nori, mysis, flakes
Day 2: phytoplankton/marine snow, seaweed pellets, red nori, cyclopods, pellets
Weekly: Target feed Euphyllia.
Every two weeks: dose live pods.

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And trochus, nassarius and maybe cerith snails, janitor hermit crabs, four peppermint shrimp, blue lincktia and micro or black brittle star (Unknown), coco worms and maxima clams (like you know!) nothing to 'demanding' besides the coco worm

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back