Would This Fish be likely to be Bullied if Added?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Boxfish and was thinking about adding this little guy to my tank but am concerned he might be Bullied by the pair of clowns i had which are also mostly black (similar colors and size)...there are currently 3 clowns in my 20 which live in harmony the odd one out is a tomato clown. When he outgrows the tank i could always trade him in...he's only $19 so a good price but I want to make sure he isn't likely to be Bullied as Boxfish are usually pretty docile.
Screenshot_2022-11-09-22-52-28-045_com.facebook.orca.jpg

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s a really small tank for a boxfish even temporarily they need like 150+ gallons. I wouldn’t add another fish especially not a boxfish. Plus they release a toxin when stressed that can nuke your entire tank and aren’t reef-safe. I love them too they just don’t belong in a nano tank. I wish they did.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a really small tank for a boxfish even temporarily they need like 150+ gallons. I wouldn’t add another fish especially not a boxfish. Plus they release a toxin when stressed that can nuke your entire tank.
Yeah, i know about Boxfish biology...that little guy certainly doesn't need a 150 gallon tank to start though...like I said, as he grows i can always trade him in...he's about an inch long.

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, i know about Boxfish biology...that little guy certainly doesn't need a 150 gallon tank to start though...like I said, as he grows i can always trade him in...he's about an inch long.
Even small ones need adequate space to move around and with the existing livestock didn't sound like it'll have that much space z regardless of whether you plan to trade him in or not. Im not here to tell people what to do, but I personally would rehome the boxfish.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even small ones need adequate space to move around and with the existing livestock didn't sound like it'll have that much space z regardless of whether you plan to trade him in or not. Im not here to tell people what to do, but I personally would rehome the boxfish.
I don't have him yet...that's why I'm here to get opinions before buying

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not put a docile fish in a 20g with 3 clowns. My clowns started out nice but eventually hormones kicked on and they became jerks.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not put a peaceful fish in a 20g with 3 clowns. My clowns started out nice but eventually hormones kicked on and they became jerks.
Ok, thanks for the advice! I'm trying to decide between getting him or an orange branching Psammacora for my other tank...it sounds like the coral might be a better choice and relatively rare. Screenshot_2022-11-10-07-54-36-379_jp.naver.line.android.jpg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's only ~$22 as well...it appears healthy right? Around the base it's hard for me to tell if it's new growth or polyp recession.

Looks fine to me. Psammacora are hardy. It would be hard for them to kill without abusing it lol

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine to me. Psammacora are hardy. It would be hard for them to kill without abusing it lol
I'll probably go with the coral then...also, while the same fish are available to buy regularly, corals aren't always available again for a while after they're sold.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back