would this work as a larger QT?

ballroomdude

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 1, 2015
Messages
72
Reaction score
21
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I get nearer to finalizing plans on a 600 gallon build I'm doing I realize that I may need a larger than normally prescribed QT. My tank will be FOWLR and one of the fish I plan on keeping is a coral cat shark. I am thinking about how to QT him and the idea came to me to use a rubbermaid container like folks use for cheap sumps. It would sort of act as a pond of a QT and I could easily make something happen in the 100 gallon range which should give decent swimming room to a smaller specimen.

I would be willing to go so far as to make my QT tank its own separate system complete with protein skimmer, etc.

Thoughts?
 
I just want to make sure that it has enough room to swim properly as it gets used to my system and being fed, etc.
 
I am thinking about how to QT him and the idea came to me to use a rubbermaid container like folks use for cheap sumps. It would sort of act as a pond of a QT and I could easily make something happen in the 100 gallon range which should give decent swimming room to a smaller specimen.

I would be willing to go so far as to make my QT tank its own separate system complete with protein skimmer, etc.

personally, you have a solid plan and I don't really see anything I would change.
 
maybe @Humblefish can make additional recommendations?
 
I appreciate your consistent responding to my threads. I'm just trying to make sure I cover everything.

I have a few more questions I need to post after some more research.
 
ok I'll stop:rolleyes:
 
The rubbermaid would work well for the shark, but it might be hard to see other fish 360 in that from above. Would not a 75 gal QT work just as well?
 
if you have the space I'd also have a couple more small Q tanks . For smaller fish no need to be in a larger QT and smaller ones make medication and water changes easier.
 
I've considered getting a separate 75g aquarium and section it in half for other qt purposes
 
If you are going to get a shark pup, like the ones that is normally sold at pet shops I wouldn't recommend a large qt. It will stress the shark out and make it hard for you to feed and keep an eye on it. A half of a 75 gallon will be perfect, unless you plan on using copper in the other half. Sharks are sensitive to copper.

Here are some catshark pups I was growing out. I used a ~25 gallon storage bin and it was great for them.

 
Oh wow......ok.....those are much smaller than I was anticipating. Good deal. That changes some things.
 
Be extremely careful and avoid all copper medications, also make sure to have at least a sponge filter or a heavy air stone as these sharks need a higher than normal need of dissolved oxygen!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 25 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new