Would you buy?

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an opportunity to buy a GHL Profilux 4 that is 5 years old. It is equivalent to the Mega set with some additional sensors. The probes have been out of the tank for ~1 month.

The seller is asking $400. Do you feel that is fair? Does age impact how well controllers run or are the more like computers and age does not impact performance?

Thanks for any in site.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have an opportunity to buy a GHL Profilux 4 that is 5 years old. It is equivalent to the Mega set with some additional sensors. The probes have been out of the tank for ~1 month.

The seller is asking $400. Do you feel that is fair? Does age impact how well controllers run or are the more like computers and age does not impact performance?

Thanks for any in site.
Fair price but assure you can still get support and parts for unit

OP
OP
TCoach

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, getting excited now. Wife has ok'd the purchase, and Lord willing, I'll be headed 1.5 hrs away to pick up the GHL setup tomorrow. :)

Any recommendations for a new Profilux4 user? I've started watching the GHL and @Ditto videos.

Also, how do I factory reset the controller once I get it home? I have not ran across that yet.

Done With Finals Happy Dance GIF

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're here to support you as a new owner. :)

For second hand units, it's always best to restore the factory settings for both the controller and Wi-Fi chip if the original owner hasn't done it for you. The steps for that can be found here:

That will put the controller in it's "day 1" state. From that point, you can update the firmware by following the steps here:

Initial setup steps can be found here:

Take your time with the setup, watch the videos, check out the manual. That will give you the best understanding of how to use and navigate the controller.

If at anytime you need a hand with anything or have a question, do reach out.

As for the probes, if they are 4 years old too I would replace the pH, Redox and Conductivity. New bottles of calibration fluid will help too.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the GHL family.

As Vinny said, ask all the questions you want as their are several great resources on R2R.

OP
OP
TCoach

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're here to support you as a new owner. :)

For second hand units, it's always best to restore the factory settings for both the controller and Wi-Fi chip if the original owner hasn't done it for you. The steps for that can be found here:

That will put the controller in it's "day 1" state. From that point, you can update the firmware by following the steps here:

Initial setup steps can be found here:

Take your time with the setup, watch the videos, check out the manual. That will give you the best understanding of how to use and navigate the controller.

If at anytime you need a hand with anything or have a question, do reach out.

As for the probes, if they are 4 years old too I would replace the pH, Redox and Conductivity. New bottles of calibration fluid will help too.
Wow! Thank you so much, @Vinny@GHLUSA . I don’t think I’ve ever had a company reach out like this!

I’m really excited to be coming to GHL and can’t wait until I get things up and running. I’m really excited to use this to get a better handle on my tank and but some of my IT skills to work on a hobby. :)

OP
OP
TCoach

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She’s here! Waiting for my kids Windows laptop to update and reboot so I can reset. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
TCoach

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up and running! All the probes worked. Accidentally broke the pH probe on the transfer/setup to the tank. Thank goodness I had a couple month old PinPoint pH probe I could borrow. :)

So far, I have the 4 probes calibrated and moved my heater moved to the powerbar and controlled. :)

So question, is it possible to update the PowerBar 5.1 firmware from the app, or do I have to reconnect my laptop and use GCC?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up and running! All the probes worked. Accidentally broke the pH probe on the transfer/setup to the tank. Thank goodness I had a couple month old PinPoint pH probe I could borrow. :)

So far, I have the 4 probes calibrated and moved my heater moved to the powerbar and controlled. :)

So question, is it possible to update the PowerBar 5.1 firmware from the app, or do I have to reconnect my laptop and use GCC?

I do not know about the firmware question but you can set up a wireless connection with GHL Control Center.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates for PAB devices like your PowerBar 5.1 are done through GCC. You'll find instructions for that here:

The latest for that PB is v1.01.
You can check what firmware version is running on your PB by going to the PAB devices list in the SYSTEM page.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back