Would you dip a goniopora everyday to keep it stable?

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a dying goniopora colony and I didn't dip it on the second or third day and lost 90%. It was a clear slime coat that melts goni flesh. I had to dip 2x a day to keep it stable. Fast forward a week and I forget to dip for a day. I lost a frag and I have 1 frag left. At this point I'm dipping everyday to keep it stable. I didn't dip on new years and I went from 9 polyps to 8. What would you do? Keep dipping it until you forget and it dies or leave it to survive by itself?
849D4A76-8822-455A-86F5-7B9F038A5E1F.jpeg

OP
OP
joefishtank

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dipping every day is keeping your corals alive? I don't think its the dipping, sounds like other issue's going on.
The only other issue I can think of is the fact this was a $15 goni colony. I was told it fell on a different coral so that was why it was only half a colony. What do you think it is? What is this other issue I have going on? I think I know where this conversation is going. Please help me diagnose this issue. I feel like I need revenge on dying goniopora colonies.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try to get a good pic of the goni in white lights please, it will help us.
Corals can recover from other corals falling on them, but a pic in white light will help us to help you.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the brown stuff you are washing away with dipping is algae that's growing on the dead coral.

Sorry for that, maybe it was just too damaged when you got it, nice try though.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right thats like dipping a piece of calcium reactor media at this point . Ar least it wasnt a big loss in terms of $$ . Gonis can be trickyyyy

OP
OP
joefishtank

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is 99% dead, you may wont to find a better, truthful and loyal source for corals.
1% alive is enough reason for me to continue trying. I take it all of you would have stopped dipping almost immediately? I walk into the lfs like dying coral discount? I got a fungia for $10 that I think is growing anthocauli. I got a receding lobo for 90% off. I want revenge on dying goni so if I see some specimens I'll probably buy them for $15 if they are fully extending tentacles like they were when it was at the lfs.

Right thats like dipping a piece of calcium reactor media at this point . Ar least it wasnt a big loss in terms of $$ . Gonis can be trickyyyy
The primary reason I gave my lfs owner for why I'm willing to buy these coral is I do youtube. "If it lives it's going on youtube. If it dies it's still probably going on youtube." This next goni colony video wont be as good as the one after because I know how to film the process better now.

I had a 100% success rate with my neon goni frag and pink goni frag. After all the polyps die it goes down to 66.6%. R2r isn't helping me. I want to try and save those 7 polyps because I don't test parameters. That seems like it has nothing to do with this but if I explain myself it's literally going to put me in a terrible mood.

Please just tell me what you would do if you were in my position with whatever information I just gave you. I also have some video and pictures if you think any extra information is relevant. If you would have given up already you can tell me I'm not going to give up but I am going to the lfs later today. So I can tell the owner any hateful internet things if you wish.

Since you know I'm not going to give up: WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU NEEDED TO SAVE THIS $15 CORAL??????????????

OP
OP
joefishtank

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add some perspective this was day 2 December 18th. I intentionally left out this information in the beginning so I could have my mind blown. I can see two coral that are clearly infected with something. I dipped everything at the same time I think that spread the cause of this 99% polyp mortality.

Last edited:

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a big proponent of leaving “dead” coral in my tank way longer than anyone else I know. I have had a few come back.
to answer your question… ( keep in mind I’m 100% no expert). I would probably move it to lower light, lower flow, and if dipping seems to help, do it. I personally would probably just move it and cross my fingers.

AV corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a dying goniopora colony and I didn't dip it on the second or third day and lost 90%. It was a clear slime coat that melts goni flesh. I had to dip 2x a day to keep it stable. Fast forward a week and I forget to dip for a day. I lost a frag and I have 1 frag left. At this point I'm dipping everyday to keep it stable. I didn't dip on new years and I went from 9 polyps to 8. What would you do? Keep dipping it until you forget and it dies or leave it to survive by itself?
849D4A76-8822-455A-86F5-7B9F038A5E1F.jpeg
Your best bet was dipping once you got it. And leaving it alone. Stable water parameters is essentially liquid gold for corals I’m sure it would’ve bounced back.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 100% success rate with my neon goni frag and pink goni frag. After all the polyps die it goes down to 66.6%. R2r isn't helping me. I want to try and save those 7 polyps because I don't test parameters. That seems like it has nothing to do with this but if I explain myself it's literally going to put me in a terrible mood.

Please just tell me what you would do if you were in my position with whatever information I just gave you. I also have some video and pictures if you think any extra information is relevant. If you would have given up already you can tell me I'm not going to give up but I am going to the lfs later today. So I can tell the owner any hateful internet things if you wish.

Since you know I'm not going to give up: WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU NEEDED TO SAVE THIS $15 CORAL??????????????
Sounds like you really don't want to engage in a discussion about your methods, that you just want to know if you should continue daily dipping.

Without an understanding of your methodology I don't see how anyone can provide any meaningful feedback.

That said, two questions only. What are you using as your dip? Has your methodology been successful in the past?

OP
OP
joefishtank

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you really don't want to engage in a discussion about your methods, that you just want to know if you should continue daily dipping.

Without an understanding of your methodology I don't see how anyone can provide any meaningful feedback.

That said, two questions only. What are you using as your dip? Has your methodology been successful in the past?
I am literally willing to have an open discussion about anything fish tank related. I wouldn't mind a simple yes or no since it's better than something mind-numbing.

Since you asked I will try to explain in detail a lot of words that I typed because I like saying words sometimes. (I think everyone should have the knowledge that they needed more information before blowing my mind)

I use 3 different liquids to dip. The primary liquid I use is 3% hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide is H2O2. That is water with an extra oxygen molecule. I don't know why that is good but that is my primary dip. After I do a hydrogen peroxide dip I sometimes dip coral rx because I heard it is not bad for coral and it has an expire date. Third liquid I use is tank water.

This big brain strategy I call peroxide dipping saved my neon green goniopora from algae. I started a fresh tank with a 3 fimbriaphyllia and 1 goni. When I added live rock the ugly stage started instantly. Goniopora was losing polyps so I did my basic dip strategy peroxide then coral rx. I think it was the hydrogen peroxide because a few times i just used a peroxide napkin to wipe the algae and purple slime and it grew a new baby polyp after a week or 2.

When I have no idea what is happening to my coral I use peroxide instead of asking this website because peroxide is literally just water with an extra oxygen and the people on this website are too smart for me I can't understand their way of thinking so I make them mad.

Your best bet was dipping once you got it. And leaving it alone. Stable water parameters is essentially liquid gold for corals I’m sure it would’ve bounced back.
When I got those 2 dying coral I temp acclimated then drip acclimated. For these two colonies I physically removed starfishes then peroxide dipped. Then coral rx dipped. This goni frag was really dirty on the bottom so I brushed it with a brush and fragged it with a grinder.

If I only dipped once instead of 30 times I think everything would have died by day 3-5. I would wager my soul eternal damnation in hell. That's what my experience is screaming when you tell me I should have only dipped 1 time and it would have bounced back. You didn't see when I dipped one of the frags after I forgot the previous day and all the tissue flesh melted away.

This thread is me surrendering but if anyone had any bright ideas I would have been willing to try anything if it made sense to me.

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicole Bridges gave a talk at MACNA this year about her approach to coral rehabilitation. (don't let the title throw you off, I found it a good talk)

Back From the Brink: Systems Engineering Approach to Coral Triage & Rehab. Nicole Bridges MACNA 2022​

Synopsis: These are not your average, ordinary, everyday reefkeeping problems. These corals are dying – for a reason. Learn systematic troubleshooting techniques, unusual parasite identification, and potential treatment options through short case studies and copious photographs, all presented through the holistic lens of systems engineering. Join us as we delve into rehabilitating corals, one polyp at a time.

OP
OP
joefishtank

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicole Bridges gave a talk at MACNA this year about her approach to coral rehabilitation. (don't let the title throw you off, I found it a good talk)

Back From the Brink: Systems Engineering Approach to Coral Triage & Rehab. Nicole Bridges MACNA 2022​

Synopsis: These are not your average, ordinary, everyday reefkeeping problems. These corals are dying – for a reason. Learn systematic troubleshooting techniques, unusual parasite identification, and potential treatment options through short case studies and copious photographs, all presented through the holistic lens of systems engineering. Join us as we delve into rehabilitating corals, one polyp at a time.

I've seen that video. Also bulk reef supply sells in tank refugiums for nano reefs so anything they post probably can't be trusted. If you scroll into the comment section I am Nice Fish Tank and I have eyes that were trained to grow hydroponics farm. That's how I decide if a coral can live or die.

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 61 48.4%
  • Full frame

Votes: 25 19.8%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 46 36.5%
  • All of the above

Votes: 22 17.5%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back