Would you feed dead copepods to your fish/tank ?

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they are sent in phyto. I’m sure they’re dead. They were never swimming and now it’s just a big black clump on the bottom of the bottle.
Dang yeah that doesn’t sound good. My bottle just looked like water and was clear. Maybe a slight hint of yellow. But that was in 2019.

it’s possible though since it’s full of phyto that it just settled to the bottom. Phyto looks pretty dark/black when it’s all settled at the bottom of the bottle. If it doesn’t smell foul it might be ok still.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang yeah that doesn’t sound good. My bottle just looked like water and was clear. Maybe a slight hint of yellow. But that was in 2019.

it’s possible though since it’s full of phyto that it just settled to the bottom. Phyto looks pretty dark/black when it’s all settled at the bottom of the bottle. If it doesn’t smell foul it might be ok still.
I haven’t opened a bottle. I’ll try. So you’re saying you couldn’t see anything swimming when you bought your pods ?

I’ve bought some before and I could definitely see little bits swimming inside.

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t opened a bottle. I’ll try. So you’re saying you couldn’t see anything swimming when you bought your pods ?

I’ve bought some before and I could definitely see little bits swimming inside.

From what I recall, (it’s been a while) I didn’t really see any movement and I have 20 out of 15 vision according to my eye doctor lol. Maybe a tiny spec here and there but couldn’t really tell if it was alive until a few days after adding to the display and copepod culture I was setting up.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought 2 bottles of copepods in a phytoplankton blend. Both were DOA. They sent me another 2 bottles, same thing.

Should I strain it and only keep the liquid and use it as phyto ? Should I just use the whole thing as a phyto source with « meat » ?

Or just throw it in the garbage ? I’ve had it for 3-4 weeks so it’s been dead for at least that, and probably more. It might have been dead at the store even before shipping.

Thanks
If you have had the containers that long from the LFS chances are anything that was possibly still alive is now dead and I would recommend to throw them both out :)

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought 2 bottles of copepods in a phytoplankton blend. Both were DOA. They sent me another 2 bottles, same thing.

Should I strain it and only keep the liquid and use it as phyto ? Should I just use the whole thing as a phyto source with « meat » ?

Or just throw it in the garbage ? I’ve had it for 3-4 weeks so it’s been dead for at least that, and probably more. It might have been dead at the store even before shipping.

Thanks
Send me a PM and we'll ship you some of our phyto and pods for no charge. As hobbyists, we're all in this together, and your reef shouldn't suffer because of a DOA!

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send me a PM and we'll ship you some of our phyto and pods for no charge. As hobbyists, we're all in this together, and your reef shouldn't suffer because of a DOA!
Awesome stuff, hope there's shipping to Canada

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Entirely my fault for not realizing OP was in Canada! I really wish we could ship there, but the Canadian government won't allow it (at least not according to the lawyers we consulted).

My apologies for not actually being able to help!

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not same but similar, i saw first bite copepods, as food, ant they are, from what i could find, are dead copepods....

And they are sold as food...

Or i'm i wrong about them being dead?

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Little Ocean is the best way to get a live variety of copepods and phytoplankton. It's dated with day of bottling and the copepods were large and plenty full, easy to see with your eye
IMG_20211130_212639.jpg
IMG_20211130_213237.jpg
IMG_20211130_213252.jpg
IMG_20211130_212909.jpg
IMG_20211130_212650.jpg
IMG_20211130_213149.jpg

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Little Ocean is the best way to get a live variety of copepods and phytoplankton. It's dated with day of bottling and the copepods were large and plenty full, easy to see with your eye
Oh, they’re big and chunky ! That’s what I want ! I added it to my list of suppliers. :)

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dead copepods are just food for your clean up crew . I mean if they been dead a while and smell don't add them other then that it's not going to hurt anything . Unfortunately importing in from the states is very costly not to mention going through customs is a pain in the butt .This person is from Canada and seems to have good pods try contacting him through Facebook
Screenshot_20220826-063122_Facebook.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back