• Total voters

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all...

By now, I am fairly certain some of you have seen the recent advertisement for a $6,249.99 fish for sale. This advertisement got me to thinking and caused me to ask myself a couple of questions. Well, more than a couple but these are the two key questions;

1.) Would I pay over $6,000 for one fish?
The answer to the first question is a resounding, "No freekin' way!" Even if I were in a position where money was no object I do not think I could convince myself that any reef fish is worth over $6,000. Furthermore, if I were able to fool myself into dropping that kind of coin for a fish it wouldn't be for the one that is in the ad. Now don't get me wrong as I understand beauty is in the eye of the beholder (just ask my wife!) but, to me, this fish does not fall into the category of beautiful. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even fall in the category of semi-beautiful. To me, it is mildly beautiful.

This brings me to my second question;
2.) Who would pay over $6000 for one fish?
I really do not know anyone that would buy this fish and am truly curious as to if there is/are any out there that would pay $6,249.99 for one fish and what the motivation would be?

And, finally, a bonus question;
3.) If you had roughly $6,000 to spend on fish or coral what would you buy?

Happy reefing!

For all of those wondering... here is the fish!
6000 dollar fish.jpg

Last edited:

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there are definitely people who could easily drop 6g on a fish and not bat an eyelash! I sure as hell don’t know any of them considering I spend most of my time cruising at the $5-10 frag tank. My wife and I were looking at this Netflix documentary on the Fyre Festival last night and were dumbfounded on the number of people who would drop tens of thousands of dollars for a hyped up music event on an island with little to no information on the whole thing! So after watching that I could easily see someone spending a “measly” 6 grand on a fish!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy a peppermint angel for $6K if there's one at that price. I have 2 gem tangs already. I actually lile my pair better than the lined gem tang posted.
Good luck on the peppermint angel . They are really beautiful fish

OP
OP
crusso1993

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW no way.
But I would pay $650 for one of THESE

So to each their own. I wouldn't judge anyone for buying and keeping a $60,000 fish. Their money their prerogative.

$650 is much more reasonable to me too!

OP
OP
crusso1993

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could afford one I don't know if I would buy it. Another thing if you buy a fish for 6g I doubt one is worrying about 6g. That maybe like 5-10$ frag for us.

Agreed... kind of like, "If you have to ask how much it is then you probably cannot afford it." :)

OP
OP
crusso1993

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy a peppermint angel for $6K if there's one at that price. I have 2 gem tangs already. I actually lile my pair better than the lined gem tang posted.

Much prefer the "regular" Gem Tang too. Those peppermints are beautiful. Hope you find one!

OP
OP
crusso1993

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know someone that bought two tiger Angel's for a very large tank. They are very difficult to keep. Lost both of them. Bought two more, lost them. I believe he gave up after that. He paid $5,000 a piece for them. Crazy!

Whoa! Some fish are just too tough for some to keep. It's sad when one gets in over their head for both them and the fish.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who is selling the 6k fish?

Yeah, if I was a billionaire I’d spend that and more... Who cares? People struggle to fathom the difference between the median income and that of the ultra wealthy... Some earn several thousand million dollars just in interest income each year... 6k to them is less than a penny to us...

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa! Some fish are just too tough for some to keep. It's sad when one gets in over their head for both them and the fish.

Agreed. It's not about the money at that point. It's about you killed 4 rare fish.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just se how much the Koi keepers send on high quality kois
Crazy money

Dude in Montgomery Alabama broke the record a couple years ago. IIRC it was $255K for the female and $175K for the male. He already had orders for over 500 of the babies before he even flew them home.

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now, no freaking way. But if one can afford that, it’s a unique fish to add to your tank. You pay what you can .... I used to think people were crazy paying $100+ for corals but now I’m in that boat with SPS lol...

Never say never!

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, if I had the disposable cash flow then why not.

Clearly most of us live generously and within our means, and this is more than likely why that amount you bring up as being an absurd amount of money. If someone is spending 30k on a Tank build, I would probably expect them to not even bat an eye at that amount. Clearly they have the means and the cash flow, so why wouldn't they possibly be willing to pick up a couple rare fish?

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish deserve to be priced like that. But lined gem tang? “Hey who wants a mutant fish!” No way. There are some fish that I would buy for 6000 bucks tho. Like if centropyge potteri’s suddenly hit that amount it would still be worth it to me.

adam finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope definitely not even if if I had 6g just laying around. Alright maybe if I was a billionaire I might. Probably not though because I would much rather buy a hardier cheaper fish and give the extra money I didn’t spend on it to someone who needed it. I probably wouldn’t be a billionaire long lol but I like to consider myself practical. I’m sure there is a fish out there I would consider spending that much on “ if I was a billionaire” but it would have to be a extremely rare and “beautiful to me fish” not to mention very hardy with a generous guarantee.And I don’t think those exist

Back