Would you spend $6,249.99 for one fish?

• Total voters

freshy&salty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could only imagine that if i were buying a 6k fish, it would be because i obviously had to in order to fully stock the room sized aquarium i would of course have.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol yea using the guy with one of the largest private aquariums sure proves the point that only the super rich would buy a blemished gem tang, but should buy blacktips instead. [emoji849]

I didn't say that he should, I was simply talking about the type of buyer that would pay that kind of money for a tang that most people in this thread wouldn't buy even if they had the resources of a 1%'er. I'm just saying that given the amount of money spent on a relatively drab fish with a couple of defects that there are so many other options that would be far more interesting/exciting than this tang for the money. Obviously the Black Tip Reef Sharks were an extreme example due to the tank size and level of care. I was just trying to think of a person that had the kind of money to spend on a fish like this since it clearly isn't a centerpiece/showpiece type fish. I'm just saying if I had the kind of resources to drop $6K on arguably the most boring looking fish I have seen for this kind of money, I can think of MANY different things I would rather spend my money on.

OP
OP
crusso1993

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s all about perspective that clearly most here don’t have because we don’t have the money! People look at me like I’m an idiot when I say I spent $50 on a fish to them that’s insane, the GF still flips about $20 frags when she sees me walk in with 5 lil stick less than an inch, why because to her it’s just a fish or a coral no value, to me it’s a hobby and a joy and to most of us. 6k if I was rich would probably feel like spending $50 on an Angel but I don’t know that because my scope is limited to my income which 6k for a fish sounds bananas.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s all about perspective that clearly most here don’t have because we don’t have the money! People look at me like I’m an idiot when I say I spent $50 on a fish to them that’s insane, the GF still flips about $20 frags when she sees me walk in with 5 lil stick less than an inch, why because to her it’s just a fish or a coral no value, to me it’s a hobby and a joy and to most of us. 6k if I was rich would probably feel like spending $50 on an Angel but I don’t know that because my scope is limited to my income which 6k for a fish sounds bananas.

I agree, although there are many other great fish that I could buy for a fraction of the price that are far more interesting than this fish.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, although there are many other great fish that I could buy for a fraction of the price that are far more interesting than this fish.

Of course personal choice weights in with spending 6k on a fish some of my favorite fishes are chromis will never have a tank without them rich or poor

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember when damsels were 3 for 3.99 and a yellow tang 9.99. Purple tangs were just hitting the scene. I thought they were ridiculous going for 300 back then.

Oh, I also went to the LFS in my model T.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course personal choice weights in with spending 6k on a fish some of my favorite fishes are chromis will never have a tank without them rich or poor

Fair enough, thank goodness Chromis are cheap enough though that you don't have to worry about it (especially the Blue/Green Variety).

golfer88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean if you hit the powerball jackpot why not lol but for me I wouldn’t. I would spend maybe 1k max for a gen tang because tangs live long life’s so when you look at the life of the fish and the price it’s not bad

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean if you hit the powerball jackpot why not lol but for me I wouldn’t. I would spend maybe 1k max for a gen tang because tangs live long life’s so when you look at the life of the fish and the price it’s not bad

True, they will live longer than your average pure bred dog and will still cost less. Oh and and unlike purebred dog your clean up crew can perform pooper scooper duty for you.

OP
OP
crusso1993

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember when damsels were 3 for 3.99 and a yellow tang 9.99. Purple tangs were just hitting the scene. I thought they were ridiculous going for 300 back then.

@Mastiffsrule - I remember those days too!

What color was your Model T? Mine was black! ;)

OP
OP
crusso1993

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BTW @Mastiffsrule - I love how your user name and profile picture match so well! ;)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my first thought was , if its rare why did they take it from the ocean, it should have been left there to breed

Gem tangs are not rare in the ocean, just limited to geographies that make the logistics difficult. This one is/was just an aberration. Unlikely to be genetically persistent.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back