Would you spend $6,249.99 for one fish?

• Total voters

EJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all...

By now, I am fairly certain some of you have seen the recent advertisement for a $6,249.99 fish for sale. This advertisement got me to thinking and caused me to ask myself a couple of questions. Well, more than a couple but these are the two key questions;

1.) Would I pay over $6,000 for one fish?
The answer to the first question is a resounding, "No freekin' way!" Even if I were in a position where money was no object I do not think I could convince myself that any reef fish is worth over $6,000. Furthermore, if I were able to fool myself into dropping that kind of coin for a fish it wouldn't be for the one that is in the ad. Now don't get me wrong as I understand beauty is in the eye of the beholder (just ask my wife!) but, to me, this fish does not fall into the category of beautiful. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even fall in the category of semi-beautiful. To me, it is mildly beautiful.

This brings me to my second question;
2.) Who would pay over $6000 for one fish?
I really do not know anyone that would buy this fish and am truly curious as to if there is/are any out there that would pay $6,249.99 for one fish and what the motivation would be?

And, finally, a bonus question;
3.) If you had roughly $6,000 to spend on fish or coral what would you buy?

Happy reefing!

For all of those wondering... here is the fish!
6000 dollar fish.jpg
No and those “lines” aren’t even appealing

OP
OP
crusso1993

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want sticker shock? Saw a Weedy Sea Dragon for sale in Japan about 10 years ago for $12,500.00!

@Claire Austin - Yes, those Sea Dragons are quite pricey and very difficult to keep. From my understanding, they fetch about the same price now or a little higher.

mstockmaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rare != endangered. It usually how they are collected, deeper waters, or areas that restrict the numbers that can be exported or to even what location (think Cuban cigars in this example). Joe who can surface swim to collect fish is going to be cheaper than Bob who is using a rebreather and doing safety stops for both fish and diver. Then there is captive breeding which can vary in difficulty from fish to fish. Price will reflect that.
I completely understand this. But this isn't a captive bred fish and I'd be more then willing to pay more for a captive fish than wild collected. I also would love to see how much more that diver actually makes vs one that's diving in maybe shallower less remote waters.

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You obviously have a LFS that offers much, much more than the standard!

I find if LFS do not innovate like WWC and so on they will slowly die out.. It is hard for any LFS to compete with the buying power of large online brands. Most people only shop on overall cost.

OP
OP
crusso1993

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find if LFS do not innovate like WWC and so on they will slowly die out.. It is hard for any LFS to compete with the buying power of large online brands. Most people only shop on overall cost.

I agree with you and also think it is unfortunate as most small places are getting squeezed out.

U

User1

View Badges
I completely understand this. But this isn't a captive bred fish and I'd be more then willing to pay more for a captive fish than wild collected. I also would love to see how much more that diver actually makes vs one that's diving in maybe shallower less remote waters.

I'm not talking about the fish I guess I'm not sure in the first post (Gem Tang) - I'm talking about a price attached to a fish and what some people will pay. Captive bred or not. Let us take a Bandit or Peppermint angelfish. Bandits I believe are found at around 50 meters depth while peppermints are as deep as 130 meters. My point for these two fish is that they are already beyond traditional collecting limits. Scuba we are talking advanced levels with the collector of peppermints using a re-breathing unit due to depth and safety stops. Equipment cost, risk, and time is going to factor into the price.

Limited people with skills, knowledge, and equipment to collect thus the price. One of the collectors on another site shared some knowledge of the first person to bred the bandits in captivity, also spoke about peppermints, and who collected them. This is not an easy feat. I can actually accept the price of rare fish or captive bred because I can see why. Boutique corals and chop shops slapping fancy names on a single zoa head and charging you $200 or a $700 for a single mushroom is something you should be more up in arms over.

OP
OP
crusso1993

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not talking about the fish I guess I'm not sure in the first post (Gem Tang) - I'm talking about a price attached to a fish and what some people will pay. Captive bred or not. Let us take a Bandit or Peppermint angelfish. Bandits I believe are found at around 50 meters depth while peppermints are as deep as 130 meters. My point for these two fish is that they are already beyond traditional collecting limits. Scuba we are talking advanced levels with the collector of peppermints using a re-breathing unit due to depth and safety stops. Equipment cost, risk, and time is going to factor into the price.

Limited people with skills, knowledge, and equipment to collect thus the price. One of the collectors on another site shared some knowledge of the first person to bred the bandits in captivity, also spoke about peppermints, and who collected them. This is not an easy feat. I can actually accept the price of rare fish or captive bred because I can see why. Boutique corals and chop shops slapping fancy names on a single zoa head and charging you $200 or a $700 for a single mushroom is something you should be more up in arms over.

In total agreement about the "designer" coral prices!

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all...

By now, I am fairly certain some of you have seen the recent advertisement for a $6,249.99 fish for sale. This advertisement got me to thinking and caused me to ask myself a couple of questions. Well, more than a couple but these are the two key questions;

1.) Would I pay over $6,000 for one fish?
The answer to the first question is a resounding, "No freekin' way!" Even if I were in a position where money was no object I do not think I could convince myself that any reef fish is worth over $6,000. Furthermore, if I were able to fool myself into dropping that kind of coin for a fish it wouldn't be for the one that is in the ad. Now don't get me wrong as I understand beauty is in the eye of the beholder (just ask my wife!) but, to me, this fish does not fall into the category of beautiful. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even fall in the category of semi-beautiful. To me, it is mildly beautiful.

This brings me to my second question;
2.) Who would pay over $6000 for one fish?
I really do not know anyone that would buy this fish and am truly curious as to if there is/are any out there that would pay $6,249.99 for one fish and what the motivation would be?

And, finally, a bonus question;
3.) If you had roughly $6,000 to spend on fish or coral what would you buy?

Happy reefing!

For all of those wondering... here is the fish!
6000 dollar fish.jpg

Thinking what you would do Ifffff you had the money is completely different from having the money and not knowing on what to spend it on. I said when I start working I would never buy lunch it’s a waste of money when I can cook it my self, I don’t remember the last time I cooked lol

Comfort and luxury has no price it’s a pleasure

Last edited:

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could afford one I don't know if I would buy it. Another thing if you buy a fish for 6g I doubt one is worrying about 6g. That maybe like 5-10$ frag for us.

Yup the it’s a new mentality when you have it, I see people buy things that I feel Wao no way no how to them 10k was an impulse buy like they just spent $20

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a wholesale photo. It’s not even from that store. I saw it on Saturday. It was still for sale at the wholesalers on Tuesday, which means the seller had not purchased the fish and was not in their possession

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the monsoon trio that is “sold out” on their WYSIWYG section was purchased by me, through my rep, who contacted me that they were in stock. Never once did this company have the trio.

They just are using wholesale pictures, coming directly from the wholesale website. If someone happens to purchase it from this company, then they probably call up their rep try to buy it after you already purchased it.

One heck of a mark up for a fish or fish that probably get picked up from the wholesale, and dropped right off at fedex and shipped to you with this company’s box repackaged.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess we will have to disagree. I have a really hard time seeing someone with a 180 gallon or larger tank dropping $6K plus on a relatively drab/scarred tang and then surrounding it with $30-$50 fish. It's more likely that the person spending $6K on this fish would likely have it complimented with other pricey fish and a handful of them in this class could easily pay for a tank that could house a couple of black tip reef sharks. The point I am trying to make is that when you are talking about dropping this kind of money on a fish, that it's usually in similar company. I could see someone spending $150 on a Purple Tang, or $250 on a White Tail Bristletooth and having it with more inexpensive run of the mill fish, but when you are talking about dropping $6K on a single fish it's usually in good company, so to speak.

Except you’re taking your views and a simple price comparison and extrapolating that to cover everyone. Two huge sharks and the care and equipment that comes with them are in no way equivalent to a gem tang.

I’m in the early stages of a very large tank upgrade, 500g+. It couldn’t in any way hold a shark. I have a few must haves that are a bit pricier than avg but most would be common fish. Most fish in the trade are common. I have a couple “want to haves” including a clarion. So yea I’d have a fish that pricey swimming around with normal clownfish and yellow tangs etc. I could even, if I so chose, buy this gem tang because it’s one of my must haves and maybe this “interesting” lined pattern catches my fancy. I’d maybe sacrifice some of my other choices, clarion, to do so. Because now I have a fish that was on my must have list and is unique. Still can’t house those sharks.

Heck I could house those sharks if I wanted. I’d just buy a pond liner and line my 27’ round pool in it. Then convert it to salt water. Couldn’t build anything to cover it though, esp not one big enough to let me in to view my sharks. Nor could I do water changes. Or build a space to house the equipment. Or even afford to feed them long term.

Obviously my person view and experience to argue against yours. But to equate that this fish that many large tanks could house to two huge sharks that a house could barely house is silly. The comparison of them ends at the price and the people that could reasonably buy and care for them aren’t nearly the same.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What people will pay is all relative to what there priority's are and means. I personally would have no issue in spending a few thousand on a "fish" or even a dog. To me i see no difference.. Most pure bread dogs cost a few thousand (in Canada at least).

Also $6,000 is in the low end of high end shopping for reef aquarium related fish/coral.

This is the news letter I just receive from my LFS. This particular shop I deal with on a daily basis and they provide more then just fish. When I want something they just get it.

Australian CORALS & FISH +
Philippines FISH & INVERTS Have Landed
just in time for the Lunar/Chinese New Year!!! 02/08/19

恭喜发财! 龙马精神! 身体健康!
心想事成! 年年有餘, 年年有鱼!!!

Highlights Include:

ULTRA ACANS - Colonies & Frags!
Australian Leathers!
Australian Goniopora!

Choati Leopard Wrasses (Macropharyngodon choati)!!! - ALL Eating!
High Fin Coral Fish (Coradion altivelis) - Reef Safe with Caution - EATING!
Australian Stripey (Microcanthus strigatus)! ALL Eating!
- Ideal rare schooling fish for FOWLR

A very special thanks to our Collector/Diver that took the time to collect "A Ripper!" of a shipment exclusively for our Clients. "Thanks, for the Brekky, Lollies, & Buderim Ginger, mate!" 1 Collector/Diver harvested these Aussie Corals and Fish exclusively for
Coral Reef Shop!

Blue Throat Trigger (Small)
Bubbletip Anemones (Green)
Cleaner Wrasse
Copperband Butterflies (Small & Medium) - Aiptasia Control
Coral Beauty Angels
Domino Damsels
Green Chromis
Green Mandarin Gobies/Dragonets
Koran Angel (Small juvenile)
Longnose Butterflies - Aiptasia Control
Mimic Tangs
Moorish Idols
Pin Tail Fairy Wrasses!!!
Singapore/Cream Angel (Small)
Scopas Tang (Small)
Three Stripe Damsel
Yellow Tail Blue Damsel
Zebra Lyretail Angel (Streamers)

NEW locally Aqua Cultured SPS & Softie FRAGS have arrived!!!

Please click on link for Pictures & Videos:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmAv9LJb

LUNAR/CHINESE NEW YEAR WEEKEND SALE:

Captive Bred juvenile Masked Angel (Genicanthius personatus)
from World Renowned Captive fish breeder and Aquarist Karen Brittain

$18,888 CDN Shipped.
OR
$23,888 CDN Hawaiian Package which Includes:
Our "Coral Concierge" will arrange for 1 Round Trip Adult Airfare (North America) to and from Hawaii. A stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort. We will arrange for a meal and drinks at the Waikiki Yacht Club and an evening of sailing where you can view the hotel's famous fireworks display from the water (weather permitting). You can't visit Hawaii without experiencing a luau. Paradise Cove has one of the most beautiful sunsets on Oahu that acts as a backdrop for their award winning luaus. Transportation will be provided from the hotel to Paradise Cove where you will enjoy their "Deluxe Luau Package". You will have a day pass to the Waikiki Aquarium and we will also arrange for a "meet and greet" as you pick up your new CAPTIVE BRED Genicanthus personatusto bring home.....

A Baby Kingi/Tiger Angelfish (Apolemichthys kingi). Size is approx. 3cmand is eating! $12,888.00 CDN Shipped.

Captive Bred Captive Bred Hawaiian Deep Sea Anthias
(Odontanthias fuscipinnis)! from World Renowned Captive fish breeder and Aquarist Karen Brittain $4,888.00 CDN Shipped.

Pintail Wrasses (Exceptional Colours) & Sailfin Wrasses $88/each
Ruby Red Dragonets $38/each
Mandarin Gobies JUMBO $38/each
Cleaner Wrasse $18/each
Chromis & Damsels $8/each

***This week's 'Easter Eggs'......

#1. Brief video clips of the Uber Rare fish that we have sourced and have the privilege to make available to our clients. Captive Bred Juvenile Masked Angel (Genicanthus personatus), Baby Kingi/Tiger Angel (Apolemichthys kingi), and a Captive Bred Hawaiian Deep Sea Anthias (Odontanthias fuscipinnis)!

#2. Natalie Imbruglia teaches us how to perform the 'Tim Tam Slam/Explosion' :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMbrlxTIVtI

#3. Aussie Meat Pies & Sausage Rolls (Fluffy, Buttery, Pastry Wrap - use the ketchup, it's key)- Kanga Aussie Meat Pies, Toronto.....

A NEW Website is due to be Launched SOON.....
Stay Tuned....

CLOSED Mondays
Tuesday - Friday 11am-7pm
Saturday 11am - 5pm
Sunday 12noon - 5pm

https://www.facebook.com/CoralReefShop

@CoralReefShop

Twitter: https://twitter.com/CoralReefShop

That’s so awesome they can get those from Karen. I’d love a chance to get a bandit angel from her if she is still breeding them in a few years. Obviously wouldn’t mind a tour and hand picking a GP too but I’m sticking to realism here lol

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except you’re taking your views and a simple price comparison and extrapolating that to cover everyone. Two huge sharks and the care and equipment that comes with them are in no way equivalent to a gem tang.

I’m in the early stages of a very large tank upgrade, 500g+. It couldn’t in any way hold a shark. I have a few must haves that are a bit pricier than avg but most would be common fish. Most fish in the trade are common. I have a couple “want to haves” including a clarion. So yea I’d have a fish that pricey swimming around with normal clownfish and yellow tangs etc. I could even, if I so chose, buy this gem tang because it’s one of my must haves and maybe this “interesting” lined pattern catches my fancy. I’d maybe sacrifice some of my other choices, clarion, to do so. Because now I have a fish that was on my must have list and is unique. Still can’t house those sharks.

Heck I could house those sharks if I wanted. I’d just buy a pond liner and line my 27’ round pool in it. Then convert it to salt water. Couldn’t build anything to cover it though, esp not one big enough to let me in to view my sharks. Nor could I do water changes. Or build a space to house the equipment. Or even afford to feed them long term.

Obviously my person view and experience to argue against yours. But to equate that this fish that many large tanks could house to two huge sharks that a house could barely house is silly. The comparison of them ends at the price and the people that could reasonably buy and care for them aren’t nearly the same.

Actually a 500 plus gallon tank could house a smaller shark (ie Smaller Catshark, Epaullette). I get what you are saying in terms of tank size and level of care. I get that it takes a tank/pond in the 20 foot range and a massive dedicated water change system to care for a big shark or two, I was just pointing out that if someone has 10's of thousands of dollars to spend on fish that they likely have the resources to support a big shark tank, which IMHO is far more interesting than a relatively drab tang with a couple of scars. They also likely have the funds for someone to care for the sharks if they don't wish to be bothered. I just have a hard time seeing someone spending over $6K on this fish and having that as their only expensive fish. I could see maybe someone with a Clarion Angel doing that, but $6200 for a dull and drab tang and then having a bunch of fish in the $20-$300 range makes zero sense to me. When I think of someone willing to spend $6200 on a relatively drab tang, I am thinking of someone who is on this kind of level of fish keeping:

You going to tell me he couldn't handle a big shark tank if he wanted to?

Last edited:

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually a 500 plus gallon tank could house a smaller shark (ie Smaller Catshark, Epaullette). I get what you are saying in terms of tank size and level of care. I get that it takes a tank/pond in the 20 foot range and a massive dedicated water change system to care for a big shark or two, I was just pointing out that if someone has 10's of thousands of dollars to spend on fish that they likely have the resources to support a big shark tank, which IMHO is far more interesting than a relatively drab tang with a couple of scars. They also likely have the funds for someone to care for the sharks if they don't wish to be bothered. I just have a hard time seeing someone spending over $6K on this fish and having that as their only expensive fish. I could see maybe someone with a Clarion Angel doing that, but $6200 for a dull and drab tang and then having a bunch of fish in the $20-$300 range makes zero sense to me. When I think of someone willing to spend $6200 on a relatively drab tang, I am thinking of someone who is on this kind of level of fish keeping:

You going to tell me he couldn't handle a big shark tank if he wanted to?

lol yea using the guy with one of the largest private aquariums sure proves the point that only the super rich would buy a blemished gem tang, but should buy blacktips instead. [emoji849]

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back