Would you spend $6,249.99 for one fish?

• Total voters

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well went with no freakin way, especially on that fish. gem tangs just don't do much for me. and even if i suddenly happened upon a mess of money, i think my limit would be something like a bandit angel in the 2k range.

i guess if i invented amazon and had a hundred billion laying around, i guess i'd buy some pretty absurdly priced fish. but only after i bought myself an island with easy access to reefs, several massive mansions, the miami dolphins so when we suck at least i'd be in charge of the suck, things like that.

OP
OP
crusso1993

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$6000 would also buy you a whole home standby generator, which will protect your current aquatic friends.

And a pretty nice generator, at that!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, there are prettier fish. A candy basslet is better and much cheaper!

It would cause me way too much stress and anxiety and fear that it would die or a coral would bring in some sort of disease. I already stress enough about that on fish that cost around $100. It would make reefing miserable for me.

The most I spent on a pet was around $2800 but dogs/cats are much easier to care for and keep alive their entire lifespan (and he came with a 5 year guarantee against genetic defects). I wouldn't mind spending more than $6000 on a good trained horse or $2000 on a parrot or something but fish are just stressful at times.

ForrestGump

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hard time paying the prices asked for purple tangs and I find them 100x more attractive. Your paying for exclusivity, being the only one to say they have it.

OP
OP
crusso1993

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, there are prettier fish. A candy basslet is better and much cheaper!

It would cause me way too much stress and anxiety and fear that it would die or a coral would bring in some sort of disease. I already stress enough about that on fish that cost around $100. It would make reefing miserable for me.

The most I spent on a pet was around $2800 but dogs/cats are much easier to care for and keep alive their entire lifespan (and he came with a 5 year guarantee against genetic defects). I wouldn't mind spending more than $6000 on a good trained horse or $2000 on a parrot or something but fish are just stressful at times.

Yes, a bird would be very cool too! However, most birds in that price range would have to be left to someone in the will as they would certainly outlive me! o_O

OP
OP
crusso1993

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's gone!

Not surprising. As PT Barnum is rumored to have said, "There's a sucker born every minute." Lol Just kidding as I believe to each their own.

OP
OP
crusso1993

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hard time paying the prices asked for purple tangs and I find them 100x more attractive. Your paying for exclusivity, being the only one to say they have it.

No doubt!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Search for Clarion angel fish. People pay to collect, have something others don't, or residual income. Nothing wrong with that. At the end of the day when you are earning that sort of money $200 dollars is nothing more than a $20 to you or I. I've been there and done that. I'm guilty of dropping $500 dollars on a bottle of wine if not more. Nice night out at dinner, special occasion, and I bring a couple bottles I'm sitting back and looking at a Gem tang on the table... It is about what you enjoy, what brings happiness, and what you can afford.

Art - $$$
Cars - $$$ ($450,000 Ford GT but 2 years from now it will sell for over $1,000,000.00)
Wine - screaming eagle $6,500.00 bottle - I've seen a lad down two bottles in one evening

List goes on and on. I've learned long ago that there are people of all walks of life that earn above and below me and while on the surface it doesn't seem fair - it isn't about fair or jealous or even envious. They have a drive, or learned something, or took a chance, or risk, or better at managing their money, or don't give a dang than I and that is OK. I've tried my best to teach my children the same.

I personally have limits on what I'll pay for coral and fish which is in the $100 - $200 range. So I'm pretty limited I must say. But hey - I do laundry, decent cook, wash cars, mow lawns if you want to pony up some frags ;) I'm a horrible mime, clown, and joke teller though - so please don't request that :D
but who would pay 6000 for that fish???

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed. One would probably need to create an outside room on their property that was dedicated for the entire tank/setup. Then again when you are talking about being able to drop $6K on a single fish it stands to reason you have the resources to keep sharks if you want.
no it doesnt imply that. Lets say there was a 3 inch wrasse for 6000.. or whatever. It doesn't imply that you would build a new building. Check out the tulip bulb craze in the 1700's in the Netherlands. It is the same as spending (Imho) 6000 on that to me ugly tang

U

User1

View Badges
but who would pay 6000 for that fish???

If you are asking about the Clarion? Many already have. I recall seeing one listed then gone in under a minute after being placed on the portal for sale. The other one lasted a couple days then pulled off for some reason. People that buy these fish and/or other animals have connections or know someone who know someone.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are asking about the Clarion? Many already have. I recall seeing one listed then gone in under a minute after being placed on the portal for sale. The other one lasted a couple days then pulled off for some reason. People that buy these fish and/or other animals have connections or know someone who know someone.
no I was wondering about the gem tang with the minor abnormality...

skrivan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a regular gem tang and at night he gets those same lines. Under normal daytime lighting, she displays the normal 'full spots'. I would not pay $6k for that fish.

OP
OP
crusso1993

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't read this entire thread but I think the better question to ask is why is this fish $6000? If it's that rare perhaps we shouldn't be collecting them?

Good point!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back