Would you pay over $6000 for a fish?

Would you spend $6,249.99 for one fish?

• Total voters
U

User1

View Badges
Search for Clarion angel fish. People pay to collect, have something others don't, or residual income. Nothing wrong with that. At the end of the day when you are earning that sort of money $200 dollars is nothing more than a $20 to you or I. I've been there and done that. I'm guilty of dropping $500 dollars on a bottle of wine if not more. Nice night out at dinner, special occasion, and I bring a couple bottles I'm sitting back and looking at a Gem tang on the table... It is about what you enjoy, what brings happiness, and what you can afford.

Art - $$$
Cars - $$$ ($450,000 Ford GT but 2 years from now it will sell for over $1,000,000.00)
Wine - screaming eagle $6,500.00 bottle - I've seen a lad down two bottles in one evening

List goes on and on. I've learned long ago that there are people of all walks of life that earn above and below me and while on the surface it doesn't seem fair - it isn't about fair or jealous or even envious. They have a drive, or learned something, or took a chance, or risk, or better at managing their money, or don't give a dang than I and that is OK. I've tried my best to teach my children the same.

I personally have limits on what I'll pay for coral and fish which is in the $100 - $200 range. So I'm pretty limited I must say. But hey - I do laundry, decent cook, wash cars, mow lawns if you want to pony up some frags ;) I'm a horrible mime, clown, and joke teller though - so please don't request that :D

OP
OP
crusso1993

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None for my current small tank. Post upgrade, in that range maybe a narcosis, CB Conspic or Clarion. If GP ever fell to that price I'd be down to scoop that up too.

Nice choices!

OP
OP
crusso1993

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
crusso1993

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glaring difference being the OP fish many people can house satisfactorily in their aquarium, those you linked basically no one can.

The point is that if you have the resources to drop over $6K on ONE FISH you probably have the resources to create a suitable living environment for a pair of black tip reef sharks.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty tough to keep a 5 foot, 150lb. shark in your house. Not that it cannot be done but it's just not practical.

Agreed. One would probably need to create an outside room on their property that was dedicated for the entire tank/setup. Then again when you are talking about being able to drop $6K on a single fish it stands to reason you have the resources to keep sharks if you want.

OP
OP
crusso1993

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. One would probably need to create an outside room on their property that was dedicated for the entire tank/setup. Then again when you are talking about being able to drop $6K on a single fish it stands to reason you have the resources to keep sharks if you want.

Well, yes and no about the reasoning of a person who can spend $6,000 on a single fish would have resources to keep sharks. There are many reefers that could spend $6,000 on a fish. However, having the space and deep pockets to house a pair of black tip sharks is a different beast. One would need a tank of 20,000 gallons, at least. Sharks are highly sensitive to water quality and very regular water changes would be needed. Obviously, at 20,000 gallons one would be looking at a minimum of 2,000 gallon changes each week. That's not to mention the cost of filtration equipment and cost to operate such equipment. All in all, owning 1 or 2 black tip sharks would require deep pockets... very deep pockets. ;Greedy;Greedy;Greedy

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, yes and no about the reasoning of a person who can spend $6,000 on a single fish would have resources to keep sharks. There are many reefers that could spend $6,000 on a fish. However, having the space and deep pockets to house a pair of black tip sharks is a different beast. One would need a tank of 20,000 gallons, at least. Sharks are highly sensitive to water quality and very regular water changes would be needed. Obviously, at 20,000 gallons one would be looking at a minimum of 2,000 gallon changes each week. That's not to mention the cost of filtration equipment and cost to operate such equipment. All in all, owning 1 or 2 black tip sharks would require deep pockets... very deep pockets. ;Greedy;Greedy;Greedy

Agreed, although I find it highly unlikely that someone would drop over $6K on a relatively drab fish, just for a couple of rare anomalies in it's appearance and simply have that as their only exotic fish (let's be honest there are $200-$600 fish that look far more exotic than this one.) The point is that anyone willing to spend that money on a fish mentioned in this post would likely have a collection of very pricey fish, since this one certainly isn't a centerpiece/showfish. At that point it wouldn't be much of a stretch to have a big shark tank setup. I get the difference in the level of care, but as mentioned the kind of person who could afford $6K plus for a dull and drab fish is definitely in the realm of a 1%'er and they most definitely could afford a big shark tank and can even afford a shark expert to take of them.

Last edited:

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But but.... i mean just look at this fish...
6126fb1e06c66e1eaa95963ca424d8b0.jpg

Sure for $5000 it will also eat my entire coral investment. But it looks like its wearing armor [emoji23]
This was for an silver ar

That is one ugly fish.
I have to agree with you... that is an ugly fish, but the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I just hope he isn't "Color Blind"! LOL

If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I would be saving my money for a Peppermint Angelfish. $30K nice little down payment on anything.

http://www.honolulumagazine.com/Hon...000-Peppermint-Angelfish-at-Waikiki-Aquarium/
The-30000-Peppermint-Angelfish-at-Waikiki-Aquarium

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with you... that is an ugly fish, but the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I just hope he isn't "Color Blind"! LOL

If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I would be saving my money for a Peppermint Angelfish. $30K nice little down payment on anything.

http://www.honolulumagazine.com/Hon...000-Peppermint-Angelfish-at-Waikiki-Aquarium/
The-30000-Peppermint-Angelfish-at-Waikiki-Aquarium
That is a beautiful fish but not 30k pretty. Unless they are practically extinct.. maybe then could one understand such a price gouge
But then again if money were not a problem... hmmm

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like the people who can afford to spend over $6k on a fish are the people who are making $500k+ a year. If I won the lottery then it might be an option but being realistic theres no way I would ever pay this much. My most expensive fish is a purple tang and that runs $150-200 and I feel like even that is super expensive. I hate when I go to my lfs and see a nice frag and I see the price at $80. I grow chaeto so I get roughly $30 every 2 weeks and I just spend that money on frags and its always a cheap looking frag because the "pretty" looking frags run super high especially when getting into sps or rare zoas.

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like the people who can afford to spend over $6k on a fish are the people who are making $500k+ a year. If I won the lottery then it might be an option but being realistic theres no way I would ever pay this much. My most expensive fish is a purple tang and that runs $150-200 and I feel like even that is super expensive. I hate when I go to my lfs and see a nice frag and I see the price at $80. I grow chaeto so I get roughly $30 every 2 weeks and I just spend that money on frags and its always a cheap looking frag because the "pretty" looking frags run super high especially when getting into sps or rare zoas.
Yea ibwould never be able to afford something like this unless something wild happens. BUT, if I could I totally would. You spend what you can on this hobby and nothing more... most of the time. Most I've ever spent on a fish was 100 bucks. That was for a bonded pair of flame hawkfish and i got a 50 dollar discount, originally 150. I had to tho, it was my dream buy :) I had always wanted a pair so I pulled the trigger without a second thought.. as they are relatively hard to come by and completely sick.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back