Would you spend $6,249.99 for one fish?

• Total voters

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even get fish from Divers Den any more,their prices have gotten to high.I can get the same fish locally for more than 1/2 off of what they charge. DD powder blue tang $149.00 locally,$69.00 or less.

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6K would be tough for me. I could go up to a grand though, provided the fish was absolutely gorgeous, unique to me, healthy, and, most important, provided I had the knowledge and wherewithal to keep this fish happy. Not sure ANY fish'll fit that bill for me right now.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If money was no object I would pay that much for a fish, just not this fish. I don't like the looks of it at all. I would not spend that kind of money on a fish just because it was rare, it would have to be beautiful to me. The peppermint I would for sure.
Then after spending that much on a fish I would also have to donate that same amount to a local food bank or some charitable organization. Otherwise I would feel very guilty and too privileged and self-serving. And I would not be able to enjoy the fish from thinking about how this much money could help others in need.

OP
OP
crusso1993

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could afford it and knew they bred well in captivity, then sure may try to breed them. But in this case no! I don't even think this tangs colors are anything to write home about

You are in the majority when it comes to the looks of this particular fish!

OP
OP
crusso1993

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If money was no object I would pay that much for a fish, just not this fish. I don't like the looks of it at all. I would not spend that kind of money on a fish just because it was rare, it would have to be beautiful to me. The peppermint I would for sure.
Then after spending that much on a fish I would also have to donate that same amount to a local food bank or some charitable organization. Otherwise I would feel very guilty and too privileged and self-serving. And I would not be able to enjoy the fish from thinking about how this much money could help others in need.

You're the third person to bring up the Peppermint Angel! Bravo on the giving back idea!

OP
OP
crusso1993

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another one, pipe fish I believe. Retail $3800-$5000. Again depends on which LFS it's sold.

Screenshot_20190210-052021.png

Pipefish are beautiful and graceful but you still can't smoke 'em! ;Wideyed

OP
OP
crusso1993

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even get fish from Divers Den any more,their prices have gotten to high.I can get the same fish locally for more than 1/2 off of what they charge. DD powder blue tang $149.00 locally,$69.00 or less.

Whoa, talk about price gouging!

OP
OP
crusso1993

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6K would be tough for me. I could go up to a grand though, provided the fish was absolutely gorgeous, unique to me, healthy, and, most important, provided I had the knowledge and wherewithal to keep this fish happy. Not sure ANY fish'll fit that bill for me right now.

Great outlook! Sounds like you're having some reefing troubles. Most R2Rer's are more than willing to help so don't be shy about seeking help when it is needed.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could pay 3k for a fish I would pay 6. If I ever win the lottery masked angelfish will be one of my first purchases. Heck angelfish will probably be where I spend most of my money outside of a big house and big tanks. 6k is just way way way out of the question for me unfortunately. I did say 3k because realistically I probably shouldn't spend more then 200-300 on a fish but I'd be willing to spend 500-600 under the right circumstances so same would apply if my fish budget goes up 10x :)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're the third person to bring up the Peppermint Angel!

The holy grail of holy grail fishes. Probably not rare in the ocean, but extremely difficult to collect successfully because of depth. Very poor survival record in captivity. I’d not spend $6K on even one of those - just too likely to die on you. There’s always an ultra high end market for things. Friend of mine sells state of the art loudspeakers for north of $250K a pair. A few sets per year.

OP
OP
crusso1993

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The holy grail of holy grail fishes. Probably not rare in the ocean, but extremely difficult to collect successfully because of depth. Very poor survival record in captivity. I’d not spend $6K on even one of those - just too likely to die on you. There’s always an ultra high end market for things. Friend of mine sells state of the art loudspeakers for north of $250K a pair. A few sets per year.

Being an ex-audiophile, I'm familiar with the elite hifi world.
Just coming back into reefing after about a 15 year hiatus. Soooooo much has changed but I've caught up pretty quickly.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had that kind of money hanging around I’d travel, hire a licensed collector, take a scuba dive, see a fish I like, catch it and bring it home. In the process, I’d get to see a lot of other cool things! Sounds way more fun!

You could do a week or two of the best diving in the world on a liveaboard dive boat in the Red Sea, Papua New Guinea, Palau, etc for $6000.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be too scared I would kill it then what?

That's the thing. You not only need to be wealthy enough to afford it, but also wealthy enough to not be too upset if it dies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back