crusso1993

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they QT’ed it and offered a 30 day warranty sure why not [emoji848]

Annnnnd, sure, that'll happen... right after someone finds a unicorn!

YellowFinsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I would pay that much for a fish, because for me this hobby is a bit of a long term investment. Here's my wishlist (when I am able to afford it):

2x Clarion angelfish
2x Conspic
2x Masked Angel
2x Multibar
2x Venustus
2x Bandit
6x Femininus wrasse
6x Lennardi wrasse
6x Atavai wrasse

reefcleaners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
;Happy
Hey all...

By now, I am fairly certain some of you have seen the recent advertisement for a $6,249.99 fish for sale. This advertisement got me to thinking and caused me to ask myself a couple of questions. Well, more than a couple but these are the two key questions;

1.) Would I pay over $6,000 for one fish?
The answer to the first question is a resounding, "No freekin' way!" Even if I were in a position where money was no object I do not think I could convince myself that any reef fish is worth over $6,000. Furthermore, if I were able to fool myself into dropping that kind of coin for a fish it wouldn't be for the one that is in the ad. Now don't get me wrong as I understand beauty is in the eye of the beholder (just ask my wife!) but, to me, this fish does not fall into the category of beautiful. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even fall in the category of semi-beautiful. To me, it is mildly beautiful.

This brings me to my second question;
2.) Who would pay over $6000 for one fish?
I really do not know anyone that would buy this fish and am truly curious as to if there is/are any out there that would pay $6,249.99 for one fish and what the motivation would be?

And, finally, a bonus question;
3.) If you had roughly $6,000 to spend on fish or coral what would you buy?

Happy reefing!

For all of those wondering... here is the fish!
6000 dollar fish.jpg

Next week I am going to offer a rare crab for $3,000. No one will buy it, but it will be worth $3,000 in advertising. ;Happy

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First even if I had it I don't think I would spend it. I bought a golden dwarf moray for $240 and my wife had to convince me to pull the trigger on that. She knew I liked them and it was appropriate for my tank so she said go for. I think I could go 4 or 5 hundred for a fish if it was the right one, but not much more. As far as coral, I would never pay the price for a bounce or something, but i will one day drop the cash for a meat coral. I almost have a few times but haven't yet. When I find the right one, I wont hesitate to drop 5 or 6 hundred for one if I have the funds to do so.

OP
OP
crusso1993

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;Happy

Next week I am going to offer a rare crab for $3,000. No one will buy it, but it will be worth $3,000 in advertising. ;Happy

Ooooooh... a $3,000 crab! I once saw a $1200 lobster but it was for sale at Legal's Seafood!

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never in a million years would I spend that on a fish! Plus, that fish isn't that pretty to me. Regular gem tang is much better....and 1/6 of the price. the most expensive fish ive ever bought was a golden dwarf eel. And thats because I love my eels :)

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What people will pay is all relative to what there priority's are and means. I personally would have no issue in spending a few thousand on a "fish" or even a dog. To me i see no difference.. Most pure bread dogs cost a few thousand (in Canada at least).

Also $6,000 is in the low end of high end shopping for reef aquarium related fish/coral.

This is the news letter I just receive from my LFS. This particular shop I deal with on a daily basis and they provide more then just fish. When I want something they just get it.

Australian CORALS & FISH +
Philippines FISH & INVERTS Have Landed
just in time for the Lunar/Chinese New Year!!! 02/08/19

恭喜发财! 龙马精神! 身体健康!
心想事成! 年年有餘, 年年有鱼!!!

Highlights Include:

ULTRA ACANS - Colonies & Frags!
Australian Leathers!
Australian Goniopora!

Choati Leopard Wrasses (Macropharyngodon choati)!!! - ALL Eating!
High Fin Coral Fish (Coradion altivelis) - Reef Safe with Caution - EATING!
Australian Stripey (Microcanthus strigatus)! ALL Eating!
- Ideal rare schooling fish for FOWLR

A very special thanks to our Collector/Diver that took the time to collect "A Ripper!" of a shipment exclusively for our Clients. "Thanks, for the Brekky, Lollies, & Buderim Ginger, mate!" 1 Collector/Diver harvested these Aussie Corals and Fish exclusively for
Coral Reef Shop!

Blue Throat Trigger (Small)
Bubbletip Anemones (Green)
Cleaner Wrasse
Copperband Butterflies (Small & Medium) - Aiptasia Control
Coral Beauty Angels
Domino Damsels
Green Chromis
Green Mandarin Gobies/Dragonets
Koran Angel (Small juvenile)
Longnose Butterflies - Aiptasia Control
Mimic Tangs
Moorish Idols
Pin Tail Fairy Wrasses!!!
Singapore/Cream Angel (Small)
Scopas Tang (Small)
Three Stripe Damsel
Yellow Tail Blue Damsel
Zebra Lyretail Angel (Streamers)

NEW locally Aqua Cultured SPS & Softie FRAGS have arrived!!!

Please click on link for Pictures & Videos:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmAv9LJb

LUNAR/CHINESE NEW YEAR WEEKEND SALE:

Captive Bred juvenile Masked Angel (Genicanthius personatus)
from World Renowned Captive fish breeder and Aquarist Karen Brittain

$18,888 CDN Shipped.
OR
$23,888 CDN Hawaiian Package which Includes:
Our "Coral Concierge" will arrange for 1 Round Trip Adult Airfare (North America) to and from Hawaii. A stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort. We will arrange for a meal and drinks at the Waikiki Yacht Club and an evening of sailing where you can view the hotel's famous fireworks display from the water (weather permitting). You can't visit Hawaii without experiencing a luau. Paradise Cove has one of the most beautiful sunsets on Oahu that acts as a backdrop for their award winning luaus. Transportation will be provided from the hotel to Paradise Cove where you will enjoy their "Deluxe Luau Package". You will have a day pass to the Waikiki Aquarium and we will also arrange for a "meet and greet" as you pick up your new CAPTIVE BRED Genicanthus personatusto bring home.....

A Baby Kingi/Tiger Angelfish (Apolemichthys kingi). Size is approx. 3cmand is eating! $12,888.00 CDN Shipped.

Captive Bred Captive Bred Hawaiian Deep Sea Anthias
(Odontanthias fuscipinnis)! from World Renowned Captive fish breeder and Aquarist Karen Brittain $4,888.00 CDN Shipped.

Pintail Wrasses (Exceptional Colours) & Sailfin Wrasses $88/each
Ruby Red Dragonets $38/each
Mandarin Gobies JUMBO $38/each
Cleaner Wrasse $18/each
Chromis & Damsels $8/each

***This week's 'Easter Eggs'......

#1. Brief video clips of the Uber Rare fish that we have sourced and have the privilege to make available to our clients. Captive Bred Juvenile Masked Angel (Genicanthus personatus), Baby Kingi/Tiger Angel (Apolemichthys kingi), and a Captive Bred Hawaiian Deep Sea Anthias (Odontanthias fuscipinnis)!

#2. Natalie Imbruglia teaches us how to perform the 'Tim Tam Slam/Explosion' :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMbrlxTIVtI

#3. Aussie Meat Pies & Sausage Rolls (Fluffy, Buttery, Pastry Wrap - use the ketchup, it's key)- Kanga Aussie Meat Pies, Toronto.....

A NEW Website is due to be Launched SOON.....
Stay Tuned....

CLOSED Mondays
Tuesday - Friday 11am-7pm
Saturday 11am - 5pm
Sunday 12noon - 5pm

https://www.facebook.com/CoralReefShop

@CoralReefShop

Twitter: https://twitter.com/CoralReefShop

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I wouldn't pay that for a tank, so in turn would have no where to put that fish . . . LOL

This peppermint angel has sold for $30,000

Expensive-Saltwater-Fish-Peppermint-Angelfish.jpg

$20,000 for this masked angel

Expensive-Saltwater-Fish-Masked-Angelfish.jpg

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t really see the problem with ppl with MTS and blowing $20K+ on tank builds and $500 acros frags and $1000 bounce shrooms ‍♂️.

At least a healthy fish should give you a good 15-20 years of enjoyment vs say a $800 Radion light that you are lucky to get 3-4 years out of it.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no it doesnt imply that. Lets say there was a 3 inch wrasse for 6000.. or whatever. It doesn't imply that you would build a new building. Check out the tulip bulb craze in the 1700's in the Netherlands. It is the same as spending (Imho) 6000 on that to me ugly tang

I guess we will have to disagree. I have a really hard time seeing someone with a 180 gallon or larger tank dropping $6K plus on a relatively drab/scarred tang and then surrounding it with $30-$50 fish. It's more likely that the person spending $6K on this fish would likely have it complimented with other pricey fish and a handful of them in this class could easily pay for a tank that could house a couple of black tip reef sharks. The point I am trying to make is that when you are talking about dropping this kind of money on a fish, that it's usually in similar company. I could see someone spending $150 on a Purple Tang, or $250 on a White Tail Bristletooth and having it with more inexpensive run of the mill fish, but when you are talking about dropping $6K on a single fish it's usually in good company, so to speak.

Punksboops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not bought from them yet but really good reviews and sell a lot of highend. Have my eye on a dragon moray once this midwest weather warms up

U

User1

View Badges
I didn't read this entire thread but I think the better question to ask is why is this fish $6000? If it's that rare perhaps we shouldn't be collecting them?

Rare != endangered. It usually how they are collected, deeper waters, or areas that restrict the numbers that can be exported or to even what location (think Cuban cigars in this example). Joe who can surface swim to collect fish is going to be cheaper than Bob who is using a rebreather and doing safety stops for both fish and diver. Then there is captive breeding which can vary in difficulty from fish to fish. Price will reflect that.

OP
OP
crusso1993

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never in a million years would I spend that on a fish! Plus, that fish isn't that pretty to me. Regular gem tang is much better....and 1/6 of the price. the most expensive fish ive ever bought was a golden dwarf eel. And thats because I love my eels :)

You're not alone on the Golden Dwarf Eel as @mch1984 also has one!

OP
OP
crusso1993

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What people will pay is all relative to what there priority's are and means. I personally would have no issue in spending a few thousand on a "fish" or even a dog. To me i see no difference.. Most pure bread dogs cost a few thousand (in Canada at least).

Also $6,000 is in the low end of high end shopping for reef aquarium related fish/coral.

This is the news letter I just receive from my LFS. This particular shop I deal with on a daily basis and they provide more then just fish. When I want something they just get it.

Australian CORALS & FISH +
Philippines FISH & INVERTS Have Landed
just in time for the Lunar/Chinese New Year!!! 02/08/19

恭喜发财! 龙马精神! 身体健康!
心想事成! 年年有餘, 年年有鱼!!!

Highlights Include:

ULTRA ACANS - Colonies & Frags!
Australian Leathers!
Australian Goniopora!

Choati Leopard Wrasses (Macropharyngodon choati)!!! - ALL Eating!
High Fin Coral Fish (Coradion altivelis) - Reef Safe with Caution - EATING!
Australian Stripey (Microcanthus strigatus)! ALL Eating!
- Ideal rare schooling fish for FOWLR

A very special thanks to our Collector/Diver that took the time to collect "A Ripper!" of a shipment exclusively for our Clients. "Thanks, for the Brekky, Lollies, & Buderim Ginger, mate!" 1 Collector/Diver harvested these Aussie Corals and Fish exclusively for
Coral Reef Shop!

Blue Throat Trigger (Small)
Bubbletip Anemones (Green)
Cleaner Wrasse
Copperband Butterflies (Small & Medium) - Aiptasia Control
Coral Beauty Angels
Domino Damsels
Green Chromis
Green Mandarin Gobies/Dragonets
Koran Angel (Small juvenile)
Longnose Butterflies - Aiptasia Control
Mimic Tangs
Moorish Idols
Pin Tail Fairy Wrasses!!!
Singapore/Cream Angel (Small)
Scopas Tang (Small)
Three Stripe Damsel
Yellow Tail Blue Damsel
Zebra Lyretail Angel (Streamers)

NEW locally Aqua Cultured SPS & Softie FRAGS have arrived!!!

Please click on link for Pictures & Videos:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmAv9LJb

LUNAR/CHINESE NEW YEAR WEEKEND SALE:

Captive Bred juvenile Masked Angel (Genicanthius personatus)
from World Renowned Captive fish breeder and Aquarist Karen Brittain

$18,888 CDN Shipped.
OR
$23,888 CDN Hawaiian Package which Includes:
Our "Coral Concierge" will arrange for 1 Round Trip Adult Airfare (North America) to and from Hawaii. A stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort. We will arrange for a meal and drinks at the Waikiki Yacht Club and an evening of sailing where you can view the hotel's famous fireworks display from the water (weather permitting). You can't visit Hawaii without experiencing a luau. Paradise Cove has one of the most beautiful sunsets on Oahu that acts as a backdrop for their award winning luaus. Transportation will be provided from the hotel to Paradise Cove where you will enjoy their "Deluxe Luau Package". You will have a day pass to the Waikiki Aquarium and we will also arrange for a "meet and greet" as you pick up your new CAPTIVE BRED Genicanthus personatusto bring home.....

A Baby Kingi/Tiger Angelfish (Apolemichthys kingi). Size is approx. 3cmand is eating! $12,888.00 CDN Shipped.

Captive Bred Captive Bred Hawaiian Deep Sea Anthias
(Odontanthias fuscipinnis)! from World Renowned Captive fish breeder and Aquarist Karen Brittain $4,888.00 CDN Shipped.

Pintail Wrasses (Exceptional Colours) & Sailfin Wrasses $88/each
Ruby Red Dragonets $38/each
Mandarin Gobies JUMBO $38/each
Cleaner Wrasse $18/each
Chromis & Damsels $8/each

***This week's 'Easter Eggs'......

#1. Brief video clips of the Uber Rare fish that we have sourced and have the privilege to make available to our clients. Captive Bred Juvenile Masked Angel (Genicanthus personatus), Baby Kingi/Tiger Angel (Apolemichthys kingi), and a Captive Bred Hawaiian Deep Sea Anthias (Odontanthias fuscipinnis)!

#2. Natalie Imbruglia teaches us how to perform the 'Tim Tam Slam/Explosion' :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMbrlxTIVtI

#3. Aussie Meat Pies & Sausage Rolls (Fluffy, Buttery, Pastry Wrap - use the ketchup, it's key)- Kanga Aussie Meat Pies, Toronto.....

A NEW Website is due to be Launched SOON.....
Stay Tuned....

CLOSED Mondays
Tuesday - Friday 11am-7pm
Saturday 11am - 5pm
Sunday 12noon - 5pm

https://www.facebook.com/CoralReefShop

@CoralReefShop

Twitter: https://twitter.com/CoralReefShop

You obviously have a LFS that offers much, much more than the standard!

OP
OP
crusso1993

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not bought from them yet but really good reviews and sell a lot of highend. Have my eye on a dragon moray once this midwest weather warms up

We're all wanting winter to be over!

Addicted2Coral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kind of a "hey im the only person to have this fish" flex. If you love to impress and have the money, have at it. Me personally.....heck no. That is a supercharger lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back