Would you recommend goniopora on new tank?

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 2 months old. Would you recommend goniopora to new tank? Any tips? Just like how frogspawn, hammer, and etc?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

Goni for me are one of those weird corals. They seem to do well for months, than start to loose polpys. What set up do you have now? Lights, tank, parameters? Are you looking at a flat frag or more of a golf ball style? That may help decide if it would be right time.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this ^ it took me a while for some reason to have a healthy one it’s just one of them corals.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonis are one of my favorite corals. I have 3. What are your parameters and how established your tank is. Even though it's young do you have an established population on pods? Gonis are very finicky. You can lose them even if your parameters are good. As another poster said you can have one happy for months and then the next day out of no where it's all closed up and stays that way. Personally I think it's worth the risk but again main question is what are your parameters?

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my tank when it was 3 months old back in 2015. I added 3 gonis around that time and lost two of the three. The only one that I was able to keep was my ORA red goni which I still have.

It would be helpful to know more about your set up to answer your question better. It is possible, but I agree with the advice of others and would recommend waiting. The only other thing I would add is that not all goniopora species will be the same, and some will be easier to keep.

IMG_3072.JPG
IMG_9883.jpg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 82.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back