Would you run Cheato in this Situation?

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am having a little problem with nuisance algae in my 11 month old tank and I am considering trying chaeto. I am not sure what kind it is but it keeps returning. Does anyone know the type? I am also getting a little bit of hair algae and bryopsis mostly on my frag plugs. I have pulled all the plugs and racks out and scrubbed/picked the algae off but it just returns. My nitrates always stay stable at 2-3ppm but my phosphates kinds of goes up and down. They get to about 0.12-0.2 twice a week then I dose them down to 0.03 with phosphate E. I have tried GFO and chaeto in the past. The GFO just kept getting depleted within less then a week and I was getting getting sick of changing it, I was only running it in a media bag. The chaeto I tried before but worked too well and I had zero nitrates and phosphates. The tank was still pretty new when I was growing it so I took it off line. The thing I am worried about if I try chaeto again is my nitrates bottoming out since they are all ready in the desired range. Now if that happens I have adecent amount of marine pure in the back I could remove which might let it rise a bit or I have nitrate to dose. Also I get almost zero algae growing on the glass and am running a UV sterilizer.

What would you guys do? Try chaeto again, try GFO again but get a reactor, or just try and dose phosphate E everyday to to keep the phosphate level lower and more stable? Chaeto seems like the least maintenance option but again worried with the nitrates going to zero.
PC081209.JPG

PC081215.JPG

PC081213.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add your chaeto and keep eye on trates..if they get too low trim chaeto and feed a lil heavier.

Thanks! It turned out my nitrate test kit was bad. Got a new one in and they were like 20. Added the chaeto and things are starting to come down. I’m keeping a close eye on the numbers and the algae is improving.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use vibrant. It should knock that back easily. But I am not a cheato or gfo fan. Once I knocked the algae back the coralline took off. Only used vibrant for 6 weeks. Tanks only 6 months old.
20191219_103429.jpg

I have used it in the past and it worked for me but this last time around it didn't seem to be as effective. I have also noticed when using it my ALK consumption drops, corals lose color, and coralline goes away. If I have a major outbreak I may give it a third try but for the little bit I have its not really worth it. I think now that I know my nitrates were the problem ill be able to get it under control.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used it in the past and it worked for me but this last time around it didn't seem to be as effective. I have also noticed when using it my ALK consumption drops, corals lose color, and coralline goes away. If I have a major outbreak I may give it a third try but for the little bit I have its not really worth it. I think now that I know my nitrates were the problem ill be able to get it under control.
For what its worth I used it at half the recommend dose with no alk issues or others. It just takes longer.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the same with vibrant, does it's job, but the tank doesn't seem to like it.
Looks like you got a handle on this, but I was going to suggest.
Running cheato along with filter socks.
I use my filter socks as a bit of a gas pedal when it comes to nitrate.
When my nitrate tests lower than 5 I just leave the dirty filter socks in for a couple of days longer and like magic the no3 rises.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the same with vibrant, does it's job, but the tank doesn't seem to like it.
Looks like you got a handle on this, but I was going to suggest.
Running cheato along with filter socks.
I use my filter socks as a bit of a gas pedal when it comes to nitrate.
When my nitrate tests lower than 5 I just leave the dirty filter socks in for a couple of days longer and like magic the no3 rises.

That's a great suggestion, thanks. I have an all in one so I just run poly-fi. I leave it in for 5 days but I could leave it in longer when they need a bump. Also want to maybe try to dial in how long the fuge light stays on.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back