Would you use a Coral & Fish species directory / database?

MarcosTacos

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 17, 2022
Messages
180
Reaction score
102
Location
Quebec
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I recently had to sell my 60g aquarium unfortunately, but I want to stay involved in the hobby as much as I can.

I always felt that finding and identifying specific corals or fish was kind of a pain.
I am a software developer and was thinking about creating some sort of directory where people could search for corals, fish and maybe other organisms in our aquariums.

Is that something that you would use? Do you already use something similar but wish it could be improved?

Let me know!
 
i would use it, somehow making an app that you can take a picture and it automatically identifies would be real cool.
 
Hi all, I recently had to sell my 60g aquarium unfortunately, but I want to stay involved in the hobby as much as I can.

I always felt that finding and identifying specific corals or fish was kind of a pain.
I am a software developer and was thinking about creating some sort of directory where people could search for corals, fish and maybe other organisms in our aquariums.

Is that something that you would use? Do you already use something similar but wish it could be improved?

Let me know!
unrelated question, being a software developer are you familiar at all with apple app development by chance?
 
I agree with the above. To have a fish and coral identifier app would make a killing imo. Take a photo of fish, corals, macros, even other algae and run it through a database to try to identify. Seriously could be a great tool. New reefers at a lfs takes a few photos and learns that baby trigger will get big and mean. Or this dottyback gives a big red warning. Small fish very big attitude don't add to a peaceful tank!

Wishing I was a year further into computer science to start developing now! But basic python isn't going to be any help!
 
unrelated question, being a software developer are you familiar at all with apple app development by chance?
I am familiar with mobile app development using react native, I haven't developped anything specifically for IOS using Swift though.


I agree with the above. To have a fish and coral identifier app would make a killing imo. Take a photo of fish, corals, macros, even other algae and run it through a database to try to identify. Seriously could be a great tool. New reefers at a lfs takes a few photos and learns that baby trigger will get big and mean. Or this dottyback gives a big red warning. Small fish very big attitude don't add to a peaceful tank!

Wishing I was a year further into computer science to start developing now! But basic python isn't going to be any help!
I agree! Although my concept was more to create a directory of some sort which would be a lot easier to develop. Image recognition is something I would need to research to see how it could be implemented down the line.
 
start with the basic, a mobile directory that can be flipped thru would be steps ahead of trying to google images.

Make that the free version, build the reputation of a good accurate library and then work on the auto recognition version and charge for that.

also when it comes to zoas and such you can document all the different names to the same zoa.
 
Is there already something that does this? A Google search will accomplish everything you want to make a program for.
 
Like I said, my goal is not to make money from the users. I want to make the hobby more accessible for both new hobbyists and experienced ones alike.


Is there already something that does this? A Google search will accomplish everything you want to make a program for.
That's why i'm asking. If for you a google search is enough to fill your needs, you don't feel like something like this is needed and answer my question, you would not feel the need for such a tool.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 9.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new