Wound identification

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
I noticed this wound on my largest blue damsel yesterday. At least I strongly suspect its a wound. I added a new angel fish in about 4 days ago, and those two had a few scuffles but now they leave each alone. I think because the angelfish taught him a lesson.

Anyway, I just wanted your opinions as to how deep this wound is, and if there should be any cause for concern?

Thank you

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for letting me know. It said file 100% uploaded, so not sure where is actually went.... I'll have to upload to youtube first and then link the video.... Glad things are so much easier now on the site

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for letting me know. It said file 100% uploaded, so not sure where is actually went.... I'll have to upload to youtube first and then link the video.... Glad things are so much easier now on the site

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly YouTube works better anyway. Sort of a pain, but it especially helps on a phone.

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here you go... I hope this works.... Sorry for the double posts above, Internet is a tad wonky today.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Here you go... I hope this works.... Sorry for the double posts above, Internet is a tad wonky today.

Appears to be uronema which often affects damsels and chromis
Treatment in a separate quarantine setting will be formalin based quick cure or ruby rally pro for at least 10 days
After treatment, you can give fish seachem metroplex with foods to assure no internal problems exist

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This probably began as a minor injury, but now there is a secondary infection of some sort,

It could be Uronema, but the lesion seems a lot more "lumpy" and gray than I would expect. Also, Uronema is most common on newly acquired fish, this one seems to be well established?

There is a fungal disease that looks like this, I've treated that with a one hour 75 ppm formalin dip every other day for three treatments. Trouble is, you have to find formalin, and then be able to catch the fish up.

Do you think you will be able to keep a group of blue damsels like that long term? I've always had difficulty with them fighting.

Jay

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This probably began as a minor injury, but now there is a secondary infection of some sort,

It could be Uronema, but the lesion seems a lot more "lumpy" and gray than I would expect. Also, Uronema is most common on newly acquired fish, this one seems to be well established?

There is a fungal disease that looks like this, I've treated that with a one hour 75 ppm formalin dip every other day for three treatments. Trouble is, you have to find formalin, and then be able to catch the fish up.

Do you think you will be able to keep a group of blue damsels like that long term? I've always had difficulty with them fighting.

Jay
Thanks Jay. Yes they are pretty well established, they werent recently added by any means. Everything was OK until the I saw the coral beauty walap him with his gill spine. The damsel backed off and then noticed this yesterday from the what I thought was a very small wound. So maybe it has got infected.

I have already tried to catch him with no success. I honestly don't think I will be able too. I have alot of caves and crevices for them to dart into. And I can't really remove the rocks/clams/oysters either as some have attached to each other, and the base of the rocks is buried in a deep sand bed that is betweem 10 - 12cm deep. So I don't really want to disturb anything either as that could cause me even bigger problems.

I think the only thing I can do is literally watch, hope for the best and if the fish gets weak and easy to catch, then try again.

I am hoping that it isn't too bad, and his immune system can fight it off

Attachments

• IMG_20220416_171033.jpg
    IMG_20220416_171033.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20220416_171044.jpg
    IMG_20220416_171044.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Regarding the group of damsels questions, I have managed to keep a group of 8 yellow tail damels for 2 years before in a 40gal, without loosing any.

I have had these 8 blue damsels for about a month and half / 2 months now and thus far they dont show "extreme" aggression to each other (but we are talking damsels here lol). They will obviously chase away from each ones territory but none have done any damage to each other and seem to be alright. As I did with my last 8 yellow tails, I made sure there was alot of rocks and cave work, some of the smaller ones have actually dug holes in the sand and created their own "caves" which seems works well from them as nothing but the crabs can get it. I think as well as caves, hiding spots and territories, my tank is also 1.5m long, so they can spread out a fair amount.

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
This is pretty much as it is all day. Only the occasional chase, and no one fish is targeted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just an update. The crabs have done a wonderful job at the cleaning the wound. The problem is now sorted.

Back