New wounds continue to appear on the bottom of Sebae foot. Heteractis Crispa

cairolip21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I've had this Sebae for almost 2 months now and I'm not sure what's wrong with it or how to get it to improve. When it arrived it was attached to the bag and also attached in the tank. A few weeks ago it released and I thought my clowns had gotten under it and annoyed the foot enough to let go, but numerous attempts to get it to attach again failed. I noticed some small wounds under the foot so I assumed it took a bit of time for them to develop after it was removed to ship.

I put it in a container inside the tank with a PVC cap to hopefully attach in to prevent the clowns from bothering it while it healed. It took about a week and the wound healed, but then I found another one. About another week later that one now healed but now 2 more popped up. Any idea where these "wounds" might be coming from? Is there anything I should be doing other than waiting for it to heal? I don't have another tank setup to cipro or anything, but if it comes to that I'm sure I can figure something out.

Thanks for any help!

20230922_075031.jpg 20230922_080703.jpg

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I've had this Sebae for almost 2 months now and I'm not sure what's wrong with it or how to get it to improve. When it arrived it was attached to the bag and also attached in the tank. A few weeks ago it released and I thought my clowns had gotten under it and annoyed the foot enough to let go, but numerous attempts to get it to attach again failed. I noticed some small wounds under the foot so I assumed it took a bit of time for them to develop after it was removed to ship.

I put it in a container inside the tank with a PVC cap to hopefully attach in to prevent the clowns from bothering it while it healed. It took about a week and the wound healed, but then I found another one. About another week later that one now healed but now 2 more popped up. Any idea where these "wounds" might be coming from? Is there anything I should be doing other than waiting for it to heal? I don't have another tank setup to cipro or anything, but if it comes to that I'm sure I can figure something out.

Thanks for any help!

20230922_075031.jpg 20230922_080703.jpg
I’ve found sebae’s to be prone to this type of wound. I’m not sure what causes it. What you are doing seems to be working, my experience has been that they go downhill and ultimately die once this starts, but I didn’t do anything to help it heal initially thinking it would recover on its own. So, I’d keep doing what you are doing if it’s allowing it to heal. If it gets much worse, I’d consider Cipro treatment.

OP
OP
cairolip21

cairolip21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found sebae’s to be prone to this type of wound. I’m not sure what causes it. What you are doing seems to be working, my experience has been that they go downhill and ultimately die once this starts, but I didn’t do anything to help it heal initially thinking it would recover on its own. So, I’d keep doing what you are doing if it’s allowing it to heal. If it gets much worse, I’d consider Cipro treatment.
Thanks. It seems like it's a pretty hardy specimen since it still feels pretty firm but they just keep showing up. Maybe I'll think about the cipro before it's too late.

OP
OP
cairolip21

cairolip21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow-up in case anyone ends up in a similar situation.
Went the cipro route, used a 10gal tank, half filled with a 1/4 pill of cipro (got from chewy without prescription) and full water change daily.

Kept it on egg crate so the bottom of the foot would have exposure in case the cipro works topically as well as systemically.
8 days in treatment (to fully use 2 pills). And it's looking a lot better!

Shed quite a lot of mucus the first few days and then started to attach again to the egg crate. Before the final day I gave it a 2" pvc end cap to attach in. Grabbed on and seemed happy. Put it back in the tank by burying the cap in the sand next to a rock. It's back in the tank for a week already, still attaching and is eating krill again. So far so good!

Attachments

• 20230927_093000.jpg
    20230927_093000.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230929_114813.jpg
    20230929_114813.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20231008_125718.jpg
    20231008_125718.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20231008_125723.jpg
    20231008_125723.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 27

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back