Weird anemone disease ID ?

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a BTA that keeps inflating like a balloon and floating around the tank, will not grab on to anything with it's foot ..NO foot damage .
It's in my qt now , and this started after cipro treatment of a few days ...this is the second time this happened after a few days of abx...same BTA before ..have seen it with sebae in the past as well.

So ..disease ? reaction to cipro ? seems like it cant regulate water..puffs up , floats around, comes down , unable to hold anything with the foot ..

Any thoughts?

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a BTA that keeps inflating like a balloon and floating around the tank, will not grab on to anything with it's foot ..NO foot damage .
It's in my qt now , and this started after cipro treatment of a few days ...this is the second time this happened after a few days of abx...same BTA before ..have seen it with sebae in the past as well.

So ..disease ? reaction to cipro ? seems like it cant regulate water..puffs up , floats around, comes down , unable to hold anything with the foot ..

Any thoughts?
Can you please send a picture?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything in the QT for it to attach to ?
If you seen it with a sebae and now the BTA, it’s likely the qt set up isn’t nem friendly

OP
OP
H

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything in the QT for it to attach to ?
If you seen it with a sebae and now the BTA, it’s likely the qt set up isn’t nem friendly
bare glass , 1 sm piece of rock.. this is not about it having nothing viable to attach to...other nems in the same tank , even sebaes -grab on to the bottom glass -no problem ... just think of an overinflated tire -thats what it looks like ...

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could it be air building up inside the nem from decomposing bacteria? never heard of that happening, just a thought.

what were the symptoms that prompted you to start cipro?

OP
OP
H

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what were the symptoms that prompted you to start cipro?
None..just arrived from shipper ...lots of brown crud in the bag...I treat everything thats shipped long distance overnight from the Jobber mills (most online vendors)

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something wrong with your tank that upsets them? Age? Parameters? Use of copper products or tap water?

OP
OP
H

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something wrong with your tank that upsets them? Age? Parameters? Use of copper products or tap water?
all good thoughts..but I've thought them through as well...I'm going to place it in a new sterile tank with new ro/di fresh salt water ...and see what happens .. I'm banging my head on this one... keep the suggestions coming ..something may click.

OP
OP
H

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is that a british saying or something?
Nah..but goes way back in my aquarium history ...I'm referring to these places that feed off the LA and other wholesalers and transhippers...they go around and cherry pick stuff and turn it right over to the hobbyists...
or..they look at the inventory at the wholesalers and post it as if held by them..you order it , and they run down and grab it - then ship to you..blue zoo is a good example..

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah..but goes way back in my aquarium history ...I'm referring to these places that feed off the LA and other wholesalers and transhippers...they go around and cherry pick stuff and turn it right over to the hobbyists...
or..they look at the inventory at the wholesalers and post it as if held by them..you order it , and they run down and grab it - then ship to you..blue zoo is a good example..
ooh yea blue zoo just has a bin at cortez/harry's full of all the good stuff he's cherrypicked from their shipments LOL.

is your bta still floating?

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ooh yea blue zoo just has a bin at cortez/harry's full of all the good stuff he's cherrypicked from their shipments LOL.

is your bta still floating?
Wait... what? You're killing me here. I don't mean to derail, but I used to buy a ton of gigs from them/him. You mean to tell me that they were just coming from Cortez?

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried removing the BTA from water and seeing if it deflates? I've let BTAs, gigs, and mags sit exposed to air while doing water changes without issue. Or maybe just shake it?

I'm wondering if your BTA is having trouble regulating the osmotic pressure, and by removing it from water or forcing it to partially deflate, it'll self adjust.

I've never seen an anemone react this way due to illness/infection. I've seen mouths inflate but never the foot.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well..yes? ..it attaches at night ,late afternoon....then floats in the early hrs till early afternoon.... very confused !
Oh got it. I assumed this was happening all of the time. Very confusing!

OP
OP
H

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if your BTA is having trouble regulating the osmotic pressure
My thoughts exactly , D-Nak ...I just left the room where it is housed ...was attached to the glass..So I tried to feed it a small piece of squid ..It readily accepted it and ate well... So ..now I just wait and see if its blown up like a balloon again in the morning , floating around and unattached again.. If it has a disease - I doubt it would grab food readily...oh well ..for now the mystery continues....

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just some wild stabs here... any other color variations on the tank? Any leathers? Running carbon?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back