Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To a bacteria, at least.

This article has some really interesting information in it:

How microbes survive in the open ocean
http://science.sciencemag.org/content/357/6352/646.full

For example:

"To emphasize the remarkable balance between cellular needs and supply, consider that open-ocean concentrations of ammonium ions—the preferred inorganic source of nitrogen for P. marina—are often 10 nanomolar (nM) or less. Thus, ammonium molecules are distributed at a distance l of about 0.6 µm. A seawater volume of ∼0.5 µm3, equivalent to a large microbial cell of radius 0.5 µm, would thus contain less than five ammonium ions. Yet, one smaller P. marinacell requires 4 × 108 N atoms per day to divide. In other words, to reproduce, a microbial cell needs to harvest the ammonium from hundreds of millions of times its cell volume"

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy anyway to view the article with having to log in?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its mind boggling how there are any reserves at all considering the suspended floc and nitrification powers within seawater itself as communities in suspension vie for foodstuffs. seawater is alive, and hungry, and efficient apparently at maintaining just enough portion on a continual basis. amazing

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humans get rid of much of there N from "ports" below the navel. I thought I read that fish eliminate most of their N through their gills - and much of it was in the form of ammonia.

Can anyone very that second part (gills - ammonia)?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep for sure. I sure thought they emit a concentrated and low volume urine as well, for osmoregulation, and iirc the gills are the primary surface exchange for ammonia and waste gas and o2

and now im off to google whether fw fish rely on gill exchange to the same degree, having to work far less on osmoregulation. they swim where water doesn't try to constantly leave cells

Last edited:

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep for sure. they emit a concentrated nitrogenous urine too but lung surface area I believe is major liberation source

Then perhaps the N reserves for the bacteria are the finned bags of flesh with gills.

I guess another way to look at it is fish are just ammonia factories needing algae as a raw material input. (Can you tell I work in manufacturing?)

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humans get rid of much of there N from "ports" below the navel. I thought I read that fish eliminate most of their N through their gills - and much of it was in the form of ammonia.

Can anyone very that second part (gills - ammonia)?

Yes, marine fish excrete ammonia via gills. :)

Keiffer the reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just guessing, but I don't think the bacteria have that much trouble getting ammonium in my overstocked tank. [emoji848][emoji51]

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an amazing statistic.

I'm just guessing, but I don't think the bacteria have that much trouble getting ammonium in my overstocked tank. [emoji848][emoji51]

There's a lot of competition for ammonia. It's highly preferred by other things like Algae from which to get a source of N over other forms like ammonium nitrite or ammonium nitrate.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does this fit with the zeovit system? Their "magic rocks" that you have to pump every day are supposed to absorb ammonia before the bacteria even has a chance to change it to nitrite.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will not matter in regards to nitrification. Nothing we do to a tank after hydrating it, giving time to complete the cycle, under normal care standards (meds excluded of course, no major revisions to acting surface area) stops or retrogrades nitrification to the point we have a lack of bacteria and can measure that as free ammonia against a consistent bioload.
If you wet it, the nitrifiers get there and they find feed from the miniscule offerings of nature just fine even with minor insults we may allow. The classic example was going fallow for 76 days...if I don't feed my bac, they'll die (not)

That's not to say someone intent on finding a breakpoint in surface area and free ammonia measures couldn't arrange things to indicate that...but we all deal typically in massive surface area designs, all your nitrifiers need is water and time, then there's no going back

Of all the animals we farm, bacteria need no consideration from us in how we reef unless we are designing ways to export them from overload. We don't have to find ways to keep the baseline. Water is all they need.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does this fit with the zeovit system? Their "magic rocks" that you have to pump every day are supposed to absorb ammonia before the bacteria even has a chance to change it to nitrite.

IMO, ammonia binding is an unimportant side effect of such zeolites. It provides no substantial benefit or detriment.

teller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your rose a very interesting question.
Not regarding specifically zeovit but the generic use of zeolith in a reactor to absorb immediately amonia.
Interesting these methods then push thr comsumer to add additional bacteria and new sources of nitrogen.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this thread below on tiny pico reefs is the best description of the truth regarding what bacteria require Ive ever seen. not just because its on a pico reef, but because he's doing months-long fasting testing.

-ammonia gets in, though he does not provide, then the bac are still able to digest orders more than their natural adapted amnts of ammonia after a huge dump... due to surface area allotments not changed-

what he's doing here goes against the grain of what 99% of posters would have predicted in a poll set before the test. neato. bacteria are bulletproof basically
https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/to...stablished-tank/?tab=comments#comment-5559443

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the effect that makes the corals "bleach" in zeolith systems. After the removal of ammonia the density of photosynthetic pigments in the corals gets reduced making them appear brighter and more intense in color. I think nitrate is still present in zeolith systems. Maybe the filtration over zeolith even increases nitrification since bacteria can grow on the zeolith substrate. The reduced availability of ammonia and nitrogen causes the reduction of photosynthetic pigments in Zooxanthellae.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back