WP40 vs MP40

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People who buy MP anything are just name brand buyers who try to have the "best" to show off to their non-existent friends. Yes, I know a person. They claim they don't like that "inch of a wire in the water" just to prove their point their ear-muff looking powerheads are worth it.

WP or the newer Jebao's work better IMO and cheaper. I compared an MP10 with a WP and I personally liked the WP better.

Than what should be said about people who buy Jebao's? People who buy them are too cheap to buy Tunze's? Just stop. If somebody wants that "inch of wire in the water" out of the tank thats their choice, good for you that the wire doesn't bother you.

jsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Than what should be said about people who buy Jebao's? People who buy them are too cheap to buy Tunze's? Just stop. If somebody wants that "inch of wire in the water" out of the tank thats their choice, good for you that the wire doesn't bother you.

You beat me too it. I prefer the jebaos but I'm not going to say those who buy ecotech are just brand shoppers. Just like I won't say those who buy jebao pumps are just haters that can't afford ecotech pumps.

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just stop what? Expressing my opinions? lol.

Well of course it is their money so they can buy whatever they want. I am just speaking from my experience with someone I know. I would rather have that inch of a wire than looking like my tank is listening to Pandora. My opinion.

Last edited:

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...but I'm not going to say those who buy ecotech are just brand shoppers. Just like I won't say those who buy jebao pumps are just haters that can't afford ecotech pumps.
+1

Wow

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People who buy MP anything are just name brand buyers who try to have the "best" to show off to their non-existent friends. Yes, I know a person. They claim they don't like that "inch of a wire in the water" just to prove their point their ear-muff looking powerheads are worth it.

WP or the newer Jebao's work better IMO and cheaper. I compared an MP10 with a WP and I personally liked the WP better.

MP's

0001389348799_500X500.jpg

Do the Jaebo pumps offer the same various modes the Ecotech pumps offer? Nutrient Transport mode, Reef Crest, etc or do they just create waves without much programming behind them?

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stop what? Expressing my opinions? lol.

Well of course it is their money so they can buy whatever they want. I am just speaking from my experience with someone I know. I would rather have that inch of a wire than looking like my tank is listening to Pandora. My opinion.

Your opinion is an assumption that every buyer of a Vortech is just like a SINGLE person you have had experience with. Enough said.

This one guy I know with a Porsche is just materialistic and wants to impress people he doesn't know, so everyone that owns one is too.

I don't think the fish would enjoy the music under the water very much either. :xd:

jsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one can argue that the customizable modes on the vortech check are the best out there. But yes the new rw pumps have an else mode mode which is the same as reef crest mode. They also have 4 other modes that I have yet to try.

nola90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They both do the same thing, move water.

One costs $50 and the other costs $250+

The difference between them is how they look (some people prefer the motor outside/no wires inside), manufacturer, and the quality of their customer service.

If you don't like wires inside, ecotech is your best and only bet. If you care about cost and want a strong pump than the jebaos are for you. If you care about customer service and worry that if a pump or something breaks, go with ecotech as jebao is pretty slow with responses.

Each one has their pros and cons, but to call each other "brand-******" or "cheap" is acting like we're in high school again.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one can argue that the customizable modes on the vortech check are the best out there. But yes the new rw pumps have an else mode mode which is the same as reef crest mode. They also have 4 other modes that I have yet to try.

Are there any video comparisons yet to compare how they move water mode for mode yet? Would be a cool video to see.

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the Jaebo pumps offer the same various modes the Ecotech pumps offer? Nutrient Transport mode, Reef Crest, etc or do they just create waves without much programming behind them?

They offer quite a bit. A buddy got the new RW series and said it was more advanced but I have yet to compare.

Anyways, here are a few functions of the older style WP series.

This is from Fish Street:

"Jebo ModesPress the 'MODE' button to cycle through the selection of functions.
H1 H2 H3: High, constant, non-variable flow (13,000 LPH / 9700L / 6500L)
L: Low, constant, non-variable flow at a third of the speed (4,300 LPH)
W1: Short pulses which, when timed correctly will create a back and forth motion and form a gentle standing wave in your tank. Adjust the controller to change the speed of the pulses and vary the size of the wave according to your tank.
S1 to S3 Mode: Based on the W1 Wavebox function provides 100% 75% and 50% Wave
W2 & W3: Pump gradually speeds up and slows down incrementally to create a varied flow pattern. Adjustable to form the wave best suited to your tank.
Else: Reef Stream Mode, a mixed, changing pattern that creates a random flow cycle similar to what you would find in a natural reef.
Feed: Press the 'FEED' button once, the blue '10min' light will illuminate indicating that the pump has been stopped for 10 minutes. When the time has elapsed, the light will go off and the pump will be turned back on. Alternatively, press the 'FEED' button again to start the pump.
Lock: To prevent changes from inadvertently occurring by accidentally knocking the adjustable control knob, press and hold the 'FEED' button for 5 seconds. The red 'LOCK' light will illuminate and the control knob will no longer function. Press and hold the 'LOCK' light for a further 5 seconds to disable this feature.
*Night: When the two-pinned sensor is inserted into the two small plugs on the left-hand side of the control box, Night mode will function automatically. The sensor detects when the tank lights go out and slows the pump to half speed. The 'Sensor' light will illuminate when Night mode is in operation. To disable the Night mode function, remove the sensor from the control box.
* Night mode is a new feature intended for use with low output lighting. The sensor can become damaged when used with high output VHO, HQI and LED lighting systems. Customers use the sensor with high output lighting at their own risk. The sensor is not covered by the manufacturer's warranty if used with high output lighting."

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your opinion is an assumption that every buyer of a Vortech is just like a SINGLE person you have had experience with. Enough said.

This one guy I know with a Porsche is just materialistic and wants to impress people he doesn't know, so everyone that owns one is too.

I don't think the fish would enjoy the music under the water very much either. :xd:

Fair enough.

I would have to admit I just do not understand why someone will buy a MP rather than a Jebao...but I DO understand the cosmetic choice.

Besides the cosmetic appearance, both do the exact same things...but I think the Jebao's are better from my study.

As for the music, lol.

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish Street again regarding the RW models.

"
Feature (Jebao RW8 Wireless WaveMaker)
  • 8 Different Flow Rate (700 - 8000Litres)
  • Super Silent. The Rubber is Base on FS Series to Design (100% smaller sound than Vortech)
  • Wireless Controller to connect Master / Slave Pump
  • Can Standalone Operation on One Pump or Wireless
  • Easy installation and maintenance.
  • Magnetic bracket
  • Night sensor - automatically detects when tank lights go out and slows the pump.
  • One-touch feed mode - slows pump for a period of 10 minutes.
  • High performance, powerful, water flow combined with low energy consumption.
  • Ceramic shaft for long life and durability
  • Intelligent control system to generate various wave patterns to suit your tank.
  • Extra-long cable for ease and comfort of placement, even on larger tanks.
  • Low voltage, safe, reliable power supply. Suitable for freshwater and saltwater

Wave Mode :

W1Wave Mode
Remoting the knob is necessary when operate this mode to adjust the wave patterns among one or more pumps at the same time. As the volum of water in tank is different from the capacity of the tank, wave period needed to be adjusted by switching the knob. The wave is biggest when wave length turn to be same as the length of tank; Increase the wave length by switching the knob in clockwise, and reduce in anti clockwise.
Tips: You should switch the knob gradually and notice the wave pattern in a certain period after each adjustment.Press “SPEED/FEED”to adjust the flow rate.

W2 Sine Mode
One or more pumps can operate at the same time in this mode. The power various between 30%-100% and the regulation looks like a sine curve.

Else Random Mode
One or more pumps can operate at the same time. It is a random mode as the power of pump is changing to a random data all the time without regulation.

HFlow Mode
One or more pumps can operate at the same time. In constant flow. Flow rate can be adjusted by “SPEED/FEED”

C Shift to flow mode Two pumps are needed to be operated at the same time, when they shift wave and flow in cycles. P1 work, P2 stop;P2 work, P1 stop;P1 work, P2 stop. and cycles like this. Cycle period (1s-1min)can by adjusted by switching the knob and adjust the flow rate by pressing SPEED/FEED"

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough.

I would have to admit I just do not understand why someone will buy a MP rather than a Jebao...but I DO understand the cosmetic choice.

Besides the cosmetic appearance, both do the exact same things...but I think the Jebao's are better from my study.

As for the music, lol.

I bought the MP40's I have because they were used by a reputable LFS on one of his tanks and he was selling them for a great price so I went with them. Cosmetically I always wanted them because in my opinion flow is the most important part of my reef for controlling my water parameters. I also put a lot of work into my tank, so I want it to look the best to my opinion, and my opinion of the nicest looking is having no wires. Than the only reason I might get a MP60 by the end of the month is because vortech is having a sale and it will be $100 off. I've used koralias for a while and had a hard time getting flow the way I want everywhere in the tank, with the MP's its easy.

Now.. A closed loop is probably better than both.

Reefermadness73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switched from WP-25's to RW-15's
RW's have a wider flow and they get that "undertow"'that everyone loves about the MP's

Acro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get why there is even an argument on which one is better. It's all about an individual's taste. I like ecotech products, not only because of the wire being out of the water, but because of the way the company stands behind their product. I'm willing to spend more money on someone I can call up if a problem arises and knowing they'll be on top of it. I had my first mp40 go out and they replaced it the next business day.

We can argue all day long on who has the best product, but in my OPINION the best product doesn't just perform in the tank but also out of it!

(MPs are the best)

Joking!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 80 72.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back