WP40 vs MP40

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost apples to oranges. I think the jeboas are much more comparable to the tunze streams in design and functionality. The only thing they really have in common with the vortechs is that they are a propellar pump. Where the jeboas are basically a rev engineered version of the streams
+1000

No "almost" about it, IMO. The comparison here is between a knock-off Tunze (with equally knock-off controllability) and a Vortech.

Consider all the historic "Tunze v. Ecotech" debates, add in cheap imitation to the equation, and that's what this topic is. I've read about it nearly 100's of times.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the Jebaos work the same as MP's, in sync with one another, master and slave? Two MP's in Reef Crest mode, running in anti-sync (when one is high the other is proportionally low) is ultimately what I want, and I'm willing to pay for it. If the WP's will do the exact same thing, then maybe you've saved me some cash.

"In random mode, you can toggle between Reef-Crest and Lagoonal modes. When a pump is in Lagoonal Random Mode, use the dial to set the maximum operational speed. The driver will automatically randomize the pumps’ output to simulate either a high (Reef-Crest) or low (Lagoonal) energy reef environment.

If this pump is a master, the associated slave pumps will replicate the master in sync or anti-sync modes."

Last edited:

jsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run two rw's in else (similar to reef crest) with one at max and the other as low as 10%.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I consider myself a very 'Practical Reefkeeper' yet have the funds to buy whatever I feel is important to the health or aesthetics of my Reeftank but all products must be of value to me not to please the masses. I have had both a EcoTech Vortech MP40 and Jebao WP-40 in my 125g DT and currently have two of the newer RW-15's in place. Can and will say from real hands on experience as a long-term Reefkeeper and bit of a Designer/Mechanical Engineering background alike that for my money the Jebao is hands down a better value especially the new RW series. The programming options to the RW series is every bit as good/complete as the MP's with a fairly small profile and a huge advantage in being able direct flow. After fully taking apart all three models to see what makes them tick I am no more impressed with the build quality or components of the EcoTech product over the Jebao. So for the exceedingly large amount of coin they're asking for them am actually quite disappointed in the Vortech pumps. They (EcoTech) are however IMHO "GREAT MARKETEERS"

I have had no issues with nay of the Jebao pumps as of yet and have heard mainly good things about Customer Service from Fish Street, Reef Breeders and Jebao USA and YES EcoTech Customer Service was very prompt in helping me find a new $93 wetside replacement on a 2 year old pump..... hmmmm

Cheers, Todd

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the Jebaos work the same as MP's, in sync with one another, master and slave? Two MP's in Reef Crest mode, running in anti-sync (when one is high the other is proportionally low) is ultimately what I want, and I'm willing to pay for it. If the WP's will do the exact same thing, then maybe you've saved me some cash.

"In random mode, you can toggle between Reef-Crest and Lagoonal modes. When a pump is in Lagoonal Random Mode, use the dial to set the maximum operational speed. The driver will automatically randomize the pumps’ output to simulate either a high (Reef-Crest) or low (Lagoonal) energy reef environment.

If this pump is a master, the associated slave pumps will replicate the master in sync or anti-sync modes."

WP's you are correct. But the new RW's seem to have this option as well.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps down the road I will be trying the RW's on my frag tank. Seems like every one of you that have them are happy with them I will give them a try.

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to jebao on the recommendation of my lfs about 9 months ago and they are awesome. I'm sold! It is by far the best "gamble" I've taken yet and my only regret is all the money I've wasted on lesser pumps and controllers prior to discovering jebao!

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had all of the MP pumps MP10, 20, and 2 MP40's but in the older versions. Never had an issue with ether the MP10 or MP20. One of my MP40's got a snail inside of it and it pretty much wiped out the wetside, I now use it as a paperweight on my desk LOL. I replaced that and about 6 months later BOTH of my MP40's quit within a week of each other, they both had an out of alignment code flashing. I called Ecotech and they asked me to send them both in to them. Problem is I couldn't justify sending older pumps off to be fixed when I could get NEW WP40's for less than the cost of a Vortech wet side.... So I purchased one and I'm amazed at how much quieter it is than the MP. Plus with the MP's I was constantly bumping the dry side and having to re align the pump. I've found the Jebao's to be a set it and forget it pump "with the exception of the occasional cleaning". I recently traded one of my faulty MP40's for a WP40 and I'm glad I did. I still have one of the faulty MP40's and will probably keep it and one day send it in just to see what's wrong with it. I hate buying Chinese but there becomes a point where it is just crazy not too. The way I look at it if the WP quits then throw it away and buy another NEW one for less than what it costs to fix a Vortech.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it will not be the first, nor last, mistake I have made in this endeavor, but, I did go ahead and buy a second MP40 today. I already had the one, an expenditure I made in complete ignorance over a year ago, and simply wanted a second. Both BRS and MD are selling it at $70.00 off their normal retail right now, and I'll have a matched pair. On my next 150 I'll get Jebao's and then I won't be a brand name buyer.
:cry:

(What I like about this thread is that it seems to be user/experience driven, no seller/sponser driven bias)

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got my RW-15s today!
uploadfromtaptalk1407961941315.jpg

Preyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past, I bought Jebao pumps because I am a reefkeeper on a budget. I want the best for my corals while still being able to afford to keep them. If I could afford a pair of MP40s and a pair Radion Pros I would own them, no question... They are the aquarium equivalent to owning a Mac. They just look better than everything else out there to humans. I cannot vouch that any of their products cannot be replicated environmentally inside of the display for less money. If I can make my animals just as happy using equipment that affords me the ability to have a spare on the shelf with a few bucks left in my pocket, so be it. A trio of RW pumps will be my next big purchase for the display.

Ms. Mermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only complaint I have with my WP40 is when the electricity went out it would not work properly. I then hooked it up on one of my old wavemaker boxes and after a few days it started working like it was suppose to. Then lights went out again and the control box did it again. So I again hooked it back up on the wavemaker and it took longer for it to start working properly. Third time around and can't get it to work right anymore. But I love it because you can move it in any direction vs the MP's they face one way and that is it.. Plus you can't beat the prices either on the WP's.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my RW-15s today!
uploadfromtaptalk1407961941315.jpg

Daniel you will not be disappointed, they will 'Rock' your 180. Try setting them up in a gyre on the W1 (Wave #1) setting in since mode and cycle knob to slow at speed 6 or 7 just 3-4 down from the top to minimize cord showing and pointed slightly downwards. IMHO the gyre setup is the most effective flow pattern in a rectangle box.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
dbg

dbg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this is turned into a heated debate! Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll look into the RW's...

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Daniel you will not be disappointed, they will 'Rock' your 180. Try setting them up in a gyre on the W1 (Wave #1) setting in since mode and cycle knob to slow at speed 6 or 7 just 3-4 down from the top to minimize cord showing and pointed slightly downwards. IMHO the gyre setup is the most effective flow pattern in a rectangle box.

Cheers, Todd

Thanks! I got them set up today in else mode, but I'll try this instead. The flow is amazing! Much more than my WP40s

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 69 70.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back