Wrasse’s tail looks like it’s about to fall off!

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had this wrasse for months and today I noticed his tail looks like it’s about to fall off on both sides. It’s super red and looks infected. Any cause ideas and what would treatment be? Could it be a bite? Prick from the tang? Infection/cause? He is in with a pufferfish but my puffer is such a gentle little guy so I would have a hard time believing he did this. Now the tang on the other hand is a very nippy/territorial fish. The wrasse is still eating and out and about but I don’t have high hopes for his survival looking at this injury. IMG_4030.jpeg
IMG_4031.jpeg
IMG_4032.jpeg

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks horrible, like a Hewbie nibble during a reefturf battle.

If the wrasse is still swimming and eating it has a reasonable chance of a quick and full recovery. These kind of wounds tend to look to be fatal but healthy fishes can heal amazingly fast. If it starts looking worse, or if the fish behavior changes then you will want to intervene. Right now I would just observe and pray. God made these things to heal..

BTW, was this a thing that happened while you were away in France? Hewbie may have got angry and blamed the wrasse for your departure. I would have a talk with those fishes and let them know that they are not supposed to fight when you are not looking. Sorry. hoping for the best.

Loop Waiting GIF

:cool:

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks horrible, like a Hewbie nibble during a reefturf battle.

If the wrasse is still swimming and eating it has a reasonable chance of a quick and full recovery. These kind of wounds tend to look to be fatal but healthy fishes can heal amazingly fast. If it starts looking worse, or if the fish behavior changes then you will want to intervene. Right now I would just observe and pray. God made these things to heal..

BTW, was this a thing that happened while you were away in France? Hewbie may have got angry and blamed the wrasse for your departure. I would have a talk with those fishes and let them know that they are not supposed to fight when you are not looking. Sorry. hoping for the best.

Loop Waiting GIF

:cool:
No it had to have happened late last night or earlier today.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am glad you are home safe but I still need you to have that talk with your fishes. That Wrasse could have been dead if Hewbie had wanted to kill it, imo. I am trusting in Hewbie's good character that he didn't inflict a fatal blow, even by accident? Let's see what the doctors say? GL :smiling-face-with-halo:

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I am glad you are home safe but I still need you to have that talk with your fishes. That Wrasse could have been dead if Hewbie had wanted to kill it, imo. I am trusting in Hewbie's good character that he didn't inflict a fatal blow, even by accident? Let's see what the doctors say? GL :smiling-face-with-halo:
I am too! If Hewbie bit him or even nipped at him even by accident he’d be dead and/or half eaten. Hewbie packs a powerful punch.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weren't you experimenting with anthias weeks ago?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have had this wrasse for months and today I noticed his tail looks like it’s about to fall off on both sides. It’s super red and looks infected. Any cause ideas and what would treatment be? Could it be a bite? Prick from the tang? Infection/cause? He is in with a pufferfish but my puffer is such a gentle little guy so I would have a hard time believing he did this. Now the tang on the other hand is a very nippy/territorial fish. The wrasse is still eating and out and about but I don’t have high hopes for his survival looking at this injury. IMG_4030.jpeg
IMG_4031.jpeg
IMG_4032.jpeg
There is a good infection here and looks like a bite or injury was inflicted at the tail and will need to be treated with either Seachem Kanaplex or Seachem Sulfa Plex. Kanaplex is absorbed by the fish and will help with any internal damage causing the swelling. This should be done of course in a separate quarantine tank

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I looked at the photos earlier today, but nothing jumped out at me except the potential that it is from an injury. I think Hewbie might be the culprit, like it chomped down on its tail, but then didn't follow through with the attack. Do you have any other fish in there with a mouth large enough to bite the wrasses' tail?

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I looked at the photos earlier today, but nothing jumped out at me except the potential that it is from an injury. I think Hewbie might be the culprit, like it chomped down on its tail, but then didn't follow through with the attack. Do you have any other fish in there with a mouth large enough to bite the wrasses' tail?

Jay
When i said bite, I kept hewbie out of it but. . . . .

1698345668364.png

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay
No!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 45.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 32.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back