Wrasse addition but what

mraysberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to add a new wrasse or two into my tank. I’m currently running a reef system with an IM 45 gallon aio. I’ve been eyeing a leopard wrasse but maybe you guys have some better suggestions. Shoot your thoughts and ideas

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another consideration would be a small fairy wrasse (one out of the lubbocki or lunatus complex) or a flasher wrasse. Any flasher wrasse would be fine with the exception of an eight line.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that guy could have made worse choices in his wrasse stocking but it wouldn't have been easy......LOL. Two thalassoma wrasses in a tank that size will become one and then the survivor will likely take out all the other wrasses when it's mature.

Read this article written by one of R2R's own wrasse experts. It will help you decide what's appropriate for your tank. Bring any questions or just your stocking list to the fish forum and you'll get good advice on which ones are appropriate.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.259894/

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here a great video breaking down multiple wrasses in one tank.

I really got into the hobby watching CJ's videos, but uhh, his fish selections and advice is not exactly advisable. I'm not sure he keeps fish long enough to see how they turn out as adults... like the two thalassoma wrasses in that tank would've been bad news bears if he kept the tank going for long

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to add a new wrasse or two into my tank. I’m currently running a reef system with an IM 45 gallon aio. I’ve been eyeing a leopard wrasse but maybe you guys have some better suggestions. Shoot your thoughts and ideas

Unless that's a strange dimension 45 gallon it's too small for a Leopard in the long run and Leopard Wrasses are literally a case of picking the right fish. Many don't do well in shipping and don't adapt to foods other than pods. So you need to observe them for a couple of weeks before buying one. As mentioned above C.Lubbocki aka Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse is a much better choice as it stays smaller, is totally reef safe and easy to care for.

Here is an example of one:

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that guy could have made worse choices in his wrasse stocking but it wouldn't have been easy......LOL. Two thalassoma wrasses in a tank that size will become one and then the survivor will likely take out all the other wrasses when it's mature.

Read this article written by one of R2R's own wrasse experts. It will help you decide what's appropriate for your tank. Bring any questions or just your stocking list to the fish forum and you'll get good advice on which ones are appropriate.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.259894/

No kidding. I get so tired of seeing bad info given on wrasses. They are such a massive family with such a wide range. The generally Peaceful Halichoeres, Fairy and Flasher Wrasses are generally what people refer to when they recommend wrasses, steer clear of the Thalassoma and Lined Wrasses and you will generally have a great experience with Wrasses.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No kidding. I get so tired of seeing bad info given on wrasses.
Hence the reason I've written pages trying to give better advice. :) I got really tired of wading through the bad advice trying to find the good years ago. (and there's one video above that doesn't qualify as good - I'll let you figure out which one :p)

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hence the reason I've written pages trying to give better advice. :) I got really tired of wading through the bad advice trying to find the good years ago. (and there's one video above that doesn't qualify as good - I'll let you figure out which one :p)

Yeah, I see it on other forums and groups all the time, where people are convinced that all wrasses absolutely have to have an on demand supply of pods at all times, are very aggressive and will kill your other fish, etc.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back