Wrasse/Blenny to add to my 180

Mr.Asbury

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to add a few things to my 180g reef. Right now, I have a Diamond Watchman goby, 2x clowns, and 2x banggai cardinals. I'm looking to ad 2-3 peppermint shrimp and a one-spot at the same time (after QT).

My blenny of choice is a lawnmower blenny, and I do have a good bit of algae that grows on my back glass and some of the rocks that I'm sure he will love - my goby picks some of it off of the glass now. I'm still trying to decide on the particular wrasse, but I like the coloration of most of the fairy wrasse. I was hoping for some suggestions of one that would fit with the lawnmower blenny & diamond watchman and has a good personality.

Are these fish compatible, and what suggestions do you have for the wrasse?

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For wrasses most of the halichoris specifies are excellent choices. Colorful, cheap, and some of the best pest control your corals (and clams!) my favorites are halichoris Iridus and halichoris Cosmetus. For fairies you can have almost any price and color you can think of. I am partial to lubboki’s because of the amazing coloration and that that it is one of the most peaceful.

I also recommend taking a look at a starry blenny instead of a lawnmower. They preform the same duties but statutes tend to have better personality and are a great deal more attractive

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would second looking at a starry blenny over a lawnmower blenny. Many lawnmower blennies never accept foods offered and slowly waste away.

The good thing about wrasses is you can mix-and-match many of the reef safe species, so why limit yourself to one? Do you have any that you are drawn to?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would second looking at a starry blenny over a lawnmower blenny. Many lawnmower blennies never accept foods offered and slowly waste away.

The good thing about wrasses is you can mix-and-match many of the reef safe species, so why limit yourself to one? Do you have any that you are drawn to?
I agree, I recommend 3-4 :)

raphmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could look into some flahsers and possums I guess. And hey, if you feel like you’re up for a challenge, you could get into leopards...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back