Wrasse cocoons

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a new Carpenters flasher Wrasse, Yellow Fin Flasher and pink margin fairy wrasse. I thought I noticed white poop a few weeks ago so I’ve been treating their food with metro and focus. It’s been 3 weeks and after just waking them up they have long strings of white coming from their anus (I’m assuming) but now I’m wondering if this is just where they spool (?) their cocoon from? Is that normal to see when they first wake up or are they still fighting an internal infection of some kind and if so what do you recommend instead of the Metro/Focus?

OP
OP
TrishK

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
feeding to much?

Just twice a day...and they don’t eat much of it. I gave them some tigger pods when they came in the mail (adding to my Fuge) and they ate those like crazy so I think that’s all they want now. I know my ruby head wrasse in my DT is sooooo fat so I know he hunts pods all day. I have more pods coming in a few days and plan to dump a bunch in the QT of wrasses. I have given them a variety of foods and they seem disinterested in almost all of it. Rods, plankton, mysis, mysis with algae, brine, krill, pellets, hatchery, bluezoo formula...you name it.

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G’day, I have a six line wrasse that makes a cocoon every night that looks like slime and is noticeable at first light, sometimes the slime may float around the tank for a while.

OP
OP
TrishK

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G’day, I have a six line wrasse that makes a cocoon every night that looks like slime and is noticeable at first light, sometimes the slime may float around the tank for a while.

Yes I’ve noticed this on my Red Ruby wrasse but this looks like white poop stringing from their anus. Which confuses me because I’ve fed them Metro for a couple weeks now twice a day. ..even put a few doses in the water column

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed the same thing on my pink streaked in the mornings, try blowing it off with a turkey Baster if you’re really wanting to make sure, should come off if it’s mucus and won’t if it’s stringy poop

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen mucous cocoons left by my fairy and flasher wrasse, but have never noticed it coming from the anus.

OP
OP
TrishK

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah pretty sure it’s white poop. Could be because I had to switch QT with them yesterday and they were stressed and not eating. I heard that can produce white poop. They seem to be eating again so I’ll see how it is tomorrow.

51CBF802-5FF5-4420-8BA9-39B2A7A5CC2C.jpeg 08CAE5C0-06E7-4F9F-B932-B88C55BCB14E.jpeg

OP
OP
TrishK

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it’s becoming more normal looking again. I netted some copepods from the Fuge and they’ve been on the hunt ever since. Also put in some more nori just in case they decided to eat it. Have never been able to get them to eat veggie flakes or nori or algae sheets or any of that veggie matter ‍♀️

972BBD42-0089-4496-8FF8-1786826A5FB9.jpeg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back