wrasse discussion/question

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i want to add a dusky wrasse, a lunare wrasse, a small tail pencil wrasse and a scarlett pinstripe wrasse to my 100 gallon tank, is this to many/incompatible with the tank/each other. are any of these not idol citizens/annoyingly aggressive or will they get along fine. the lunare wrasse is the only one i have to have im so in love with that fish ill only keep that one if i need to.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i want to add a dusky wrasse, a lunare wrasse, a small tail pencil wrasse and a scarlett pinstripe wrasse to my 100 gallon tank, is this to many/incompatible with the tank/each other. are any of these not idol citizens/annoyingly aggressive or will they get along fine
Do not get a lunare wrasse to go with any of these or in a 100 gallon. They get WAY too aggressive. I'd also skip the scarlet pinstripe wrasse, as they tend to be very aggressive with other wrasses.

The pencil wrasse is an awesome, reef safe, peaceful choice, but can be difficult to keep. Make sure it is only introduced into a well established tank with plenty of copepods, and that you acquire an initially healthy specimen (many/most come damaged in shipping and never recover). They are also prone to intestinal parasites, so a good deworming is necessary.

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not get a lunare wrasse to go with any of these or in a 100 gallon. They get WAY too aggressive. I'd also skip the scarlet pinstripe wrasse, as they tend to be very aggressive with other wrasses.

The pencil wrasse is an awesome, reef safe, peaceful choice, but can be difficult to keep. Make sure it is only introduced into a well established tank with plenty of copepods, and that you acquire an initially healthy specimen (many/most come damaged in shipping and never recover). They are also prone to intestinal parasites, so a good deworming is necessary.
well, thats why i ask i guess, get my dreams crushed most of the time but its better to just not get one tbh so i wont, do you have any recommendations on a fair priced wrasse list i could get? my girlfriend wants a blue spotted puffer so its not a reef tank its fowlr so no need for reef safe, just peaceful and i would like atleast one to be a bit bigger like 6-8 inches and i dont really wanna spend more than $100 per fish so i can get 10 or so instead of like 3 $250 wrasses if that makes sense, i find that most cheaper wrasses are just as beautiful.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, thats why i ask i guess, get my dreams crushed most of the time but its better to just not get one tbh so i wont, do you have any recommendations on a fair priced wrasse list i could get? my girlfriend wants a blue spotted puffer so its not a reef tank its fowlr so no need for reef safe, just peaceful and i would like atleast one to be a bit bigger like 6-8 inches and i dont really wanna spend more than $100 per fish so i can get 10 or so instead of like 3 $250 wrasses if that makes sense, i find that most cheaper wrasses are just as beautiful.
Halichoeres chrysus
Halichoeres melanurus
Halichoeres cyanocephalus
Halichoeres timorensis
Halichoeres iridis
Cirrhilabrus bathyphilus
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki
Cirrhilabrus isosceles
Cirrhilabrus brunneus
Cirrhilabrus katherinae
Cirrhilabrus briangreenei
Cirrhilanrus ryukyuensis
Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis
Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura
Paracheilinus carpenteri
Paracheilinus mccoskeri
Paracheilinus angulatus
Paracheilinus cyaneus

Once the tank is older:
Pseudojuloides cerasinus
Pseudojuloides severnsi
Macropharyngodon meleagris
Macropharyngodon bipartitus
Macropharyngodon negrosensis

Other options (since you aren't adding any corals) would also include:
Larabicus quadrilineatus
Bodianus bimaculatus (add last as can get a little more aggressive than most on this list).

Pick 5 or so of your favorites from this list.

I'm able to find all of these locally for under $100 if I shop around.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whereabouts in the world you are will make this list much different. Some of us can get some ridiculously rare wrasses for almost triple the price of others. Whilst some common wrasses can be much harder to get in those areas.

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whereabouts in the world you are will make this list much different. Some of us can get some ridiculously rare wrasses for almost triple the price of others. Whilst some common wrasses can be much harder to get in those areas.
south eastern united states, all my fish stores are riddled with everything known to man im buying strictly offline from now on, bought a clownfish from a fish store recently and the dude made it three weeks in his qt tank jsut fine no meds or anything then boom woke up one morning and the little guy had brook and velvet at the same freakin time, looked like he was dropped into powder sugar and then dropped into a can of expired condensed milk smh, so i wanna get some hardy larger wrasses for my 100 gallon tank i bought a oversized uv sterilizer and a ton of other things to try and help keep that stuff at bay or eliminate it completely and im gonna qt all the fish i buy of course but im done with my lfs all together even the high rep ones tanks are riddled with the nastys.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back