i want to add another fish to my tank and decided i want to get a wrasse

dont want a 6 line either

was going to get a mystery wrasse but i know they like to jump

mbunaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanarus, Yellow Coris, Green Coris, and Radiant Wrasse. Sixlines are a hit more miss. Most of the wrasses in the Halichores sp. are great pest eaters.

reefermadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Grass, they are cool and change colors a lot. BUT....They will move everything that is not secured searching for food, and they jump!

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep....the sea grass wrasse is the boom-diggity when it comes to pest control..but hard to find here in Toronto

but, as mbunaman stated, any wrasse from the halichores family will do...

here's what i have in my frag tank right now....he's a machine!

Melanurus wrasse/Green coris wrasse
20AB4A18089F4ECBA0D04E2D4EF8C1BES.jpg

Zach

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i thought halichores were not reef safe?
are these guys fairly docile?

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the so called yellow coris wrasse (not a true coris) and that fish is out of this world at eating pests! I had two in my 72G when it was set-up and personally saw them consume zoo eating nudis, monti eating nudis and flatworms! The one I have in my 50G has completely eradicated the flatworms and keeps the pod population in check. I've fortunately not gotten nudis in this tank but believe she would eat them since my former yellow coris wrasse ate them. They're very pretty fish too. Here is a link to them at marine depot:
http://www.marinedepotlive.com/golden-coris-wrasse---halichoeres-chrysus-fish--wrasses.html

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and I wanted to add that this fish does not disrupt the sand bed or frags the way the sea grass wrasse does

rocko918

I wanna be a rock star
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Melanarus and a sea grass in my 75 and they have not helped at all. The sea grass is always knocking stuff over. Very cool to see him swim around as he hovers alot but i wish he would take care of my nudis. I have been trying to pick up a yellow coris local but keep striking out.

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean about searching for these fish Bob. I drove to the other side of Baltimore to get mine because no other place I checked had them in stock because they always sold so fast!

mbunaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Coris are hard to find healthy. The reason is they are usually imported from Bali and the handling and catching procedures are not the best. So they usually die in transit. If you find one at a LFS that looks healthy and they had it for a few days jump on it. Even if you pay more for it.

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Coris are hard to find healthy. The reason is they are usually imported from Bali and the handling and catching procedures are not the best. So they usually die in transit. If you find one at a LFS that looks healthy and they had it for a few days jump on it. Even if you pay more for it.

whoa.... didn't know that!...thank god mine is healthy and eating like a champ!

up here, i've seen yellow coris wrasses as much as i've seen yellow tangs...no joke...a dime a dozen, i tell ya!

Zach

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good point mbunaman! I could tell mine was healthy but underfed. When I introduced her to my tank she was so happy and had so many pests to eat (flatworms + large cannibalistic pods) that she's now pretty fat :lol: Now when I watch her everyday she is this amazing huntress, scanning over my frags for anything bad. I should also add that these are wonderful fish to keep with clams as they will eat those evil clam eating snails, the pyramillid snails and will also eat large bristleworms (she seems to leave the small ones alone and she also leaves all my turbo snails, nassarious snails and hermits alone as well).

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, i thought i was going insane for a bit because i thought i saw this topic on nr and looking through every page over there only to find it here!
anyways, as per everyones recommendation, i got one of these yellow coris wrasses today for my prop tank
after reading that theyre not always the healthiest specimens i asked the lfs guy when they got em in and they said last night and i was like...ewwwww.....but he looked healthy, no tattered fins and fairly plump
after temp acclimating i plopped em in and let him do its thing
came back from work and his belly was BULGING, theres a LOT to eat in my tank so im not too worried
swimming and looking great, just hope hes really healthy

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back