Wrasse Gone Missing

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

TL;DR Wrasse has been hiding in the sand for four days after jumping into the overflow box for the second time.

I've got a melanurus wrasse in my 75, and I've had him for around 9 months. He's had a few times where he's gone into the sand for what felt like an eternity (but was actually a few days). He's currently in the sand, and I'm starting to worry (as it has been four days now). My tank has a glass cover, and some 3D printed grids for where the glass doesn't cover (the 3D printed grid was added this weekend, following the events below).

We 3D printed the coverings because the wrasse has ended up in the overflow box on two occasions. The first time was on the first of the month, and, after the hassle of getting him out and back into the tank, he dove into the sand (as expected) and stayed there for ~24 hours.

Fast forward to four days ago and another game of "where's the wrasse?", we find him to be, yet again, in the overflow box. Got him back into the display, and he dove into the sand.

As you can imagine, I'm feeling less than comfortable as things continue here... No destabilization events (that I'm aware of), and nothing out of the ordinary as of late, so I don't expect water parameters to be the issue... That said, here ya go:

1643047505627.png

PO4 was 0.11 ppm on Thursday (was due for a GFO change, which I performed on Saturday with my weekly water change), and Nitrate was < 5 ppm.

I've also checked all around the tank as best I can for him, just in case he made it out during the night (which would be super strange), and didn't find him anywhere, so I assume he's still in the sand.

Anybody had this kind of thing happen? I'm afraid if I go digging it will make things worse, but I don't know for sure...

Last edited:

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses are known for hiding in the sand. Mine disappears occasionally too.
As far as it jumping, are there other fish that may be bullying it? Have you checked for stray voltage?

OP
OP
H

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Forgot to update this thread.

The wrasse actually showed up on the fifth day, and has been looking fine since. Happy ending!

As for why it jumps, honestly no idea. My sailfin can be rather obnoxious, but really only seems to go for my copperband. My coral beauty frequently follows the wrasse around, but not in a way I'd call aggressive (just seems to be interested in whatever the wrasse is doing).

As for stray voltage, I've not felt anything (had a small cut recently on my hand and felt nothing. In the past, when I definitely had stray voltage leaking, I felt something haha). I also have a ground wire, so I very much doubt there's stray voltage.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a video of mine going to bed the other night:
I've got a silver belly wrasse and my cheapest but favourite fish and can almost set time when he dives in sand and where he goes under and usually wakes nearly at exact time each time.
And only early days having him at provably 8- 9 months but still amazes me how he does it ^_^

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you found your wrasse! It's strange timing that I just saw this thread because I just noticed my fairy wrasse has been missing for about a month...I on the other hand do not have too much hope for it hiding in the sand or rockwork. Haven't found a single sign of it ever since

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 86.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back