Wrasse ID?

Yourlocalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9457.png
Does anyone know what this wrasse is? I’m planning to get it and I dont know what name it is or if it’s reef safe?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! It doesn’t look like any other the other pencil wrasse that were in the store could it be a juvenile?
It is a juvenile but I don’t think it is a pencil. Unfortunately I’m away from my book and the other wrasseperts are asleep. My guess though is a Thalassoma which would not be reef safe.

Upvote 0

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a juvenile but I don’t think it is a pencil. Unfortunately I’m away from my book and the other wrasseperts are asleep. My guess though is a Thalassoma which would not be reef safe.
@i cant think doesn’t sleep when the wrasse signal is activated.

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9457.png
Does anyone know what this wrasse is? I’m planning to get it and I dont know what name it is or if it’s reef safe?
Currently I’m between Coris caudimacula and Halichoeres pelicieri.
Im leaning towards a Coris caudimacula which is one of the smaller of the Coris genus. These guys gain a nice pink dorsal with yellow striping. This species I believe is closely related to Coris dorsomacula which also comes up in photos when searching for Caudimacula. I remember the two species as Caudimacula being the pink species and Dorsomacula is the more brownish species. I believe that specimen is a maturing female :)
Here’s a matured female of this species
BDF16923-6D01-44F9-BC4D-5102536125FC.jpeg

And a matured male.
4566C25F-0578-499D-A685-4A94993F600E.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Yourlocalreefer

Yourlocalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a pelicieri to me, I owned one but the colors were a bit more bright. However on second thought it looks like what @i cant think pointed out. Do you know the origin of this fish?
Currently I’m between Coris caudimacula and Halichoeres pelicieri.
Im leaning towards a Coris caudimacula which is one of the smaller of the Coris genus. These guys gain a nice pink dorsal with yellow striping. This species I believe is closely related to Coris dorsomacula which also comes up in photos when searching for Caudimacula. I remember the two species as Caudimacula being the pink species and Dorsomacula is the more brownish species. I believe that specimen is a maturing female :)
Here’s a matured female of this species
BDF16923-6D01-44F9-BC4D-5102536125FC.jpeg

And a matured male.
4566C25F-0578-499D-A685-4A94993F600E.jpeg
Oh wow the female looks amazing. I don't know the origin but I will keep you updated when I go later. I think the reason its color is more gone is the copper in the tanks and its been there for quite some time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Yourlocalreefer

Yourlocalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow the female looks amazing. I don't know the origin but I will keep you updated when I go later. I think the reason its color is more gone is the copper in the tanks and its been there for quite some time.
I just got back with the wrasse and they told me it was a pencil wrasse. I have a video of it here if it helps. Currently I’m planing to put it in my 220 gallon where the only other wrasse is a six line and has lots of sand.
IMG_9706.jpeg

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back with the wrasse and they told me it was a pencil wrasse. I have a video of it here if it helps. Currently I’m planing to put it in my 220 gallon where the only other wrasse is a six line and has lots of sand.
IMG_9706.jpeg
That is one strange looking ‘Pencil’…
Also be cautious with the Sixline as they can be murderous beasts even in large tanks.

Your LFS likely ordered it in as a pencil but actually wound up with a Coris caudimacula.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Yourlocalreefer

Yourlocalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one strange looking ‘Pencil’…
Also be cautious with the Sixline as they can be murderous beasts even in large tanks.

Your LFS likely ordered it in as a pencil but actually wound up with a Coris caudimacula.
Hi day one on the wrasse being in the tank. So far everyone left it alone even the sideline didn’t care surprisingly. It does nip at the small common feather dusters around the rock work, eats fine, and doesn’t bother coral. The only fish that shows some type of aggression would be the diamond goby’s but that’s since it gets too close.

I think so too after looking at the pictures online and comparing it to mine it’s definitely a Coris caudimacula.

Thank you all for you’re help it’s a amazing wrasse and hope it does well
IMG_9727.jpeg
IMG_9731.jpeg

Pictures serve no justice looks better in person

Upvote 0

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back