Wrasse in 11g?

hailey1423

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 11g nano reef with 1 extreme picasso clownfish, I love the look of possum wrasses and heard they are peaceful and can live in 10g but wanted other opinions on this decision. Would this be okay to have those 2 fish together in a small tank? Other fish I am considering is neon blue goby or a clown goby (possum wrasse would be my first choice) I also like cleaner shrimp. What would be the best option?

R0L0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 11g nano reef with 1 extreme picasso clownfish, I love the look of possum wrasses and heard they are peaceful and can live in 10g but wanted other opinions on this decision. Would this be okay to have those 2 fish together in a small tank? Other fish I am considering is neon blue goby or a clown goby (possum wrasse would be my first choice) I also like cleaner shrimp. What would be the best option?
I wouldn't recommend the wrasse with the clownfish in that small of a tank. The clown will most likely set up almost all the tank as it's territory and will be aggressive to other fish thag like to swim around in its territory. If you really wanted another fish goby would be best because they stay close to the rocks and substrate more than in the open water and would be less likely to be messed with by the clown. You could also get another smaller clownfish and they would most likely do well together in thag size tank.

OP
OP
H

hailey1423

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't recommend the wrasse with the clownfish in that small of a tank. The clown will most likely set up almost all the tank as it's territory and will be aggressive to other fish thag like to swim around in its territory. If you really wanted another fish goby would be best because they stay close to the rocks and substrate more than in the open water and would be less likely to be messed with by the clown. You could also get another smaller clownfish and they would most likely do well together in thag size tank.
Okay, I tried another small clown about a month ago and only lived for a week and a half, my clown seemed to bug it a lot, when I took it out of the tank his back fin was nipped and the ones under his body were shredded so I think i’ll stick to just 1 clown. Yea, wrasse would not be the best choice then. I think i’ll go with a goby. Thanks!

R0L0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I tried another small clown about a month ago and only lived for a week and a half, my clown seemed to bug it a lot, when I took it out of the tank his back fin was nipped and the ones under his body were shredded so I think i’ll stick to just 1 clown. Yea, wrasse would not be the best choice then. I think i’ll go with a goby. Thanks!
No problem

old salt reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a 6 line in a IM nuvo 10(really only about 8 gallons) for a couple of years. Has since moved into a larger tank. I don't see any problem other than the clown maybe to aggressive to the possum wrasse.

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns very aggressive; Mine everytime I put my hands in it will attack me. They will mark their territory and fight for it

D9ohsoar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree clowns can be aggressive. For some reason I’ve always lucked out with my more aggressive fish. My clowns are in a 10 gallon AIO, they are super friendly, no idea why. I’d like to think it’s because I talk to them and put my fingers in the tank and swirl it around lol so we have a bond.. but realistically it’s probably just the luck of the draw. I would monitor the fish daily and just know that if things take a turn, you’re going to have to upgrade the tank or rehome the fish.

OP
OP
H

hailey1423

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest to think about a bigger tank if you want more fish, its small for even just one clownfish
Clowns very aggressive; Mine everytime I put my hands in it will attack me. They will mark their territory and fight for it
Wow, my clown won’t attack me but sometimes has issues with other fish, seems like a disaster waiting to happen with the wrasse. Defiantly have to look into another fish.

Critteraholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing that usually works is to remove the clown, rearrange stuff noticeably in your tank. Put the wrasse in first and then the clown. So everybody is looking for new territory. And make sure there are places the wrasse can hide in that the clown can't fit. Good luck!

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing that usually works is to remove the clown, rearrange stuff noticeably in your tank. Put the wrasse in first and then the clown. So everybody is looking for new territory. And make sure there are places the wrasse can hide in that the clown can't fit. Good luck!
Yes that could work. You always put the most aggressive fish last.

Breadbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your mileage may vary with clowns, my pair of clown(sub adult size) eat from my hand, swim around constantly and have never shown an ounce of aggression towards anything.

When new fishes are added they'll swim over and stare at the fish for awhile, but other than that they ignore other fishes completely. Not that I would recommend wrasse or clowns in a 11g for the long term.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 167 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back