Wrasse issue

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I seem to have an issue with any new wrasse or "wrasse like" fish I add to my tank. Over the last few months, I have around 7 or 8 unaccounted for all new additions. I have two fairy/flashers, a few leopards, a cleaner and a pair of adorned as far as wrasses go. All seem to be fine. Its just the new additions.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I seem to have an issue with any new wrasse or "wrasse like" fish I add to my tank. Over the last few months, I have around 7 or 8 unaccounted for all new additions. I have two fairy/flashers, a few leopards, a cleaner and a pair of adorned as far as wrasses go. All seem to be fine. Its just the new additions.

Which variety of wrasses do you specifically have (ie which fairies, adorned, etc)? That might help narrow down the problem. Do you have other fish in the tank or just the wrasses?

noahreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some basic parameters and details would help us try to figure out the cause of the disappearances such as water parameters, and tank size. However the first thing that jumps to my mind is that the wrasses you already have have been attacking the new fish making them stressed and eventually die.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
black tang, unicorn tang, white spine tang, goldflake angel, pair of lightning maroon clowns, Izu hogfish, moyeri leopard wrasse pair, cleaner wrasse, supermale exquisite wrasse, african flameback angel, pair of adorned wrasses, christmas wrasse,

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some basic parameters and details would help us try to figure out the cause of the disappearances such as water parameters, and tank size. However the first thing that jumps to my mind is that the wrasses you already have have been attacking the new fish making them stressed and eventually die.
Im starting to think that too. Its a 250 gallon tank, covered. No fish on the floor.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried an acclimation box to see how the residents respond to newcomers?
Thats another thing. I picked up a new one yesterday and put it in an acclimation box. I woke up to to box on the sand bed upside down. It seemed to have fallen with no sign of the new one.

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats another thing. I picked up a new one yesterday and put it in an acclimation box. I woke up to to box on the sand bed upside down. It seemed to have fallen with no sign of the new one.

Ouch, do you have an evil room mate? Phantom fish killer?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
black tang, unicorn tang, white spine tang, goldflake angel, pair of lightning maroon clowns, Izu hogfish, moyeri leopard wrasse pair, cleaner wrasse, supermale exquisite wrasse, african flameback angel, pair of adorned wrasses, christmas wrasse,

Of that list, outside of the other wrasses, I would suspect the maroon clowns and possibly the flameback angel.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back