Wrasse Jinx

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must have a wrasse Jinx. I ordered 4 from Live Aquaria

The Lubbocks had/has a spinal injury. Still alive at 3 weeks. Only laying on sand but must be eating as hey, it's still alive. Not much hope here.

The McCoskers wrasse died. No reason but it never seemed as robust or healthy. Wasn't surprised. Got refunds on both even though the lubbocks is still alive as I don't expect it to live

Decided to move the Ruby and Blue head, along with 2 clowns to the display as the qt is getting icky with dinos. Doing 4 gal water changes every 2-3 days. I just don't have good luck with water quality in a qt.

Casualty #3: While netting the fish the Ruby head jumped and hit the rim (I think). I catch him and the rest, put in bucket and Ruby is all curled up. Da**. Back into the QT with the Lubbocks to see if he recovers.

So out of 3 wrasse, only the blue head made it to the display. Really bummed. Will get more but next fish need to be cheap chromis and maybe a damsel or 2 to go with the 1 I have

20180329_202750.jpg
20180329_202925.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Bruce. Maybe some good news. Saw the ruby head moving in qt today. Decided to net him and wow, was he moving! Got him. Tried to be a slow and careful as I could. He's in the display now, went into the rocks. Maybe he was just in shock mode yesterday but he sure looked like he'd broken his spine all curled up. Hadn't wanted to add him to the display if he was going to just die in there.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear, wrasses are the drama queens of the fish world. They will fall to the floor like they're dying, then next day they are fine and eating like pigs.

Hope your ruby head recovers!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear, wrasses are the drama queens of the fish world. They will fall to the floor like they're dying, then next day they are fine and eating like pigs.

Hope your ruby head recovers!

For sure. I've been keeping wrasses for 6 years the they still make me do a double take from time to time! :p

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I had similar experiences with my last two wrasse acquisitions. Both injured themselves in QT. The first never recovered, but the second (who also had a really bad case of monogenean flatworms) only had a mild spinal injury and is still slowly recovering. He feeds well and is able to swim mostly normally. He still displays a little instability now and then but is getting along just fine in the DT.

Wrasses can be sensitive and sometimes challenging, but I love them! So much personality. Hope your ruby head is able to recover.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ruby head seems to be fine. Think I'll name him Drama.... Saw him out eating and swimming just fine. When I netted him, he acted like he was going into another "I'm dead or hurt" act. What a pill. I'm so glad as he is my fav. Haven't seen the blue head today. In hide mode though he was out last night on and off. I too love these fish and will get more down the line.

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must have a wrasse Jinx. I ordered 4 from Live Aquaria

The Lubbocks had/has a spinal injury. Still alive at 3 weeks. Only laying on sand but must be eating as hey, it's still alive. Not much hope here.

The McCoskers wrasse died. No reason but it never seemed as robust or healthy. Wasn't surprised. Got refunds on both even though the lubbocks is still alive as I don't expect it to live

Decided to move the Ruby and Blue head, along with 2 clowns to the display as the qt is getting icky with dinos. Doing 4 gal water changes every 2-3 days. I just don't have good luck with water quality in a qt.

Casualty #3: While netting the fish the Ruby head jumped and hit the rim (I think). I catch him and the rest, put in bucket and Ruby is all curled up. Da**. Back into the QT with the Lubbocks to see if he recovers.

So out of 3 wrasse, only the blue head made it to the display. Really bummed. Will get more but next fish need to be cheap chromis and maybe a damsel or 2 to go with the 1 I have

20180329_202750.jpg
20180329_202925.jpg
So sorry Susan. That's a bummer.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks @mmw64 I guess losing 2 out of 6 fish isn't bad. I plan on a 50% loss on fish and corals. At least I got refunds on the 2 wrasse from LA. I have to say that sure seems the way to go as none of the LFS's in my area will give a guarentee to your home!

Saw both the Ruby and Blue head eating today so encouraged. The 2 clowns just hanging in a corner, not eating. Will cut power heads and put food there--they are in the one area in the entire tank that gets little to no flow so will have to fix that. It is nice to have more fish in the 125. It looked sad with just 2

swensos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had two lubbocks with spinal injuries. I have one in QT currently who has been lying on his side for two days after swimming like his tail was made of lead. I’m not hopeful for him.

Wrasses are sensitive, so I think your ratio of 4 out of 6 is pretty good so far.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@swensos exactly what mine did. If they are so sensitive, I suspect my next batch might just go directly into the display. I did that with my last batch of anthias. I just don't have good luck with qt'ing fish yet. With the wrasses, 4 total, saved 2, lost 2 so 50%. The other 2 fish were clowns

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 20.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back