Wrasse Laying on Rock

raylinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a Red Lined Wrasse in my tank for 10 days that has been active and healthy. This evening I cleaned the glass of lots of cyano with a scraper on a pole and added some pimafix for another fish. I just noticed the wrasse is sitting motionless (except for quick breathing) on a rock. I just fed the tank and he is still not moving.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

juanmanuelsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be anything... is it a new tank? Could be an ammonia spike. Specially since you mention cyanno, could be the tank its not properly cycled?

ppatches24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to the list of possibilities, could it be stress? Could it be the fact it was caught with cyanide and now two weeks later its internal parts are shutting down? Seems fishy. I dont have high hope and i'm not sure what you should do.

Like [B]juanmanuelsanchez[/B] is it properly cycled? I know you have another fish but maybe its more hardy than the wrasse :(

OP
OP
raylinds

raylinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to the list of possibilities, could it be stress? Could it be the fact it was caught with cyanide and now two weeks later its internal parts are shutting down? Seems fishy. I dont have high hope and i'm not sure what you should do.

Like [B]juanmanuelsanchez[/B] is it properly cycled? I know you have another fish but maybe its more hardy than the wrasse :(

Thanks, Tank cycled with 0 ammonia and nitrites for weeks before adding fish.

It now moved but is hiding in a cave. Maybe stress because of all of the maintenance activity in the tank?

OP
OP
raylinds

raylinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am extremely happy to report that the wrasse is back to its old active self this morning. Looks like I have a drama queen on my hands. I will try to find a less invasive way to clean the glass. Maybe I'll try the magnets, so I don't need to keep reaching into the aquarium.

OP
OP
raylinds

raylinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, the saga continues. A few hours after reporting the wrasse was back to normal I dosed Pimafix for the dottyback. Right after that, both fish disappeared and I have not seen them since (about 24 hours). I only dosed Pimafix because it said "Safe for even the most delicate fish". I found a source online that said Pimafix can lower oxygen levels by feeding certain bacteria, so I put an airstone into the tank.

Both yesterday and today I checked all important parameters and all good:
Ammonia and Nitrites 0 (two sources of ammonia test- API and Seneye). Nitrates have been high at 40ppm, but have not changed and I have been dosing vodka. Phosphates .01. Alkalinity 9.8. pH dipped to 7.82 overnight, but is back up to 8.01 (maybe from vodka?). I've ordered a Red Sea Nitrate test as API test hasn't changed after a week of dosing vodka.

This morning I put a bag with activated charcoal into sump and started water changes- about 10% so far but continuing.

I hold little hope that they are still alive and am monitoring ammonia closely. Should I start pulling the rocks apart to look for them or wait a little longer?

Any other suggestions?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't move the rocks, if they died, the CUC/worms will take care of them quickly.

I don't see any reason to try and dose vodka to lower Nitrate if your PO4 is only 0.01. It needs both in order to work and driving PO4 to zero is bad for corals and could lead to dino which is a bigger problem.

Vodka can also lower oxygen FYI so guessing doing both was too much. Do you have a skimmer? Carbon dosing should also have a skimmer to remove the excess bacteria.

Lots of 'quick fixes' being attempted in a young tank can lead to problems.

OP
OP
raylinds

raylinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't move the rocks, if they died, the CUC/worms will take care of them quickly.

I don't see any reason to try and dose vodka to lower Nitrate if your PO4 is only 0.01. It needs both in order to work and driving PO4 to zero is bad for corals and could lead to dino which is a bigger problem.

Vodka can also lower oxygen FYI so guessing doing both was too much. Do you have a skimmer? Carbon dosing should also have a skimmer to remove the excess bacteria.

Lots of 'quick fixes' being attempted in a young tank can lead to problems.
Thanks, this is a very helpful post. I did decide to stop dosing vodka today and just kind of go back to basics and keep parameters stable.

Back