Wrasse not looking good

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve had this Mccoskers wrasse for over a month. It has been looking and acting great. Eats mysis and flakes daily.

yesterday it was being shyer than usual, but thought it was just from me working in the tank on plumbing. Today it has been hiding some. Just came back and it was swimming in a corner, breathing heavy, and has a striped appearance when not in direct light. It has perched on a rock, and occasionally is starting to turn belly up, but corrects itself.

please help! I have almost all kinds of meds on hand.

378A16B8-CD96-4C39-A850-503506F75B01.jpeg E6D43623-D934-4527-89BD-373D01FBA1FC.jpeg 74965E9C-700E-4A56-A36F-8DF5E2FB5CA4.jpeg

OP
OP
slogan315

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also the white dot in the first picture is just reflection off a scale. No visible dots or lesions in person.

OP
OP
slogan315

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ill go whiter, but visually he looks normal in the light. Also I took these pics around my peak. My peak is pretty white. He’s in the shadows which may give the impression of more blue. He’s now deeper in the rock work.

I did not. Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
slogan315

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think it could be internal parasites. The wrasse went through a month of copper and a prazi treatment at the LFS, but I haven’t felt confident in the results. The wrasse poop has been white pellets. Looks like a small Q-tip end. No stringing. But, my clowns did have some stringing about a week after adding the wrasse. They stopped showing signs of stringy poop by the time my meds came in a few weeks ago. So I’m set up, but have not treated anyone for parasites.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’ve had this Mccoskers wrasse for over a month. It has been looking and acting great. Eats mysis and flakes daily.

yesterday it was being shyer than usual, but thought it was just from me working in the tank on plumbing. Today it has been hiding some. Just came back and it was swimming in a corner, breathing heavy, and has a striped appearance when not in direct light. It has perched on a rock, and occasionally is starting to turn belly up, but corrects itself.

please help! I have almost all kinds of meds on hand.

378A16B8-CD96-4C39-A850-503506F75B01.jpeg E6D43623-D934-4527-89BD-373D01FBA1FC.jpeg 74965E9C-700E-4A56-A36F-8DF5E2FB5CA4.jpeg
Will need better pics and under white lighting.
Any Aggression from tank mates?
Any unusual or lethargic behavior,, , , , scratching, twitching, darting ?

OP
OP
slogan315

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Will need better pics and under white lighting.
Any Aggression from tank mates?
Any unusual or lethargic behavior,, , , , scratching, twitching, darting ?
those pics are the best we can do. They were under fairly white lighting. They’re hard to tell because he’s favoring shadows. Normally he doesn’t hide from me, but is now.

no aggression. Just 2 clowns and him in a 60g. He’s the boss.

lethargic behavior. None of the others mentioned

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
those pics are the best we can do. They were under fairly white lighting. They’re hard to tell because he’s favoring shadows. Normally he doesn’t hide from me, but is now.

no aggression. Just 2 clowns and him in a 60g. He’s the boss.

lethargic behavior. None of the others mentioned
I understand pics can be hard to get.
Assure ammonia-ph-salinity and temp have not become elevated
Also if youre not sure if fish is being intimidated by others,
set your cell phone on video mode for about 40 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a bully at feeding time.
Review the video and see who it may be if there is one

OP
OP
slogan315

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went back to change lights and he was out of his hiding spot. Started flashing and behaving more normal. Took this video. Then saw a stringy poop flow by. He must have passed something. Mp40 made quick work of it before I could get a picture.

another possibility, high temp. I just added a carbon reactor off a newly created manifold on the return pump. With it running, there’s less water getting to the DT naturally, so there’s less heated water compensating for cooling. the tank was measuring about half a degree low, and the corals were letting me know. So I turned off the reactor, and left my return pump full blast. It could have raised the tank temp too quickly and had an over correction by a degree or so. Turned the return down to normal while typing the first message. 30 minutes later, fish is back to normal.

still think I should try to address the possible internal parasites. But may try to do something less invasive first like metro+focus in food rather than catch the fish and put them through qt. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    55.6 MB
OP
OP
slogan315

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the wrasse looked striped, was swimming in a corner, and starting to literally roll “belly up”. 30 minutes later, fine. Why do we do this to ourselves….

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I went back to change lights and he was out of his hiding spot. Started flashing and behaving more normal. Took this video. Then saw a stringy poop flow by. He must have passed something. Mp40 made quick work of it before I could get a picture.

another possibility, high temp. I just added a carbon reactor off a newly created manifold on the return pump. With it running, there’s less water getting to the DT naturally, so there’s less heated water compensating for cooling. the tank was measuring about half a degree low, and the corals were letting me know. So I turned off the reactor, and left my return pump full blast. It could have raised the tank temp too quickly and had an over correction by a degree or so. Turned the return down to normal while typing the first message. 30 minutes later, fish is back to normal.

still think I should try to address the possible internal parasites. But may try to do something less invasive first like metro+focus in food rather than catch the fish and put them through qt. What do you guys think?
Fish looks normal and acting like a wrasse. I did see brown clown approaching it and he moved away from clown.
To go off subject- You have an abundance of algae and tells me your tank may be at or near a window and also your nitrate and phos may be elevated. A sea Hare would have a blast in this tank.
What cleaner snails do you currently have?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, the video of the fish looks pretty good to me as well. If it feeds well, I think crisis averted.
Jay

OP
OP
slogan315

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fish looks normal and acting like a wrasse. I did see brown clown approaching it and he moved away from clown.
To go off subject- You have an abundance of algae and tells me your tank may be at or near a window and also your nitrate and phos may be elevated. A sea Hare would have a blast in this tank.
What cleaner snails do you currently have?
Yea the algae and green slime Cyano are my main problems right now. Not near a window and actually having to dose N/P to have them readable on the hannas. Bought the setup used and kept it running. Rescapped and the algae really set in. I think I was overly cautious with not going too heavy on the cuc at first, and it got out of control before I adapted. Then Cyano became an issue and possibly dinos. Been trying to not over react. I got some chemi clean and fluconazole. Was scared to add those until I had my manifold/carbon reactor up. With those now installed as of yesterday, chemicals become an option. But going to try more natural solutions for now.

Nuisance algae is ugly and steals nutrients, but I’m more worried about what will replace it if I go to chemical solutions. So dosing N/P keeps my corals happy. Added pods to kickstart that population. Dosing microbater to increase bacteria. Though I probably need to be doing a more targeted algae defense bacteria regimen like dr. Tim’s. And I’ve got a reef cleaners package arriving next week.

CUC:
6 trochus, 10 hermits, tuxedo urchin, my hand

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yea the algae and green slime Cyano are my main problems right now. Not near a window and actually having to dose N/P to have them readable on the hannas. Bought the setup used and kept it running. Rescapped and the algae really set in. I think I was overly cautious with not going too heavy on the cuc at first, and it got out of control before I adapted. Then Cyano became an issue and possibly dinos. Been trying to not over react. I got some chemi clean and fluconazole. Was scared to add those until I had my manifold/carbon reactor up. With those now installed as of yesterday, chemicals become an option. But going to try more natural solutions for now.

Nuisance algae is ugly and steals nutrients, but I’m more worried about what will replace it if I go to chemical solutions. So dosing N/P keeps my corals happy. Added pods to kickstart that population. Dosing microbater to increase bacteria. Though I probably need to be doing a more targeted algae defense bacteria regimen like dr. Tim’s. And I’ve got a reef cleaners package arriving next week.

CUC:
6 trochus, 10 hermits, tuxedo urchin, my hand
You can blow cyano loose and net or siphon loose matter.
Some snails are : Cerith, astrea, turbo grazer, trochus and a Dolabella sea hare

OP
OP
slogan315

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can blow cyano loose and net or siphon loose matter.
Some snails are : Cerith, astrea, turbo grazer, trochus and a Dolabella sea hare
Yea got a maxi jet to blow off the rocks. Tank looked like it got hit by a hurricane but the Cyano did clear. Was hoping since I’m dosing nutrients it wouldn’t come back. I was wrong. The reef cleaners package I got has a lot of those. Not sure I’m ready for any cucumbers yet, but that might be a next step for CUC if this isn’t cutting it.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yea got a maxi jet to blow off the rocks. Tank looked like it got hit by a hurricane but the Cyano did clear. Was hoping since I’m dosing nutrients it wouldn’t come back. I was wrong. The reef cleaners package I got has a lot of those. Not sure I’m ready for any cucumbers yet, but that might be a next step for CUC if this isn’t cutting it.
Not cucumbers but sea hare CUC= Clean Up Crew

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 29 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 44 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back