Wrasse QT concerns

Fenzinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a leopard wrasse, black cap, and scopas tang in a 20L.

I believe I'm having ammonia issues which recently caused my fish to stop eating.

Wrasse is starting to become lazy and swimming slowly.

Upon intro on Sunday I placed a small container of "live sand" from a new bag which I rinsed out before placing in the tank.

I think the sand is causing the ammonia issues. I'm feeding very small amounts to the tank. All fish were eating three days ago. Today they are not.

Ammonia checks out with API at .5ppm but I've used a whole cap of prime this morning to bind the ammonia. Tank also had been dosed with CP.

Can I remove the sand from the tank for him to be ok? What's my move? Tank has 4 elbows in it. It's hospital style.

Leopard wrasse has developed frayed fins.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the sand is causing the ammonia issues. I would leave it in there. I would never advise using prime or any ammonia reducer with any medication. period. There can be bad reactions between the two, and while some people report not having those problems, it's still a risk. Frequent water changes are in order here.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! Is there a powerfilter on this tank? Did you add any bacteria to the filter before adding the fish? Either with a seeded sponge or a bottled bacteria product?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. powerhead. Bubbler. Heater only.

That would be the problem then. You'll want something in there to help break down the ammonia.... unless you're planning on doing TTM that is. If this is a 30 day QT then you'll need a powerfilter of some sort that is seeded with bacteria to help with the ammonia or else you will be plagued by it the whole time and likely lose a few fish.

OP
OP
F

Fenzinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely ammonia. Even .25 can cause damage. Water changes will be your only option. You'll probly have to do it every other day.

I was figuring as much. Leave the sand then? Planning 5 gal change tonight and then another in the AM.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2 cents: I've tried adding sand from an established DT to QT, and it just doesn't work out. The sand smells bad and that causes the QT to have an odor. Not sure if you are having the same issue using "live sand" from a bag. I only use dry sand nowadays.

OP
OP
F

Fenzinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But did it cause lack of appetite?

Wrasse also seems to have developed a red spot on his underside.

eleet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ammonia will cause appetite loss. He needs sand to burrow in. Red spot I do t want to guess without pics.

OP
OP
F

Fenzinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I did another water change this morning of 5 gallons. Tang and black cap appear to have eaten but wrasse was buried.

I also placed a handful of my siporax media in the QT for biofilter. It's been in my sump for about 7 months and I heavily feed my tank.

Ammonia seems to have read between .5-.25 this morning. I'll be doing another tonight if I can.

I can't get a good photo of the wrasse because he shies away from me when I tried to take a photo. I can't tell if it's his body accents or damage but it doesn't look normal.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are any chemicals (like copper) in the water? Because that will throw off your ammonia reading, causing a false positive.

OP
OP
F

Fenzinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the water changes should have rumored a good percentage of the CP used and a capful of prime is also in the water prior to the two 30% water changes. I'm assuming either of those are the culprit.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't an ammonia binder such as Prime cause issues while using CP? Or is that more of a concern with copper?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is CP referring to? Why does the copper plus prime make water toxic? I would think that the prime would just neutralize it somewhat if anything?

CP = Chloroquine phosphate: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/chloroquine-phosphate.192309/

A water conditioner, such as Prime, has the potential to change Cupramine (for example) from the safe Cu2+ form to a very toxic Cu+ form. This information comes directly from Seachem Tech Support, who makes both Prime & Cupramine. This negative interaction doesn't seem to be as severe with chelated copper (ex. Coppersafe), but I still wouldn't chance it. o_O

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back