Wrasse QT concerns

immafishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CP = Chloroquine phosphate: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/chloroquine-phosphate.192309/

A water conditioner, such as Prime, has the potential to change Cupramine (for example) from the safe Cu2+ form to a very toxic Cu+ form. This information comes directly from Seachem Tech Support, who makes both Prime & Cupramine. This negative interaction doesn't seem to be as severe with chelated copper (ex. Coppersafe), but I still wouldn't chance it. o_O

Hmmm, ok gotcha. I've never been a fan of cupramine, but I've been using coppersafe and prime in conjunction for a number of years which is why I was confused. (Doesn't seem to have any negative affects on sensitive fish, IME. Even used it on Macropharyngodon and acanthuridae. Everyone seems to be fine even after long term exposure (30 days)).

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I did another water change this morning of 5 gallons. Tang and black cap appear to have eaten but wrasse was buried.

I also placed a handful of my siporax media in the QT for biofilter. It's been in my sump for about 7 months and I heavily feed my tank.

Ammonia seems to have read between .5-.25 this morning. I'll be doing another tonight if I can.

I can't get a good photo of the wrasse because he shies away from me when I tried to take a photo. I can't tell if it's his body accents or damage but it doesn't look normal.

You should do a 90% water change asap to bring those levels down. My experience with ammonia and QT medications is that it kills fish Fast!! Also, what you can and should dose daily would be seachem's Stability. It will help colonize the filter media faster, namely the bacteria that dies due to the copper in the water.

OP
OP
F

Fenzinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should do a 90% water change asap to bring those levels down. My experience with ammonia and QT medications is that it kills fish Fast!! Also, what you can and should dose daily would be seachem's Stability. It will help colonize the filter media faster, namely the bacteria that dies due to the copper in the water.

There's been 4 30% changes done and I also put a handful of my siporax media in thenQT for filter

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, doing a chain of water changes to reduce any pollutant is much less efficient than doing one large water change.

At the end of 4 5 gallon water changes and starting at 0,5 ammonia you would still have 0,158 ammonia. And this not considering the gradual build up over time.

If you do a 90% water change on day one you immediately bring the level down to 0,05, which is much more acceptable. And you only use 18 gallons instead of 20.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish i could like this last post more than once. Get that ammonia gone before it's too late. Also, in the future try to qt less fish together. One tang by itself. Chances are the other 2 fish here were ich free and you may have exposed them to it by adding the tang with them. But anyhow the ammonia is your enemy right now.

With these 3 I'd highly suggest ttm. New cup of new sand each transfer for the wrasse. It would immediately solve your ammonia problem. Just make sure salinity is match each transfer.

OP
OP
F

Fenzinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish i could like this last post more than once. Get that ammonia gone before it's too late. Also, in the future try to qt less fish together. One tang by itself. Chances are the other 2 fish here were ich free and you may have exposed them to it by adding the tang with them. But anyhow the ammonia is your enemy right now.

With these 3 I'd highly suggest ttm. New cup of new sand each transfer for the wrasse. It would immediately solve your ammonia problem. Just make sure salinity is match each transfer.

Chloroquine phosphate is going to be used for Ich. I'm aware of the issues introducing the tang and the disease he could bring in.

The ammonia issue started the day the tang was introduced. Feeding was not increased. This leads me to believe the issue existed before.

I would also believe that the stress of poor water quality should have lead to an ich out break in the tank should it have existed.

Either way, I'm starting over on my CP dosing this evening.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chloroquine phosphate is going to be used for Ich. I'm aware of the issues introducing the tang and the disease he could bring in.

The ammonia issue started the day the tang was introduced. Feeding was not increased. This leads me to believe the issue existed before.

I would also believe that the stress of poor water quality should have lead to an ich out break in the tank should it have existed.

Either way, I'm starting over on my CP dosing this evening.
Agreed, that's why i said in the future. That's my suggestion for next time. :)

Also depending on price and how much you have to dose, you could always use ttm and dose cp at each transfer. 12 days and done.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 160 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back