wrasse with pistol shrimp! will it work ?? need advice

  • Thread starter Thread starter Shesame
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Shesame

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 26, 2020
Messages
40
Reaction score
11
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i had a yellow watchman goby and a pistol shrimp in my 13 gal tank. I tought it was a good idea but they are messing up de sand so bad that the tank is always cloudy and i have coral at the buttom and he is always barying them.

So i thougt why not put them in my 80 gal thank. BUT, I have a melanurus wrasse in this thank and i heard they can eat shrimp.

Is it safe to put those 2 in the 80 gall tank ?

Thanks
 
I'm not very experienced in the hobby,
But I have just added a pistol shrimp to the tank and my melanurus wrasse made it into a snak the shrimp was only very small though so not sure if it would of don't it if the shrimp was full size
 
my shrimp is maybe 2 inches
 
Mine was about half an inch at best
 
Saying that I do have 2 peppermint shrimp that are in the tank and they are ok but don't really come out very often
 
IMO You should be good if its that big. Ive had 3 in different tanks now and had peppermints with all of them and where i get my peppies theyre usually pretty small but it can be hard to say sometimes with stuff like this in this hobby. Id go for it
 
thanks guys and I think the goby will protect him (at least try). I think I will give it a try and watch them
 
I have a 6" H. melasmapomas, an Anampses chrysocephalus and a Potter's leopard wrasse with a pistol shimp, two blood shrimp, two cleaner shrimp and a small yellow coral banded shrimp without any issues at all. All the above have been in the tank for 2+ years except for the tamarin wrasse which is a new addition about a month ago.
 
I know this is an old thread but I referenced it yesterday when considering buying a pistol shrimp to put in my 120. I also have a six line and Melanarus wrasse and had the same question.
Well, the answer in my case was an emphatic “no”. They are not compatible. Less than 24 hours after putting him in the tank, my tiger pistol shrimp became expensive wrasse food. He didn’t even have a chance to find my watchman goby.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new