Wrasse with tattered fins…treatment ideas?

gunflintcamper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 2-3 weeks ago our McKoskers wrasse had tattered fins…sort of cloudy eyes and white lips. Not all symptoms appearing at once. No one is bullying him, he was eating fine and it seemed like a scrape here and there. But on Thursday he looked worse all over, and he was super easy to catch so I put him in our hospital tank where I just started healing up a beat up Watchman Goby from another tank. I’m familiar with ich and velvet and neither fit the wrasse’s symptoms. We know we have ich in the system, but are practicing management, no longer peroxide dosing though. It’s been months since we’ve seen a white dot. I’m also pretty confident that it’s not fin rot…based on the randomness of it. One fin was bad, and then the tail, etc.

Neither were visibly eating so I treated the water with Kanaplex and Metroplex on Friday. The wrasse did not look better…so did a freshwater dip to confirm no flukes. Did 1/2 water change yesterday and treated the water with the antibiotics again. (The Watchman’s wounds do look better.)

This morning there is no change, except his eyes are definitely clearer. He’s just chilling. I’ve tried all his fave foods and tried the meds in freezedried mysis with selcon and garlic and if he eats any I’m not seeing it.

What should I do next? I’ve debated a Rally bath? Methalyne Blue bath? Switch to Neoplex? I have been unable to source Furan-2.

I’m getting overwhelmed with reading all the options.

This is the best shot I can get…he doesn’t swim much.

DE250F94-422E-4B8E-8C50-53242573C837.jpeg

That video link might work.

Attachments

• IMG_0329.MOV
    31.6 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This fish is in distress and looks like a victim of aggression and bitten up/ Looks like something clownfish would do.
What fish are in with it? You will have to find the aggressor and separate or remove it.

OP
OP
gunflintcamper

gunflintcamper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish is in distress and looks like a victim of aggression and bitten up/ Looks like something clownfish would do.
What fish are in with it? You will have to find the aggressor and separate or remove it.
It’s 100% not being picked on. All the fish in that tank have been together for about 6 months. And we watch them often. The clowns have been eating snail eggs and are oblivious to everyone else.

Ive seen a wrasse (or other fish) get picked on and they don’t swim normally with the others. This guy was acting fairly normal besides being a little slower when I pulled him out. He’s been upset about this little tank since he went in last week.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back