Wrasse with the spins

94Roarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a fairy wrasse today that seems to be brain dead.
It just swims in tight circles all day and with it's body oriented in any direction.
What would this be a symptom for?
(I didn't pay anything for it)
Another note, if it is cyanide poisoned, would feeding it to one of my preds then pass on the poisoning?
Aaand could I get an I.D. on the species also?
2c12fc1efc71b8a41d9fce3aeaaa7902.jpg
062ff6475d4406b9adb220250b3c4c98.jpg

Treasure Coast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a wrasse that it happened to. It hung on for about a week or so. It was still trying to eat etc, but never recovered. Not sure how it happened, the only thing I could think of was it maybe rammed into the glass or a rock when being chased?

OP
OP
94Roarge

94Roarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw :/ did it fade out or did you help it get to fishy paradise?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say what's wrong with it, but the spinal injury is possible for sure. If that's the case he either gets better or doesn't. The MB bath is a good idea and if you can get him eating it's even better.

OP
OP
94Roarge

94Roarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say what's wrong with it, but the spinal injury is possible for sure. If that's the case he either gets better or doesn't. The MB bath is a good idea and if you can get him eating it's even better.
It has been relatively active; though very derpy. I have it in a box at the moment, so it should be safe.
Do you have any idea on the "passing on" of potential cyanide poisoning? Though I think it is an Aussie caught, but I can't remember which order it came in on.

OP
OP
94Roarge

94Roarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't chance it...

Cyanide isn't the only thing it could pass on to your predatory fish. A nervous-system parasite could also be involved, and some of those guys get from one fish to another that way.

~Bruce
That is something new to me! Thanks again :) I'll see how it goes in the mean time.
Could you tell me some stuff about these parasites? I would love to learn about them.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of them produce an effect called "whirling disease", which has been encountered in North America - not certain about Australia.

Found this account as well, obviously about a North American west-coast critter:
The fluke Euhaplorchis californiensis begins its life in an ocean-dwelling horn snail, where it produces larvae that then seek their next host, a killifish. (See "The Puppet Master's Medicine Chest.")

Once it finds a fish, the parasite latches on to its gills and makes its way to the brain. But this isn't its final stop.

The fluke needs to get inside the gut of a water bird in order to reproduce. So inside the killifish's brain, the fluke releases chemicals that cause the fish to shimmy, jerk, and jump.

Jenny Shaw, then at the University of California, Santa Barbara, and colleagues found that the parasite decreases serotonin and increases dopamine levels in the fish's brain. The switch in this brain chemistry stimulates the fish to swim and behave more aggressively.

These moves attract the attention of birds, which may eat the fish—and the flukes. The flukes mate, and their eggs are released back into the water in the bird's droppings to be eaten by horn snails and start the cycle anew.

All of which, I'm sure, doesn't begin to scrape the surface.

~Bruce

OP
OP
94Roarge

94Roarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It didn't make it through the day. As much as I hate it, if another one comes up I will see if it can be fixed :)

OP
OP
94Roarge

94Roarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can't all make it unfortunately, but that's life.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back