Quadriplegic wrasse?? is this even possible!?!?!HELP

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this morning i discovered my lightning wrasse swimming around my 6 foot tank with a rather 'robotic' swim style. i would describe him as one of those wind up robotic robo fish hahah. i was feeding my greedy zebra moray eel and wasn't ready for my cleaner wrasse to give him a pick and got a bit scared, well a lose wock moved and must have gotten my wrasse. anywhere up from his 'waist' he struggles to move i guess. he swims... but with effort. Any help and ideas of how to help him heal or thoughts would be great, thanks -photo's off google
DSC04224.JPG
:)

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone have any ideas or if he will make it??

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy. So, the only thing I can think of is a methyline Blue dip. I'm not sure if he will make it, but if that doesn't work and he's still eating, then add vitamins like Selcon or Vitachem to his diet and watch for red marks or "bruising". That would indicate internal injuries or infection and there's not a whole lot we can do except treat with antibiotics like Kanaplex or Furan2

Methylene Blue: Treats ammonia burn, cuts, injuries. Will possibly detoxify a fish that has been exposed to cyanide poisoning.

How To Treat - Comes in both liquid and powder form, sometimes mixed in with another medication. So, follow the directions on the label. Generally used as a 30 minute bath/dip at double dose, but you can also dose it directly into a quarantine tank. Aerate heavily. You can combine M Blue with nitrofurazone (active ingredient found in Furan-2) if needing to treat for a bacterial infection. In fact, Nitrofuracin Green Powder contains both medications and is great for treating open wounds or sores.

Malachite Green
is sometimes used in lieu of M Blue, but it is considered “harsher” on fish than Methylene Blue.

Pros - Highly effective.

Cons/Side Effects - Depletes oxygen from the water.

More info on Methylene Blue: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication3.html#methylene_blue

More info on Malachite Green: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication3.html#malachite_green

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this morning i discovered my lightning wrasse swimming around my 6 foot tank with a rather 'robotic' swim style. i would describe him as one of those wind up robotic robo fish hahah. i was feeding my greedy zebra moray eel and wasn't ready for my cleaner wrasse to give him a pick and got a bit scared, well a lose wock moved and must have gotten my wrasse. anywhere up from his 'waist' he struggles to move i guess. he swims... but with effort. Any help and ideas of how to help him heal or thoughts would be great, thanks -photo's off google
DSC04224.JPG
:)
Such a beautiful fish, I hope he makes it!

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy. So, the only thing I can think of is a methyline Blue dip. I'm not sure if he will make it, but if that doesn't work and he's still eating, then add vitamins like Selcon or Vitachem to his diet and watch for red marks or "bruising". That would indicate internal injuries or infection and there's not a whole lot we can do except treat with antibiotics like Kanaplex or Furan2

Methylene Blue: Treats ammonia burn, cuts, injuries. Will possibly detoxify a fish that has been exposed to cyanide poisoning.

How To Treat - Comes in both liquid and powder form, sometimes mixed in with another medication. So, follow the directions on the label. Generally used as a 30 minute bath/dip at double dose, but you can also dose it directly into a quarantine tank. Aerate heavily. You can combine M Blue with nitrofurazone (active ingredient found in Furan-2) if needing to treat for a bacterial infection. In fact, Nitrofuracin Green Powder contains both medications and is great for treating open wounds or sores.

Malachite Green
is sometimes used in lieu of M Blue, but it is considered “harsher” on fish than Methylene Blue.

Pros - Highly effective.

Cons/Side Effects - Depletes oxygen from the water.

More info on Methylene Blue: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication3.html#methylene_blue

More info on Malachite Green: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication3.html#malachite_green
Thanks alot! :) he is eating and swimming but some of my other fish seem to have noticed his behaviour.... he is such a fast little bugger ziping around.... all of my fish and eels are on top shelf quality food with vitamins and spirulina, new life spectrum pellets and ocean nutrition along with fresh and frozen.... hope this info helps him recover...thanks :)

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a beautiful fish, I hope he makes it!
photo off google- he is so fast i cant get a shot of him ahaha, yep he is such a character and has stunning colours and his head even goes blue when its feeding time! hahaha thanks

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks alot! :) he is eating and swimming but some of my other fish seem to have noticed his behaviour.... he is such a fast little bugger ziping around.... all of my fish and eels are on top shelf quality food with vitamins and spirulina, new life spectrum pellets and ocean nutrition along with fresh and frozen.... hope this info helps him recover...thanks :)

Well, that certainly sets him up for success. Keep us posted on his progress. Good luck!

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that certainly sets him up for success. Keep us posted on his progress. Good luck!
when i 'attempted' to catch him for QT he doesn't seem very energetic, i could just scoop him up if it wasn't for the rock work... i will try again in a moment. i noticed a few cuts on his head maybe its a head injury and the nerves that control his swimming are damaged... :( do you think he is better in a comfortable environment where he is happy and eating rather than risking him not eating and adjusting to QT??

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you think he is better in a comfortable environment where he is happy and eating rather than risking him not eating and adjusting to QT??

That depends on if he needs treatment. To do the MB dip you would simply place him in a bucket of tank water with an air stone and the med. You could put him in QT after that or back in the display. If the cuts don't heal on their own, or if there is internal damage, then that may need medication that shouldn't be put in your display.

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That depends on if he needs treatment. To do the MB dip you would simply place him in a bucket of tank water with an air stone and the med. You could put him in QT after that or back in the display. If the cuts don't heal on their own, or if there is internal damage, then that may need medication that shouldn't be put in your display.
no cuts deep enough, more like scratches... i'll see if he improves, he is smashing food so....thats a good sign

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically, you need 4 limbs (arms and legs or 4 legs) to be quadriplegic....

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spinal injuries are fairly common with wrasses. It can happen if they get scared or excited, and jump or dart and hit a hard surface. Sometimes they heal, sometimes they don't, not much you can do except keep them fed.

If it is a spinal injury it will not use it's tail to swim and when it slows down it's tail will drop. If that is not the case then it is not a pinal injury.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pretty wild! Hope he pulls through.

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spinal injuries are fairly common with wrasses. It can happen if they get scared or excited, and jump or dart and hit a hard surface. Sometimes they heal, sometimes they don't, not much you can do except keep them fed.

If it is a spinal injury it will not use it's tail to swim and when it slows down it's tail will drop. If that is not the case then it is not a pinal injury.
good news... firstly yes his tail would drop and lower and would swim like a wind up robo fish... been i QT but failed to eat so he went back into DT overnight and possibly the day before he has healed and now i can say he has made a full recovery ! :) yayayaya i would be heart broken if he passed... thanks for the info!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 37.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back