Wrasse with Uronema?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is my yellow and purple wrasse the last of three wrasses I had in QT, the first was euthanized after a spinal injury from jumping. The second a Ruby Head Fairy died from an unknown infection or injury (see pics). This morning my last of three came out from under the sand with this spot. I’m sure now the Ruby Head has Uronema and passed to this one. I need to know what the safest most aggressive treatment for Uronema is and if I could ever comfortably place him in my DT.
THANK GOD FOR QT!!!

What are my realistic chances of beating this and him eventually getting to the DT?

I have Metro, Hikari Prazi, Furan 2, Focus, Copper Power, General Cure, Kordon Methylene Blue on hand.

@Humblefish @4FordFamily @HotRocks

742D008B-B63F-4D7B-A4DF-14175152E12C.jpeg

13FEAB12-3177-4AC2-B832-BEB7EBC609E8.jpeg

DFA3FC1C-2956-4AED-8D37-4AF7CD0A07D2.jpeg

Last edited:

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed with metro/focus, and dose metro to the water column. You could also dose furan-2 in case it is actually *bacterial* rather than Uronema. It definitely very well could be uronema, but since it’s a little less common in wrasses I think it’d be good to cover all your bases. Gram-negative bacterial infections present similarly.

If you have acriflavine, a 90-minute bath might be helpful in both cases.

OP
OP
Frtdrmrose7

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed with metro/focus, and dose metro to the water column. You could also dose furan-2 in case it is actually *bacterial* rather than Uronema. It definitely very well could be uronema, but since it’s a little less common in wrasses I think it’d be good to cover all your bases. Gram-negative bacterial infections present similarly.

I’ve been feeding GC laced food for the last week already but the red spot really concerns me

I just dosed Metro at the recommended dosage of one level scoop per 10G

Last edited:

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just a hunch, but I think it’s very possible that it’s actually bacterial vs. Uronema...but I’ll wait for more eyes on it to see what the others think.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree with this. Certainly looks like uronema is possible based on the photos :(

Unfortunately you'll need to treat yesterday to get through it if it's uronema, it moves FAST. Metro and feeding metro should kill the external and internal uronema.

OP
OP
Frtdrmrose7

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this. Certainly looks like uronema is possible based on the photos :(

Unfortunately you'll need to treat yesterday to get through it if it's uronema, it moves FAST. Metro and feeding metro should kill the external and internal uronema.

Is the metro the best course of action? Is the recommended dosage enough?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the metro the best course of action? Is the recommended dosage enough?

IMO yes. Make sure oxygen exchange is overkill.

2 full measures per 10 gallons.

Every 48 hours for 10 days

OP
OP
Frtdrmrose7

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO yes. Make sure oxygen exchange is overkill.

2 full measures per 10 gallons.

Every 48 hours for 10 days

2 measures? The label says 1 scoop. I have an airstone and a hydor breaking the water

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Frtdrmrose7

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The double dose is doing something because he is flashing, twitching, etc. hopefully he’ll get through this. On a positive note he still wants to eat, I’m going feed him multiple times a day.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The double dose is doing something because he is flashing, twitching, etc. hopefully he’ll get through this. On a positive note he still wants to eat, I’m going feed him multiple times a day.
Make sure it’s eating the general cure as well. It has to be treated internally, generally. So feed as much as it’ll eat if medicated food. Don’t let it go uneaten though in the tank for obvious reasons.

OP
OP
Frtdrmrose7

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure it’s eating the general cure as well. It has to be treated internally, generally. So feed as much as it’ll eat if medicated food. Don’t let it go uneaten though in the tank for obvious reasons.

Yes he is still on medicated food, I have feeding twice daily since the start and had thought maybe a third but I didn’t consider the medication aspect. I only feed as he eats it and I use a net to remove detritus.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes he is still on medicated food, I have feeding twice daily since the start and had thought maybe a third but I didn’t consider the medication aspect. I only feed as he eats it and I use a net to remove detritus.
I’d just observe what he will eat and feed smaller amounts more frequently. The net may stress and lead him to stop eating faster.

OP
OP
Frtdrmrose7

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d just observe what he will eat and feed smaller amounts more frequently. The net may stress and lead him to stop eating faster.

I’m not going to say we’ve turned a corner yet but as of this morning the red blotch is not as bright, his coloring is brightening up again,his breathing is back to normal, and he’s still eating like a pig. I’m hoping to have this potential Uronema on its heels. We will see how the day progresses.

Tomorrow at the 48 hr mark for the first double dose of metro should I do a large WC to reduce the parasitic count in the tank? I plan on doing a FW dip today to give him some more relief (good idea or not?)

Last edited:

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not going to say we’ve turned a corner yet but as of this morning the red blotch is not as bright, his coloring is brightening up again,his breathing is back to normal, and he’s still eating like a pig. I’m hoping to have this potential Uronema on its heels. We will see how the day progresses.

Tomorrow at the 48 hr mark for the first double dose of metro should I do a large WC to reduce the parasitic count in the tank? I plan on doing a FW dip today to give him some more relief (good idea or not?)
If you’re turning a corner I’d leave it alone to keep stress down and eating up. If it stops eating medicated food it could be all over fast.

I do the water change and redose every 48 hours for 10-14 days.

Fingers crossed! God is goood :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frtdrmrose7

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re turning a corner I’d leave it alone to keep stress down and eating up. If it stops eating medicated food it could be all over fast.

I do the water change and redose every 48 hours for 10-14 days.

Fingers crossed! God is goood :)

I have noticed he is flashing a lot this morning and I can see two raised spots on his side where he is flashing. Should I leave this alone for now?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed he is flashing a lot this morning and I can see two raised spots on his side where he is flashing. Should I leave this alone for now?
Yup his “skin” is irritated. It could also be flukes if you haven’t treated for that but IMO it’s not life threatening now keep the fish eating metro or GC and in the lowest stress environment possible.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 60 42.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back