Wrasses disappeared

Ewelina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have (or had) 2 six-line wrasses in my tank. They seemed ok, but then I did something that must have scared the hell out of them- two weeks ago I poured the water with kalk straight in the dt when changing water, making it very cloudy. I know, I know, I shouldn't have done that, but I didn't think it's going to be as bad, and was desperate to raise ph. Anyway, ever since that day both wrasses disappeared, and I haven't seen any sign of them anywhere. I checked the floor, the sump, the overflow- nothing. There's no dead bodies or skeletons lying around, so I'm thinking they hid somewhere underneath the sand. I'm just hoping they are still alive... is it possible for them to be still avolive even after all this time??

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have they been MIA for?

Anything is possible in the hobby. Do you have any pets? If so and they jumped pets will eat them right up.

OP
OP
Ewelina

Ewelina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have they been MIA for?

Anything is possible in the hobby. Do you have any pets? If so and they jumped pets will eat them right up.
They've been missing for 2 weeks. I don't have any pets that would walk around the tank. It's also a corner tank so quite difficult to reach in between the wall and the tank, but I was looking carefully and no bodies are around.

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they died in the tank then the cleanup crew will dispose of the body quickly. Ya no bones also. I've had fish not show for a month and all of a sudden they are alive. So keep hope up

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a six-line that was in a crevice of a piece of rock that I transported semi-dry with wet paper towels when I relocated 4 hours away. Had no idea he was in there and found him in the bottom of the bucket in 1" of water hours later and he survived.
So they are pretty hardy and might just be wedged into a hole in your live rock.

OP
OP
Ewelina

Ewelina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they died in the tank then the cleanup crew will dispose of the body quickly. Ya no bones also. I've had fish not show for a month and all of a sudden they are alive. So keep hope up
I'm trying to. It's just odd that it's both of them..

OP
OP
Ewelina

Ewelina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a six-line that was in a crevice of a piece of rock that I transported semi-dry with wet paper towels when I relocated 4 hours away. Had no idea he was in there and found him in the bottom of the bucket in 1" of water hours later and he survived.
So they are pretty hardy and might just be wedged into a hole in your live rock.
Wow. That's pretty crazy. I think I'll dig through the tank when I change the water.

colin obrien

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have (or had) 2 six-line wrasses in my tank. They seemed ok, but then I did something that must have scared the hell out of them- two weeks ago I poured the water with kalk straight in the dt when changing water, making it very cloudy. I know, I know, I shouldn't have done that, but I didn't think it's going to be as bad, and was desperate to raise ph. Anyway, ever since that day both wrasses disappeared, and I haven't seen any sign of them anywhere. I checked the floor, the sump, the overflow- nothing. There's no dead bodies or skeletons lying around, so I'm thinking they hid somewhere underneath the sand. I'm just hoping they are still alive... is it possible for them to be still avolive even after all this time??
I once got a lunar wrasse and as soon as it was in the tank it hid in the sand for 2 months before I ever saw it again. I thought it died! I wouldn't worry the sudden change in parameters might shocked and scared them. I hope the best for you!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sixlines don't bury, so that's not the situation.

They can find a crevice, but are usually pretty quick to resurface for food.

If they did perish, they can disappear completely quite rapidly.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back